+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jennifer Hudson - FINALIST

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2257197;
    Christina Aguilera does it all the time. While many black singers may do it, because R&B and soul music may lend itself to those extra vocal effects, and it can be found in black churches, calling it "Black Diva syndrome" is a bit much.
    Since I'm a black diva and believe I can peg others as so.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2257232;
    I am so relieved that I didn't waste money going to see Dreamgirls if that horrendous caterwauling at the Oscars was a true representation of its music. I thought that the 3 women were based on the Supremes, but Diana Ross and Co never sang (screamed/screeched) like that.
    I guess you never heard the Supremes before they hit it big when Florence Ballard was the lead singer. It's interesting how one performance can trashed one's opinion of a broadway show that ran for ever and a hit movie musical.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum-ECT-girl;2257251;
    I bet she didn't even thank AI for giving her a start. .
    Actually, she did thank AI at every awards show where she won. She did not go as far as thanking Simon but she did thank AI for giving her a chance to be noticed

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Asylum-ECT-girl;2257251;
    Poor Beyonce; she must be crying in her pillow about now, lol.
    why? even in the brodway version effie was pretty much the one with the real acting.

Jolly's Journal rocks! davidbird's Avatar
    yeah, the Oscar performance was NOTHING like the performances in the movies. Those were excellent, and Jennifer's singing performance was very moving. I think as she gets older and more objective about her performances she'll realize she doesn't have to try so hard and that people don't like that as much.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbird;2257648;
    yeah, the Oscar performance was NOTHING like the performances in the movies. Those were excellent, and Jennifer's singing performance was very moving. I think as she gets older and more objective about her performances she'll realize she doesn't have to try so hard and that people don't like that as much.
    You can take the girl out of the church and put her on a stage, put you canít take the church out of the girl. And I like her just the way she is. Maybe itís a cultural thing. Jennifer doesnít need a Supreme makeover to become more palpable to those who donít like her. Popular US is rooted in black/church music. Tina Turner learned how to sing in church and people thought she was too wild and voice was to bombastic but millions love her. Rap/Hip hop was born in the inner city. Now corporate America uses the music to sell everything. Jennifer, go on with what GOD gave you and forget the detractors. Like you said in your interview, God has a plan for you.

she'll carve out a nice career in Afro-American stage plays like "Mama, he ain't good for you!" or "Baby, he's trifflin'!" maybe she'll end up with a gig on the WB, but music-wise, I don't see a singing career. Still, I'm glad she got her damn Oscar and we can move on

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudatskee;2257730;
    she'll carve out a nice career in Afro-American stage plays like "Mama, he ain't good for you!" or "Baby, he's trifflin'!" maybe she'll end up with a gig on the WB, but music-wise, I don't see a singing career. Still, I'm glad she got her damn Oscar and we can move on
    Almost crossing the line. As Ellen said at the Oscars: Movies would be nothing with out the Jews, Blacks and Gays. The same thing can be said about music. I guess to each is own. I rather have Little Richard than the waterdown version of Pat Boone any day. But diversity is what it is. Plus, I don't think Martin Lawrence and Jamie Fox whose shows were on the WB are upset with how their careers are going.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2257197;
    Christina Aguilera does it all the time.
    While many black singers may do it, because R&B and soul music may lend itself to those extra vocal effects, and it can be found in black churches, calling it "Black Diva syndrome" is a bit much.
    Kelly Clarkson has been known to do it too. And nobody does it more than Mariah Carey.
    It's more a contemporary pop/r&b 'diva' thing than a "black" thing.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ß;-D

stuck in reality Asylum-ECT-girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2257746;
    Almost crossing the line. As Ellen said at the Oscars: Movies would be nothing with out the Jews, Blacks and Gays. The same thing can be said about music. I guess to each is own. I rather have Little Richard than the waterdown version of Pat Boone any day. But diversity is what it is. Plus, I don't think Martin Lawrence and Jamie Fox whose shows were on the WB are upset with how their careers are going.
    You are right. That comment crossed the line and was very stereotypical. The term is African American anyway. The Tyler Perry stage plays have gone on to become very successful movies; I hope Jennifer will be in one of his movies. But I hope she is not typecasts. Also, Queen Lahtifa and others are not relegated to only the WB.

Jennifer can be as big as Patti Labele; Patti sells out shows where ever she performs. I seen her in Vegas years ago and she was fabulous.

+ Reply to Thread