+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jennifer Hudson - FINALIST

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbird;2256774;
    I was happy Jennifer won, and I liked her on AI 3, but I have to say her singing performance at the Oscars highlighted why she got cut from Idol early--her tendency to scream and oversing to the point where she gets incoherent. I think she truly has a great voice, I wish she wouldn't overdo things like that.
    It's called the Black Diva syndrome. Have you ever seen save the music on vh1. Patti Labelle, Mary J Blige, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and a whole host of artist have the tendency to over sing and drown out the other. It's a black church thing and Jennifer wasn't screaming. And her reason for losing AI according to Simon was that Jennifer was out of league. Well with the Oscar and other being in the company of these other song birds, I believe his was correct. Jennifer is way out of AI league.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2256766;
    you are being a bit harsh there.
    give her some credits
    I didn't like what she said, what she wore and the way she performed. That's not harsh, that's just an opinion, albeit a negative one. To her credit, she did take off that horrendous silver (hopefully) faux snake skin jacket that reminded me of a Star Trek mutant's wardrobe.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Jhud just about had a wardrobe malfunction during that performance.

Which would have lived up the Academy Awards show for me immensely... *evil grin*

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2256816;
    It's called the Black Diva syndrome. Have you ever seen save the music on vh1. Patti Labelle, Mary J Blige, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and a whole host of artist have the tendency to over sing and drown out the other.
    Christina Aguilera does it all the time. While many black singers may do it, because R&B and soul music may lend itself to those extra vocal effects, and it can be found in black churches, calling it "Black Diva syndrome" is a bit much.

FORT Fogey
    I was happy Jennifer won, and I liked her on AI 3, but I have to say her singing performance at the Oscars highlighted why she got cut from Idol early--her tendency to scream and oversing to the point where she gets incoherent. I think she truly has a great voice, I wish she wouldn't overdo things like that.
    Yeah, and all the other divas do it better that she does. Last night was interesting. I thought Jennifer could out sing Beyonce - from a "belting-it-out" perspective - but Beyonce's voice is much prettier.

And in the end, I thought the 3rd girl did better than both of these two. Or at least she's who I enjoyed the most.
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    That third girl, Anika Noni Rose, won a Tony award. I'm surpised she hasn't received more press from the film. She is just as good of a singer.

I am so relieved that I didn't waste money going to see Dreamgirls if that horrendous caterwauling at the Oscars was a true representation of its music. I thought that the 3 women were based on the Supremes, but Diana Ross and Co never sang (screamed/screeched) like that.

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2257232;
    I am so relieved that I didn't waste money going to see Dreamgirls if that horrendous caterwauling at the Oscars was a true representation of its music...
    The live performances bear no resemblance to the recorded versions. And that is an important point. Jennifer Hudson sounds phenomenal in the movie, but itís a controlled recording. (one that may have taken several attempts to get right) Her performance at the Oscars was reminiscent of her appearance on AI. She was all over the place with very little control, and attempted to cover it up with over singing.

As to a live performance, I think Lakisha from this season of AI does a fantastic live version of ĎIím not goingí. However, based on her performances during season three and last night Iím not anxious to hear Jennifer sing again 'live' in the near future.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

stuck in reality Asylum-ECT-girl's Avatar
    I bet she didn't even thank AI for giving her a start. Without her exposure on AI she wouldn't have gotten that part. She must have great magnetic energy to have gotten so many awards for her first film role. I remember that Elton John was highly upset when Jennifer got cut; he blamed racism in America. But now she is "really" validated.

I can't wait until "Dreamgirls" is out on DVD to see it. But I hear that Diana Ross and Smokey are angry over this film because it is semi-autobiographical. It makes a mockery of Motown and the artists of that era.

Poor Beyonce; she must be crying in her pillow about now, lol.

her redcarpet outfit was a bigmess from space....but Iam happy she won,I looooooved dreamgirls

+ Reply to Thread