+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jennifer Hudson - FINALIST

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2256529;
    No one coming out of Idol would be where they are without idol. Not a single one.
    Probably. Especially in the case of those who got record deals right away because of Idol. (Jennifer was not one of them.)
    But we don't know that for sure.

On the flip side, success after the show has NOTHING to do with Idol - and EVERYTHING to do with management, career choices, and LUCK.
    Oh, I think the post-show success of the winners and some of the others signed by RMG has a lot to do with the extent to which 19E promoted or did not promote them. The other "also-rans," not so much.

Jennifer got lucky with Dream Girls. She would NEVER have been on the radar without Idol and she would never have known about the audition without idol.
    So nobody but former Idol contestants knew about the audition or got to audition?

Still, she new to try out and work hard along the way. So, AI got her there, but she made it work after the fact.
    Which is why I think it's completely appropriate that in her short acceptance speech she didn't mention the whole laundry list of people and things that had helped her get where she was, including Idol. It's not like Simon Cowell or the other PTB at Idol have been raving about her talent and star qualities since the early part of 2004.
    (On the contrary, Simon Cowell pronounced to the whole huge international Idol viewing audience that Jennifer did not have what it takes to be a star.
    Now that she's proved him wrong, he wants to take credit?)
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum-ECT-girl;2258182;
    Also, Queen Lahtifa and others are not relegated to only the WB.
    Queen Lahtifa comes across as much more likable and talented than Hudson. There are lots of people that have the same amount of contempt I have for cRap, but few that surpass it. Yet I've liked her from the first time I saw her sitcom. She has a personality that grabbed me from the start. I smile every time I see her despite my prejudice against her "music".

Jennifer Hudson's Oscars Scandal!
    Tuesday February 27, 2007

Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson may have walked away with gold, but according to the actress (and many critics), her red carpet style was anything but award-winning.

In a Today Show interview, the 25-year-old American Idol alum admitted to Matt Lauer on Tuesday that her outfit was her only Oscar regret - adding fuel to a Page Six report that Hudson was forced to wear the much-maligned metallic bolero jacket picked by her stylist, Vogue editor Andre Leon Tally.

"Jennifer was kind of sponsored by Talley and Vogue," snitches a Page Six source. "Andre insisted she wear that hideous Oscar de la Renta dress with the awful, awful gold python bolero. "Jennifer really didn't want to, and so [noted celebrity stylist] Jessica Paster got her a beautiful gold Roberto Cavalli custom-made. But when Andre found out, he went ballistic. Moments before she left for the show, there was a power struggle and Jennifer ended up putting his outfit on."

Jennifer's obviously a much nicer person than we are, as we would have taken Tally to task in the only way we know how: Wrapped the man in a roll of Reynold's Wrap and sent him waddling down the red carpet instead. Cooktime: WAY overdone.

Link

This could be some subtle blame shifting going on by her management...

On the other hand, its at least believable. I mean I gasped out loud when I saw that trainwreck of a dress/jacket. And I'm a fashion ignoramus. It just looked like crap.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Asylum-ECT-girl;2257251;
    I can't wait until "Dreamgirls" is out on DVD to see it. But I hear that Diana Ross and Smokey are angry over this film because it is semi-autobiographical. It makes a mockery of Motown and the artists of that era.

Poor Beyonce; she must be crying in her pillow about now, lol.
    I saw the movie Dreamgirls and I own the original broadway cast album. Both the movie and musical were loosely based on Motown artists and other artists. IMO neither made a mockery of the artists in that era. They just showed how business was done both the good and the bad.

I'm sure Beyonce is laughing all the way to the bank with the success of this movie!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2258219;
    Queen Lahtifa comes across as much more likable and talented than Hudson. There are lots of people that have the same amount of contempt I have for cRap, but few that surpass it. Yet I've liked her from the first time I saw her sitcom. She has a personality that grabbed me from the start. I smile every time I see her despite my prejudice against her "music".
    Side note. If likeable was in someway more important than talent then we would never known Barbra Striesand, Marlon Brando, Mick Jaeger and the endless list of artist who have entertained and in some measure illuminated human nature.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;2258795;
    I saw the movie Dreamgirls and I own the original broadway cast album. Both the movie and musical were loosely based on Motown artists and other artists. IMO neither made a mockery of the artists in that era. They just showed how business was done both the good and the bad.
    Did Motown make such a cry about the Broadway play or was it just the success of the film reaching a wider audience?

I saw an interview with Jennifer Holiday where she said that she is Effie. I kind of irked me. No one said your weren't Effie. They were just awarding Jennifer Hudson for a job well done. Ms. Holiday was also open about how upset she was that she didn't get a role in the film and Loretta Divine did. I don't like when stars get bitter.

FORT Fogey
    Alot of Broadway stars have been pissed for being looked over when there shows became hits. Alot of Broadway stars don't have the X factor to transfer on to film. Katherine Hepburn was pissed when one of her broadway shows was made into a film and she was selected for the role because she was known as box office poision for a while. So, she brought the play Philadephia Story and force to the studios to cast her and the rest is history. Getting piss is the first step, Getting even is the final one.

stuck in reality Asylum-ECT-girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2259308;
    Did Motown make such a cry about the Broadway play or was it just the success of the film reaching a wider audience?
    Well I saw Diana Ross in an interview saying she didn't see the play nor the movie; she is considering seeing it though, with her lawyer! She wonders if she should be "paid" for them using her likeness and autobiography. Jennifer Holiday did not create Efie; Efie is loosely based on Florence Ballards life and her tragic outcome when she was with the Supremes.

I haven't even seen the play or movie yet; but from the articles I have read, Motown and others are upset over their depictions. Notice the movie could not use any Motown songs? That would have made the movie much better if they had.
    Last edited by Asylum-ECT-girl; 02-28-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum-ECT-girl;2259529;
    Well I saw Diana Ross in an interview saying she didn't see the play nor the movie; she is considering seeing it though, with her lawyer! She wonders if she should be "paid" for them using her likeness and autobiography. Jennifer Holiday did not create Efie; Efie is loosely based on Florence Ballards life and her tragic outcome when she was with the Supremes.

I haven't even seen the play or movie yet; but from the articles I have read, Motown and others are upset over their depictions. Notice the movie could not use any Motown songs? That would have made the movie much better if they had.
    Why would the movie have used Motown songs when the play didn't?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread