+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 77 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jennifer Hudson - FINALIST

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2286422;
    I believe she could use an editor & English/grammar coach.
    I'll say!
    The elementary school kids -- for whom English is a second language -- I work with can write better than she does!
    I have a waiting list right now, but for the right price, I can arrange a bump to the top . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I couldn't get through that post. Halfway through the first 'paragraph', if you want to call it that, I realized she's completely dumb, barely literate and that she's making excuses for herself that I just don't buy.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I believe Jen, I'm disappointed in Simon.
    Last edited by KELBEL; 03-20-2007 at 11:11 AM.
    Freedom, Justice & Equality For All

FORT Fan
    I'm tired of American Idol trying to take credit for her success when it's so obvious to anyone who watched Jennifer's season that the judges were, at best, lukewarm about her. It makes their taste suspect.
    When she sang great they praised her and when she oversang they said so. Plus she was Randy's wild card pick--hardly "lukewarm." Jennifer on AI was like a baseball pitcher who could be dominate when in control of her vocal command and wild when her stuff got away from her. And having Fantasia and especially LaToya as foils who had better vocal control hurt.

FORT Fan
    Where does Jennifer go from here?

By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY
    An Oscar can be a blessing and a burden for an actor.

Opportunities can abound, but so do expectations. The pressure is only greater if you are one of the handful of winners through the years who took home the gold for a movie debut. What do you do for an encore?

Jennifer Hudson is playing it safe so far. The Dreamgirls success story and American Idol castoff has made her musical dreams a priority as she concentrates on finishing her debut solo CD with supermogul Clive Davis, due in the fall.

But this Cinderella gal whose gospel-trained vocal prowess could shatter more than a few glass slippers has insisted all along that she plans to continue her acting career. And her next move will prove whether Hudson is a one-note wonder or a performer of vast range, especially if her next assignment doesn't involve carrying a tune.

History reveals that it won't be easy to follow up her breakthrough as Effie White, the brassy soul diva who wails the emotionally charged ballad, And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going). For one, adaptations of great musicals, if you can find one in an era without a Rodgers and Hammerstein to call its own, are still considered box-office risks.

For another, Effie was invented for someone of Hudson's oversized talents and ample physical presence. Can she find another perfect fit again? Jennifer Holliday, who soared as the original Effie on stage, never could.

Consider Julie Andrews, an established Broadway sensation who won for her first film as the practically perfect nanny in the 1964 musical Mary Poppins. She went against type and next did the wartime comedy curiosity The Americanization of Emily. And no one much cared, until she did The Sound of Music in 1965 — as another singing nanny.

Then there is Barbra Streisand, who took home an Academy Award for her big-screen debut as comedian Fanny Brice in the 1968 musical Funny Girl, a role she originated on stage that suited her like a custom girdle. Wisely, she picked a musical for her second film. Unwisely, it was Hello, Dolly!, in a role created and owned by Carol Channing, who was deemed unsuitable for the big-screen version.

It wasn't until she eschewed Broadway and showed off her screwball skills in What's Up, Doc? in 1972 and her romantic potential in The Way We Were in 1973 that Streisand secured her place as a legit movie star.

Sometimes compromises and adjustments have to be made. Marlee Matlin, the actress who won for her debut in 1986's Children of a Lesser God, found it difficult to find work that did not revolve around her deafness.

"I was 21 when I won," says the actress who has a recurring role in the Showtime series The L Word and was part of the ensemble on The West Wing. "I was very young. I was both grown-up but very, very na´ve. TV seemed an easier choice since the writing accommodated a deaf actor more than feature films. On TV, you have a whole season to establish a character."

She says she continues to be defined by her winning role as a defiant deaf woman whose world is opened up by William Hurt's speech teacher at a school for the deaf. "People still compare what I do to Children of a Lesser God. It is hard enough to convince an audience to believe you in a role, let alone be compared to another role you are known for."

A different challenge faces Hudson, though. Five of 20 best acting nominees this year were black, suggesting better roles are coming their way. Yet Halle Berry has yet to find a part as rich as her world-weary waitress in Monster's Ball six years after making history as the first black lead actress to take the honor — although word is this year's Things We Lost in the Fire could be the one.

Then again, Hudson could learn to roll with the punches and carve out her own opportunities like Queen Latifah, who also got her start on TV and in music, and has capitalized on her Oscar nomination in the 2002 musical Chicago by starting a production company.

As Queen Latifah told the New York Post's Cindy Adams last year: "I look to stay in my own lane. Show business is a business, and I'm trying to do things in my way. If I'd allowed myself to get too taken up by everything, my star would have gone out a long time ago."

How can Hudson keep her own star burning? The only hints of what she would like to pursue were her mentions of working with niche filmmaker Tyler Perry (Diary of a Mad Black Woman) and wanting a role in the Jackie Robinson biopic produced by and starring Robert Redford.

If she needs a cheerleader, there is no one more qualified than Liza Minnelli, who won her Oscar for the 1972 musical Cabaret. Declaring Hudson's win as "wonderful," she also says: "OK, honey, now start workin' on the next one."

Where does Jennifer go from here? - USATODAY.com

Does anyone know when DreamGirls is coming out on DVD?
    Count your blessings!

According to this site, it's May 1, 2007.

Dreamgirls (2006)

Yea! and thanks! Until then, I'll keep wearing out the soundtrack in my car.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2295343;
    Yea! and thanks! Until then, I'll keep wearing out the soundtrack in my car.
    You and me both. I love that soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug123;2293147;
    When she sang great they praised her and when she oversang they said so. Plus she was Randy's wild card pick--hardly "lukewarm." Jennifer on AI was like a baseball pitcher who could be dominate when in control of her vocal command and wild when her stuff got away from her. And having Fantasia and especially LaToya as foils who had better vocal control hurt.
    I know Randy picked her as a wildcard, but Fantasia sounded like she was singing with helium. Lotoya was good, but in a season where Fantasia and Diana Degarmo won? I did like Fantasia's version of Summertime but that was about it. Jennifer should have won that year. I remember Simon point blank saying to her "simply not good enough", and now he's begging for her approval. This is a man who produced music albums for the teletubbies, and albums for wrestlings fans, and his biggest hit was this terrible song called "Boy Toy", that makes the Spice Girls look like Mozart.

+ Reply to Thread