+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3282122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137 LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1367
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    Hey, that's in my neck of the woods. I just may go & see it.
    I would if I lived in that area. If you do decide to go please stop back by here & give us a review. She definitely has the voice, it will be interesting to see if she can develope the stage skills to go with it.

The following are reviews of Diana in her West Side Story appearances. They are all pretty positive & speak well of Diana.They are long so I didnít post the articles, but if you are interested.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/me.../wss-0545.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...g/13069187.htm

It looks as though Diana's career may be in for another role on the stage. I would like to see this work out for her. Reports also have her working on a second album. Hopefully, Clive Davis stays far,far away.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=6047

Paint Your Wagon, with Revisions, May Be Heading for Bway

November 23, 2005 - by BWW News Desk
    The 1951 Lerner and Loewe musical Paint Your Wagon will be rolling to other theatrical plains after producers Christopher Allen, D. Constantine Conte and Larry Spellman met with Utah's Pioneer Theatre Company to discuss future plans for a new, possibly Broadway-bound, production of the overlooked musical.

With music by Frederick Loewe and a book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner (who with Loewe, penned My Fair Lady, Brigadoon and Camelot), Paint Your Wagon was a moderate hit; it ran for 289 performances at the Shubert Theatre in a production that featured Agnes DeMille's choreography. A musical western that also recounts the romance of Jennifer Rumson, a gold prospector's daughter and Julio, a Mexican boy, Paint Your Wagon's score features such classics as "They Call the Wind Maria," "I Talk to the Trees," "Wand'rin' Star" and others. The book, however, is considered to be problematic; a 2004 production at the Geffen Playhouse in L.A., made use of a revised score and libretto (with changes by David Rambo).

Directed by Geffen artistic director Gil Cates (who will not be on board for the new production), the L.A. staging also featured Sharon Lawrence (Chicago, "NYPD Blue") as Lily, a new character who was added to serve as the love interest for Ben Rumson, the prospector who was played in the original Broadway production by James Barton.

The new Paint Your Wagon would also feature the Rambo revisions. Allen, one of the producers, has been working on preparing a polished version of the musical for seven years. Allen stated that Paint Your Wagon's rousing and rambunctious score was Loewe's favorite. On the future of the show, he said, "We learned from the Geffen production. As a result of that, Pioneer Theatre in Utah came to us and was interested in mounting the next step…revising from what we learned in L.A." A creative team is currently being assembled, and the producers are reportedly in talks with "American Idol's"'s Diana DeGarmo and country singer Larry Gatlin (for the roles of Jennifer and Ben Rumson, respectively).
    Paint Your Wagon was preserved in an unsuccessful 1969 film version that starred Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin, Harve Presnell and Jean Seberg. Directed by Joshua Logan, it featured additional songs by Lerner and Andre Previn.

According to this article in the LA Times Diana has joined a bunch of Generals & entertainers on a U.S.O. type of tour for the troups in Iraq, Afghanistan, & other middle east countries. Good for her, it's great to see an 18 yr. old young lady like her get involved in something so worthy. You gotta sign up to access the full article though.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ck=1&cset=true

Touring for the Troups, Excellent
    7 Countries in 7 Days, Rolling
    Staying in Sadams' Palace Priceless

This is a great great thing for Diana to do.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060103/113631630000.html

American Idol' Star Entertains Troops
    Tuesday January 3 11:25 AM ET

How does an 18-year-old "American Idol" star stay fresh and pretty while traveling to seven countries in seven days to entertain the troops?

Diana DeGarmo says you sleep and eat on schedule and it helps to bring along your mom.

"Some people might call me a party pooper," she told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday on a military aircraft en route to Germany for the final stop of the tour. "But you just have to do it."

DeGarmo visited several U.S. bases in the Middle East and eastern Africa to host holiday shows with comedian Reggie McFadden and country singer Michael Peterson. They were traveling in a delegation led by the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Peter Pace.

The weeklong United Service Organizations tour started at an air base near Doha, Qatar, and included stops in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Djibouti and the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier somewhere in the central Arabian Gulf.

DeGarmo, last season's runner-up to Fantasia Barrino on the Fox "American Idol" reality show, said she had "learned that there's more to this war than sending troops overseas. They're missing so much and risking their lives."

The singer, who brought her manager and mother, Brenda DeGarmo, asked for several volunteers to come onstage for a dance contest in each performance and ended by singing "America the Beautiful."

She said one of the strangest moments on the trip was performing for dozens of shivering troops at Camp Victory in Baghdad, with helicopters flying overhead and people shouting. She also spent the night in one of Saddam Hussein's former palaces.

