+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    One thing I worry about last night's performances is that she was the first person to give one of those cheesy intermission speaches. When she started talking, I said to myself, "Oh crap, what the hell is she doing?" I thought it was an impromptu hamming for the camera. Of course, I was wrong, but it didn't become clear until the next contestant also came out and spoke. Unfortunately, I can imagine some people who are critics or are on the fence about her may be less forgiving and hold on to that initial negative, albeit incorrect, reaction.
    What are you talking about ?

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    What are you talking about ?
    Perhaps, that post wasn't as coherent as it should have been What I was trying to say was that Diana's little transition speech made me worried. When she started talking, I had the same feeling you get when one of your favorites starts arguing with the judges (the "oh no, what are you doing? Don't you know talking back is going to hurt you?" feeling) I pretty much maintained that "oh crap, this isn't good" attitude until I found out they were all going to give transitional speeches, which was when George did his, 2 songs and one intermission later. Once I realized that, I didn't have a problem with what she said; hell, I'm rooting for Diana. But if I were one her detractors, seeing her talk and not knowing that she and everyone else was supposed to talk, would fuel my negative attitude against her, even if I later found out the basis for it was false.

I don't know if that makes much more sense, but, eh who cares? She was safe.

Quote Originally Posted by pokealot214
    Of the four left, I believe Diana to be the MOST believable!! She is not trying to hide her past accomplishments. She tries to meet each genre head on. She doesn't use other people to try to grab votes from. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with me, but that's what makes this forum so enjoyable to me, that we can each voice our own opinions and sit back to see how many people agree or disagree.
    Unfortunately, she can't sing. She can yell pretty loud and on-key, however, that is not singing.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    Perhaps, that post wasn't as coherent as it should have been What I was trying to say was that Diana's little transition speech made me worried. When she started talking, I had the same feeling you get when one of your favorites starts arguing with the judges (the "oh no, what are you doing? Don't you know talking back is going to hurt you?" feeling) I pretty much maintained that "oh crap, this isn't good" attitude until I found out they were all going to give transitional speeches, which was when George did his, 2 songs and one intermission later. Once I realized that, I didn't have a problem with what she said; hell, I'm rooting for Diana. But if I were one her detractors, seeing her talk and not knowing that she and everyone else was supposed to talk, would fuel my negative attitude against her, even if I later found out the basis for it was false.

I don't know if that makes much more sense, but, eh who cares? She was safe.
    You crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    Unfortunately, she can't sing. She can yell pretty loud and on-key, however, that is not singing.
    I disagree. I think that Diana is a great singer. Perhaps as she proceeds in her singing career she will learn and embrace the concept of subtlety, but she rarely misses a note. And I don't think she yells--she knows she can hit a glory note, and so she does. She sings circles around some other cartoon-like contestants in the competition, IMO.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Quote Originally Posted by royalcloudjumpe
    no problem pokealot214.....I really understand what you are saying....many people have so many double standards. For example it's phony if Diana has a couple tears in her eyes....but it shows LaToya finally displaying emotion? I don't get some of these people that make these claims.
    Oh well. what can you do.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    You are proving Royalcloubjumpe's & pokealot214's point. Diana gets bashed for the same thing the others do or don't do. I haven't heard Diana scream once, she has remarkable control over her voice. It amazes me to see this in a 16 year old. She may have hit a few flat notes here and there, but she is not a screamer.

I don't hear as many complaints about Latoya that she she is not 'feeling her songs', this just seems to be the theme of attack for Diana because Simon mentioned it. Now, Latoya is my second favorite and I think this might be one of her weaknesses - much more so than Diana. (I think Latoya's issue is she's trying too hard, but I won't go into here cause this is Diana's thread.)

Has anyone else noticed Fantasia feels threatened by Diana? When Fantasia sang Summertime and her last song she made it a point to say, several times, "I was feeling my song". She seems to mention this at any opportunity. She started this after Simon criticized Diana not feeling the song. To her credit Fantasia recognizes Diana's talent and sees her as a threat.

I think Diana should do well next week with Disco. Although, I don't know if Simon will give her credit if she does well. I think his big problem with Diana is her age; he doesn't want a 16 year to win. He might over compliment Latoya and Fantasia and diss Diana, regardless of what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    You are proving Royalcloubjumpe's & pokealot214's point. Diana gets bashed for the same thing the others do or don't do. I haven't heard Diana scream once, she has remarkable control over her voice. It amazes me to see this in a 16 year old. She may have hit a few flat notes here and there, but she is not a screamer.
    Maybe you're right and I just don't like her style of singing. But when she sang "Think" Monday night and then "Get Happy" on Tuesday night I couldn't help but think about the "high school talent show" performance that Simon had accused her of early on in the competition.

