+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3383123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1367
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

Wow, she's only 18! I'd forgotten how young she was when she was on Idol.

That's a pretty impressive follow up to coming in second on Idol.

If anybody is interested in reading what is being said about Diana in Hairspray.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/r...887484#1916875

CHANNELING THEATRE: Chatting with Diana DeGarmo

Meanwhile, Broadway's Hairspray, which won eight 2003 Tony Awards, just racked up 1,480 performances at the Neil Simon Theatre. Currently (through May 14) playing Penny Pingleton, the heroine's best friend, is a newcomer making her Broadway debut: Diana DeGarmo.

Runner-up on the third season of "American Idol," the enthusiastic 18 year old explains how her journey from TV took place. "They asked if I'd like to audition. Obviously, theatre wasn't the first thing I was doing. [Her career] was mainly recordings and concerts. I thought: 'I guess I can audition. You never know -- you may meet somebody.'"

She flew to New York from her Atlanta home, and "didn't think it went well at all. Five minutes and they said, 'Thank you.' I got back on the plane. But before I had even landed, they had offered me the part. My mother was waiting at the airport. She said, 'You've got to call your agent.' I called; he said, 'You got it.' I could hardly believe it. It's been a great experience so far!

"No matter who you are, it's always nice to say you've done something on Broadway," claims the former Miss Teen Georgia (2002). "I feel very fortunate to have gotten in with a great cast and crew. We call it 'the Spray Family.' [Laughs.] They've been really great in welcoming me and not scaring me with too much Broadway. I was a little nervous."

How was her first Broadway performance in comparison with "American Idol"? Says Diana, "The great thing about it is you're not being judged. [Well, Simon Cowell's not sitting front row, center.] It was pretty calm. You're standing backstage, and all of a sudden the music starts for 'Good Morning Baltimore' [the musical's first number]. Every night, the reaction is different. That's what I love about live theatre.

"I think Penny's character has space to do a lot more than any other character in the show. I get to be goofy and funny, and yet she's sweet. I really play off being the best friend. After the show, so many people say, 'I just loved your character,' and I say, 'Yea!'"

Singing since childhood, DeGarmo recalls, "I started to get paid about age five. I've always been a ham! In middle school I started taking it seriously, and it just sort of snowballed. I auditioned for 'Idol'; here I am today."

Having done "some theatre stuff in the Atlanta area when I was young," she considers her real stage debut to be when she played Maria in the November 2005 production of West Side Story at San Jose's American Musical Theatre. "It was great! The cool thing was that half the cast was from New York and half from the Bay Area. So, now I have friends both places."

One thing Diana "loves about the theatre industry as a whole is that it's so regimented. There are eight shows a week, and if you don't do your job, you get fired. The rest of the entertainment industry is flying by the seat of your pants and holding on for dear life."

Right before her Broadway stint, DeGarmo "did a USO tour with General Peter Pace, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It was one of the most amazing and humbling experiences I've ever had. I come from a military family my grandfather, uncles, my brother have all been in the service and I had a respect for [the enlisted]. But to see what these men and women do, up close and personal, was eye-opening. We started the day after Christmas, and did thirteen shows in eight countries [including Iraq and Afghanistan] in seven days."

Her first solo album, "Blue Skies," was released in December 2004, and DeGarmo's at work on the follow-up, for which she's writing songs. "And I don't call myself Diane Warren by any means." (Warren is a multiple Grammy/ASCAP/BMI awards winner, whose songs have been recorded by several top names.) Will the new album consist of all original material? "I don't know yet. We're taking it slowly because we want it to be the best it can. A good song is a good song no matter who wrote it."

Has she stayed in touch with any of the "American Idol" contestants? "Oh, yes, quite a few. Some of them are coming up to see me in [Hairspray] in a couple of weeks. Amy Adams, who was from my season, is doing a tour as the Narrator in Joseph [and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat]. She said, 'Look at us. We're doing theatre. Who would have thought?' I'm so proud of her."

A fan of musical theatre, DeGarmo remembers "coming up to New York and seeing Les Miz and Chicago. And whenever Annie or Camelot would come to Atlanta, my mom and I would go. But I never really thought that I could do Broadway."

Does she foresee doing more theatre? "This summer, I'm doing a tour of Brooklyn [with Melba Moore]. I'm terribly excited; I can't stand it. After that, I don't know." There are also several concerts lined up. Admits Diana DeGarmo, "It's non-stop. I wish there was a break, but there isn't. [Laughs.] Later on in life, I'll have time for a break."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/98418.html
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

I have never seen the show Blow Out, I believe it is on Bravo & is about a beauty salon owner & all the hairdressers that work there. Anyway, last night on Reality Remix they had a recap of the first episode from the third season. The owner of the salon flew from LA where the show takes place to NYC & did Diana's hair. It was pretty cool to see her & she looked really good when he got done. I would imagine that was one of the most expensive hair do's in history.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/14206559.htm

Wed, Mar. 29, 2006
    AMT adds shows starring Rivera and DeGarmo to lineup
    By Karen D'Souza - Mercury News
    "Chita Rivera: A Dancer's Life'' and a production of "Brooklyn: The Musical'' with Diana DeGarmo are coming to the American Musical Theatre of San Jose.
    [quote]"Brooklyn,'' an urban fairy tale about a young girl searching for fame, will run this summer from Aug. 9-13. DeGarmo, first noticed on TV's "American Idol,'' recently played Maria in "West Side S
    Good to see Diana is getting her career going even if her CD did not sell a lot. She has a lot of potential I think.

I remember reading a report that said Diana was pretty much banished to perform at Disneyland, where the only hordes of screaming fans she had were 6 year olds. Great pity as I personally loved her CD.

Nice to know she's getting back on track. Clive Davis did not help her at all with the persona he created for her on that CD... a angsty/moody seventeen year old frustrated with love! That just wasn't the girl we knew from the show at all. A CD more like Hilary Duff's "Metamorphosis" would have been much better, I think.
    2003-2008.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I actually liked quite a few songs off of her CD and hated that it didn't do better. I was a Fantasia fan all the way but I did appreciate Diana's voice and poise that she had for such a young girl...plus she had Alabama roots also! I'm glad to see that she is doing so well post-Idol.

I, myself, would LOVE to see a Idol reunion show....make it a 2 hour show (at least)...bring back all the seasons....talk about what they are all doing....it would be a great ego boost for AI to show how many successful contestants they have had that have not won the title...you've got recording artists in all genres (country, pop, gospel, hip hop, etc), Broadway stars, movie stars, television personalities, etc........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Wouldn't it be great to see Diana in a broadway night episode? I'm so happy she's doing so well. I sent her album to my grandniece who loved it. My niece has a 3-octave voice. Who knows, maybe someday she'll be on Idol.

On this weeks edition of Idol Extra, they had a really nice piece on Diana. She took everyone on a tour of the Theatre where she is appearing & went back stage, into the dressing rooms, hair & makeup. Really nice behind the scenes stuff. She said that their microphones are actually under the wigs they wear & they sort of hang down under their bangs. She said that originally there was a movie version of Hairspray being planned & she was looking into it, then the producers of the play called & asked if she would audition for them. She flew to NYC & went in & did a 5 min. audition that she didn't think went very well, because they just dismissed her with one of those "OK Thank You" type of things. So she just got on the plane back to Atlanta & before she landed they had called her agent & offered her the part. She sure sounded happy & upbeat & her career is in full upswing right now. Go for it Diana.

I wanted to edit this to add that IMO she is still the most talented 16yr. old they have ever had on the show. Regardless of Simon's dislike of her.
    Last edited by razorbacker; 04-03-2006 at 10:19 AM.

FORT Fogey
    I agree. Ultimately, I was a Fantasia fan, but Diana had the stronger voice. I agree, too, that she probably has the strongest voice of 16 year old contestants, but I'd also suggest she has the strongest voice of all previous contestants with the possible exception of Kellie Clarkson and maybe Mandissa.

+ Reply to Thread