Round & round we go & we have finally landed. The rumors can be layed to rest. Some shouldn’t have been so quick to count Diana out.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/97195.html

Diana DeGarmo and Melba Moore to Head Cast of Brooklyn Tour
    By Andrew Gans
    06 Jan 2006
    Former “American Idol” contestant Diana DeGarmo and Tony Award winner Melba Moore will head the cast of the upcoming national tour of Brooklyn.
    Jeff Calhoun, who directed the Broadway production of the pop musical and who will also helm the tour, told Playbill.com that DeGarmo will play the title character and Moore will star as her nemesis, Paradice. Cleavant Derricks, who appeared in the New York company, will re-create his role as the Street Singer.
    Brooklyn will mark the first national tour for 18-year-old DeGarmo, who shot to fame during the 2004 season of “American Idol.” “Diana came in and auditioned for us, and she blew us away,” Calhoun said. “Brooklyn is an 18-year-old pop star, and that’s what [Diana] is. You’re not going to do better than that!
    “It’s very exciting,” Calhoun continued. “We have an ‘American Idol’ star and two Tony Award winners. And, Diana is a huge fan of Melba Moore. Melba was one of her idols.”
    Calhoun will also co-produce the tour with Producers Four and John McDaniel. The latter will serve as musical supervisor, as he did for the Broadway production.
    Calhoun previously said that the tour will launch at the Bushnell Center in Hartford, CT, in June. Additonal venues and dates will be announced shortly.
    The show itself will not be changed for the tour. "It doesn't have to be refined," Calhoun said, "because it's already 90 minutes without an intermission and I think very touring-friendly."
    Brooklyn, according to production notes, concerns a band of performers, who "tell a wondrous sidewalk fairy tale about a young girl searching for fame and the father she never knew. With just one clue to lead her, she lands in the city that bears her name, Brooklyn." Song titles include "Heart Behind These Hands," "Christmas Makes Me Cry," "Not a Sound," "Brooklyn Grew Up," "Creating Once Upon a Time," "Once Upon a Time," "Superlover," "Brooklyn in the Blood," "Magic Man," "Love Was a Song," "I Never Knew His Name," "The Truth," "Raven," "Sometimes," "Love Me Where I Live," "Love Fell Like Rain" and "Streetsinger."
    The Broadway production, which starred Eden Espinosa in the title role, played its final performance at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre June 26, 2005. Brooklyn, which features a book, music and lyrics by Mark Schoenfeld and Barri McPherson, began previews at the then-Plymouth Theatre Sept. 23, 2004, with an official opening Oct. 21. The musical played 28 previews and 283 regular performances.
    Melba Moore was last on Broadway in Les Misérables portraying the ill fated Fantine. A singer with a multi-octave range, Moore began her career as a back-up singer for the likes of Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick and Liza Minnelli. Her work in the original company of Hair led to her Tony winning role in Purlie, and since then Moore has performed in concert arenas throughout the world. Her R&B hits include “I Am His Lady,” “Falling” and “Read My Lips,” which was nominated for a Grammy Award. Moore was also recently seen in the Paramount film “The Fighting Temptations.”
    Cleavant Derricks won a Tony Award for his work as James Thunder Early in the original cast of Dreamgirls. He also received a Tony nomination for his performance in Bob Fosse’s Big Deal.

Nice to see she's doing so well. Thanks for the links, razorbacker.

I wouldn't mind seeing her on stage in a musical.

Before Diana hits the road with the Brooklyn crew, she has to make a stop on Broadway for a spell in Hairspray.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater...airspray_x.htm

DeGarmo to join Broadway 'Hairspray' cast
    NEW YORK (AP) — American Idol runner-up Diana DeGarmo is heading for Broadway. Following in the footsteps of Frenchie Davis, who appears in the rock musical Rent, DeGarmo will join the cast of Hairspray on Feb. 7.
    The 18-year-old DeGarmo, one of the FOX television series' most popular runners-up, will portray the heroine's best friend, Penny Pingleton, in the musical, which opened on Broadway in August 2002.
    DeGarmo, of Snellville, Ga., finished second behind Fantasia Barrino in the third season of the popular Fox American Idol reality show.
    Hairspray, based on the cult John Waters' film, concerns a chubby Baltimore teen who wants to appear on a TV dance show. The show now stars Shannon Durig as the eager young woman and John Pinette as her full-figured mother.

For anyone that may be interested in checking out Diana on Broadway.

Diana will play the role of Penny Pingleton. The musical runs from Feb. 7th-May 14th. Diana will NOT be performing on 2/14, 4/1, 5/12. Keep an eye on:
    Sunday: 1:30pm & 6:30pm
    Monday: No Show
    Tuesdays: 7pm
    Wednesdays: 2pm
    Thursdays: 7pm
    Fridays: 8pm
    Saturday: 2pm & 8pm

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/878565

Other ticket info:

Neil Simon Theatre
    250 West 52nd Street
    New York, NY 10019

Box Office Numbers:
    (212) 757-8646

Box Office Hours:
    Mon - Sat: 10:00am - 8:00pm
    Sunday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm

This is a rather long article about Diana learning the ropes & getting ready for her Broadway debut in Hairspray. Lot’s of photos of her rehearsing & in costume & inside scoop if you are so inclined. I don’t really keep up with Broadway stuff, but I would be surprised if anyone other than Ex-Idol would get this type of coverage. Tonight, 2/7, is her debut appearance. I hope she breaks a leg. Go Diana.

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=524804

+ Reply to Thread