+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

Diana's up coming album

Here's a good article on Diana. It mentions what songwriters she'll be working with. A few of them are top notch.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...-degarmo_x.htm

Color her excited: DeGarmo riding 'Idol' to stardom
    By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

If cheerfulness were an Olympic sport, the USA would have a guaranteed gold medalist in Diana DeGarmo.

Idol's perky silver medalist, Diana DeGarmo, is hard at work on her debut album.
    RCA

The 16-year-old singer from Snellville, Ga., seems just as preternaturally perky over the phone as she did on American Idol this year. "This is what I'm like," she chirps. "Take me or leave me. Hee-hee-hee."

Granted, DeGarmo's oversized voice and personality earned her only silver on Idol, won by Fantasia Barrino. But like last year's runner-up, Clay Aiken, DeGarmo, the TV talent search's youngest finalist, is being groomed for A-list stardom by Idol mastermind Simon Fuller and RCA, the label that inherits the show's bounty.

RCA Music Group chief Clive Davis personally chose Don't Cry Out Loud, the 1979 Melissa Manchester hit that became DeGarmo's signature song on Idol and, accordingly, is half of her double-A-side debut single, out today. The single leads off with Dreams, a similarly sentimental midtempo ballad penned by veteran hitmakers Desmond Child and Andreas Carlsson with Chris Braide, who wrote Aiken's songs Invisible and This Is the Night.

"Dreams is a really positive song, with great words," DeGarmo gushes. "It really fits me." The single's B-side, I Believe, co-written by former Idol finalist Tamyra Gray and also the lead track on Fantasia's single, released last week, could hardly be mistaken for a dirge either.

DeGarmo may seem a little young to tackle more complex emotional terrain. Manchester, who was in the studio to lend support when the younger singer recorded Don't Cry Out Loud, deemed the new version "really good" but noted that DeGarmo had "much less worldly experience than I had when I sang the song."

The teen doesn't view her tender age as a liability, though. "More than people would think, I've had a very fulfilled life. I can understand what songs are about, and find a way to put my own feeling into it, to make it convincing for me."

For her first CD, tentatively scheduled for October, DeGarmo and RCA exec Steve Ferrera are sifting through contributions from such veteran chart-toppers as David Foster and Linda Perry to find songs that also will prove persuasive to a mass audience. "From what I've heard, I'm very, very excited," DeGarmo says.

DeGarmo's no-holds-barred vocal style has garnered comparisons to Celine Dion and Christina Aguilera, whom she praises with predictable enthusiasm. "I love Celine. I idolize her to the 10th degree. And Christina has such an amazing voice." Surprisingly, though, the teenager also cites role models with relatively subtle, nuanced approaches, among them the late country legend Patsy Cline. "They all bring something different to the table, I think."

The prospect of becoming a superstar in her own right has been a little dizzying, DeGarmo admits. "They keep you crazy at all times. You never stop. But I'm having a wonderful time. My life has changed for the better, definitely."

There are minor inconveniences. "I can't go outside without makeup on anymore," says DeGarmo. "That's the one thing I miss, being able to, like, go to the grocery store without anyone knowing who I am. Now if I go out in, like, pajama pants and a sweatshirt, with my hair in a ponytail and just looking a complete mess, people are like, 'Can I take a picture with you?' And I'm like, 'Um, I don't really know if you want a picture with me right now. But sure, OK!' "

DeGarmo's mother, who now manages her, and her old buddies help keep her grounded. "They know when I come home, I'm just Diana, and they don't treat me any differently. They're not like, 'Diana, can I do this for you?' "

With her senior year of high school coming up, DeGarmo says, she will try to retain that sense of normalcy to an extent. "I'm going to try to stay in school as much as possible, but I'll definitely keep my career going. I want to keep that ball rolling, you know?"

Here's some information on Linda Perry and David Foster:

David has had 42 Grammy Nominations in his career and received just under 20 wins and he's worked with Celine, Barbra Streisand, Natalie Cole, Josh Groban, Whitney Houston, Michael Buble..etc.

Linda Perry was awarded a Grammy this year, for writing Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful." She also wrote material for Pink's second album including "Get this Party Started." She's worked with Gwen Steffani etc.

Yes, it looks like RCA is making an effort to get Diana good material.

Billboard estimated Diana's 1st week single sales to be 50,000.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c_lookahead_dc

I saw a new picture of her in a Teen People magazine(the one with Kirsten Dunst on the cover) and she's lost a lot of weight. I don't know why but I liked her better before. I'm going to buy her single next time I'm at Wal Mart since everyone says it's so good.

Diana debuted at number 14, while Fantasia slipped to number 6.

I went to the Atlanta Braves ballgame on Sunday July 4th and Diana sang "America the Beautiful" and the "Star Spangled Banner" before the game. She really did a great job on both, but America the Beautiful was absolutely great. The only problem of course was all the "echo" in the sound system.

The game started at 1:00 in the afternoon. It was at least 90 degrees! and she had on a white suit....long sleeved blazer and long pants! I know she was burning up. But one of my friends, who watched it on TV, said that she changed later and they interviewed her in the booth, and she had on one of the players jerseys they were giving away.

All in all, she did a fantastic job! Did anyone else see her?

Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna
    I went to the Atlanta Braves ballgame on Sunday July 4th and Diana sang "America the Beautiful" and the "Star Spangled Banner" before the game. She really did a great job on both, but America the Beautiful was absolutely great. The only problem of course was all the "echo" in the sound system.

The game started at 1:00 in the afternoon. It was at least 90 degrees! and she had on a white suit....long sleeved blazer and long pants! I know she was burning up. But one of my friends, who watched it on TV, said that she changed later and they interviewed her in the booth, and she had on one of the players jerseys they were giving away.

I know that just as often as not the Star Spangled Banner & America the Beautiful when performed before a game can be brutal. Davy Jones of the Monkees did it one night in Orlando & he almost got killed he was so bad. But, having said that, I tuned into the game just to hear Diana sing & I was very disappointed that TBS decided not to show it. I understand the reasoning for this on most days but it was our contries birthday & they still chose not to show The National Anthem. Most disturbing!!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna
    Kinda.

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    "Dreams" - Frankly, I didn't like the song on either Fantasia or Diana, but she does a wonderful job with it on the single. I really enjoyed it. I hope it gets some radio time, because I do think it could do well, despite the fact it's a somewhat diabetic-unfriendly.
    This is the reason why the song didn't sell well, IMO - because the song sucks! It's a huge, inflated Cheeto! I think that if Diana was given better material to sing, it would have sold better.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

I still say Dreams fits Diana's age better. I don't like the song, but it fits her better.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Frankly, I don't really care about this whole single business. I never bought one before this, and I don't plan to buy any more in the future. It seems to have morphed into a new point of competition between the winners of the different years rather than something people really want, in which case the crazies will always win (and I don't mean Tasia fans which I count myself among too.) I'm more interested in what her full album is like and how it does.

+ Reply to Thread