Yes, she is young and maybe maturity will help her get passed the pageant style of singing, but as far as I can tell she is loud to compensate for her lack of ability to really sing. Give me a voice coach for 10 years and I can "sing" like that too.

I hate the way Simon has treated Diana during most of the competition!! Why does he do that? He has decided who the Final Two will be. OK, but at least Randy acknowledges that Diana also belongs with Latoya and Fantasia! It is very important that Diana fans really back her up on Tuesday!! Secretly, I wish Diana would knock Fantasia out of the competition. I know it won't happen--but that would be a shocker, huh?[/QUOTE]

I have stated many time that Simon has been brutal to Diana. I have never understood this & am very saddened by it. Also, there is no secretly about it for me, I hope Diana beats Fantasia & it comes down to her & LaToya in the finals.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I don't understand Simon's disdain for Diana either.

He has never said (at least to my recollection), that her voice/singing was not up to par. His criticism has always been on her "connection" and age - sometimes too young, sometimes too old.

I would love to see her make the Top 3.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolls
    I disagree. I think that Diana is a great singer. Perhaps as she proceeds in her singing career she will learn and embrace the concept of subtlety, but she rarely misses a note. And I don't think she yells--she knows she can hit a glory note, and so she does. She sings circles around some other cartoon-like contestants in the competition, IMO.
    I agree with you Lolls, but I'm hardly an expert on music or proper vocal technique.

Fortunately, there are smarter people than me who also agree. What I've found really informative is this weekly column written by very intelligent voice instructor that breaks down each contestant's performances into strengths and weaknesses. It's not only really fascinating stuff, but it also shows how many "holiday inn express voice experts" that AI has created. (like that commercial where the guys say "No, I'm not a surgeon, but I did stay at holiday inn express last night")

For example, this is what she said about Diana's performances this week:
    Diana Degarmo: “Get Happy” and “Someone to Watch Over Me”
    Strengths: Diana, you sang one of my favorite Gershwin numbers, “Someone To Watch Over Me,” and it was just superb! This was such a great song choice for you; it was absolutely first class all the way. Your voice had such a glorious ring and resonating presence throughout this song and it is very evident that you have been the recipient of some wonderful technical guidance and expertise in your young singing career. Congratulations to all of your teachers, Diana, as their technical wisdom has ensured that your vocal gifts will be protected and sustained throughout your singing career.

You sang “Someone To Watch Over Me” with such consummate sensitivity and artistry. As beautiful as this song is, it is also deceptively difficult, as the opening phrase of this song quickly ascends into the upper range. The singer has to make certain that the sound is successfully supported throughout the major ninth range in that first phrase or else the vocal phrasing will sound ragged and uneven. Additionally, there are some tricky interval jumps throughout this song that require the same kind of attention. I felt that you really managed these technical problems very well, Diana, as I know this requires superb, first rate technique and you are the best technical singer in the Top 12 – no contest!

Your second song was a joy and Judy Garland would be proud to see and hear your version of this great song. “Get Happy” is such a wonderful throwback number and you performed it with a genuine sense of elation and enthusiasm. It was stylistically and technically brilliant, and I absolutely adored your smooth legato style in the middle of the song. It was a great contrast to the more buoyant melodic rhythm in the rest of the song. Additionally, you handled the key transition very well – it was generally pitch perfect and flawless! Another great week for you, Lady Di! Excellent stuff!

Critique: Diana, like Fantasia, I felt that you were having problems accessing the center of your pitch in your lower range. You have to work at developing your ability to focus and resonate the lower part of your range with the same technical proficiency that you demonstrate when you sing in your middle and upper range. Sometimes, this is a maturation process, as the voice naturally deepens with age. However, until this happens, really work at developing, through correct technical support in the diaphragm, a really resonant and ringing vocal sound in the lower part of your vocal range. I am glad that you don’t force the sound – this is good and you are not a belter. Just keep working and finessing, through the benefit of technical exercises and vocalizes, this still evolving segment in your vocal range and gradually this problem will improve. Additionally, I really missed your long sustained phrasing ability in the first selection. Usually, your breathing technique is really excellent, so I was surprised to hear you breathing so often during this number. Try not to break up the phrases too often, as I know that you have the ability to carry your vocal line for a longer period of time than was evidenced this week.

Also, you move very well on stage. However, I felt that your stage moves for the second song were a bit awkward and, at times, almost tentative. This is the first time that I have seen this happen. Perhaps you were nervous and maybe over-pumped for the Big Band performance. Keep working on your stage skills and really plan and choreograph even the simplest movements so that nothing is left to chance. However, I am really nitpicking in an otherwise brilliant performance this week, Diana! Congratulations
    You can find her column here.

btw, later in the column she has several comments about Latoya her loud "forte" voice a little too much.

+ Reply to Thread