+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

Just took a listen and it was very good.

Thanks for the link, Bobdo.

Diana does sound better on the clip than when she was on the show. Tho, I think the reason she is kinda hard to hear on parts of the clip is she is still having difficulty singing lower notes. I expect that will improve with help.

I also suspect that the AOL guy interrupts the song ("AOL First Listen") cuz they want to make it hard to copy the clip for sale.

Don't know if this is old news, but on On Air with Ryan Seacrest today, she said her mom was her manager

Hey all. Was at my local Walmart today and they had Diana's single out for sale! I guess store mgmt got the release date wrong, but it felt like such a score. Anyway, my quick thoughts:
    - Diana sounds amazing in a recording studio. Her vocals on DCOL are so crisp and clean that you could wash your windows with the vocal track. If her handlers get her some good material for an album, she will be around for a long time. Randy was right for championing her through all of Simon's criticism, he is good at envisioning who will sound good on a record (versus just 'perform' well live)
    - Dreams is a collossally dumb song. It's like someone wrote out a rough idea for a song on a napkin and said, lets use it for an AI song since the expectations are so low!
    - I am sure Fantasia fans will disagree, but Diana's voice sounds much better on I Believe than Tasia's. I big part of that is that the song 'fits' Diana's voice better (maybe the rumors are true that it was written with Diana in mind?). Also, Diana's version wisely edited out the 'love keeps lifting me higher' scream-fest at the end, whereas Fantasia is sentenced to screaming her lungs out at the end of her version.

FORT Fanatic
    I think Diana sounds very good on her single. I oddly ran into the America's Most Talented Kid finale on an old VHS tape I was watching, and by coincedence there was Diana singing "I Will Always Love You" at 15. Comparing her there to now, she's really grown and come a long way. Hope her album is awesome!

Diana DeGarmo was on America's Most Talented Kid and she was crowned Miss Georgia.
    Here are some pictures of her performing "Music in Me":

You can always count on me to give you high-quality American Idol photos!
    Any questions?

Here she is as Miss Georgia:

Any questions?

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI Critic
    I think Diana sounds very good on her single. I oddly ran into the America's Most Talented Kid finale on an old VHS tape I was watching, and by coincedence there was Diana singing "I Will Always Love You" at 15. Comparing her there to now, she's really grown and come a long way. Hope her album is awesome!
    I recently got a copy of AMTK as well. She kicked everybody's butt during her initial week. Everyone gave her 9.9 and 10's. She lost in the final, but it was really weird, because the winner was a young asian girl who was a piano virtuoso, or something. It was just strange seeing them try to compare that to Diana's singing, to some breakdancing kid, etc. What I thought was funny was that one of the other girls came out and sang "Don't Cry Out Loud", and, with all due respect to her, it was horrible compared to Diana version two years later.

And here are just random pictures:

Any questions?

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Well, Amazon finally got me Di's single, and I'm surprisingly impressed with how great she sounds in the studio, which says a lot considering how much I, as I'm sure you guys know, loved her during the competition. I think all three songs are equally impressive. I'm really having a hard time figuring out which one I like best. Well, here's my take on them.

"Dreams" - Frankly, I didn't like the song on either Fantasia or Diana, but she does a wonderful job with it on the single. I really enjoyed it. I hope it gets some radio time, because I do think it could do well, despite the fact it's a somewhat diabetic-unfriendly.

"Don't Cry Out Load" - It's as impressive as you'd expect, though I have to admit that it doesn't shine as brightly as it did when Di first sang it. I think this is mostly because it's no longer has the context of the surprising and inspirational butt-kicking that she pulled off when she first did it. It also ends with 10 seconds of the background track rather than that great glory note she held in the AI version.

"I Believe" - I haven't heard Tasia's studio version yet, so I can't compare, but right now, this is my favorite rendition of the song. Actually, I had an interesting moment when I first listened to it because I happened to be reading the following:

About 25 minutes later, Cassini turned to fire one of its twin main engines for a 96-minute burn. The craft would have flown past Saturn and been lost in the outer solar system if this had failed.

After the burn, the probe tilted towards Earth to confirm insertion. The signal took 84 minutes to reach Earth, where it was picked up by Nasa's Deep Space Network. The mission team at Nasa in Pasadena, California, celebrated with cheers, tears and high-fives.
    It was actually kinda cool. Perfect background music for an amazing little feat we humans recently pulled off.

+ Reply to Thread