+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Diana Degarmo - FINALIST

She was an opening act to LeeAnn Rymes somewhere.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    She was an opening act to LeeAnn Rymes somewhere.
    AIWANNABE, is this what you're referring to?

DIANA JOINS LEEANN RIMES: Oxygen, the cable TV network, is pleased to announce the LeAnn Rimes Custom Concert with special guest Diana DeGarmo! The concert will air exclusively on Oxygen on Sunday, June 27 at 10pm/9C.

FREE TICKETS
    Oxygen is giving away a limited supply of free tickets. If you live in the New York City area and want to receive a FREE PAIR OF TICKETS to the concert, e-mail your full name, your guest's full name, your ages and your day & evening telephone numbers to concerttickets@oxygen.com with "Diana Tickets" in the subject line. If you qualify to receive free tickets, you will get a confirmation e-mail containing the location and other necessary information about the concert. The concert will be filmed in New York City on Tuesday, June 22 and will air exclusively on Oxygen on Sunday, June 27 at 10pm/9C.
    As for the Dreams song, it hasn't really done it for me yet. I heard it on one of the talk shows a few backs. Maybe they'll mix things up a little bit for the release. I would much rather they put DCO as her first release. Everybody who I've played it for thought it was showstopper.

Thanks for the Billboard article:

Here's an interesting excerpt: "DeGarmo recorded a first take of 'Don't Cry Out Loud' over the weekend, and then was joined in the studio by Manchester. 'We talked about the song and what it meant to each of us and how we interpreted it,' DeGarmo tells Billboard.com. 'On my lyric sheet she drew a square and said, 'Write the first initial of the person you're going to sing the song to. Now you see that person's eyes? Sing it to that person ... like you're having a conversation about how hard a struggle it has been.' "

Well, those of us who said Diana had troubles with song interpretation during the AI show were right. Melissa Manchester having to tell Diana to "draw a square" and "to think of singing to an individual" is extemely basic instruction on how to sing a song with emotional nuance. I hope Melissa was able to help. By the way, Leeann Rimes was great at interpretation as a very young girl. Maybe she can help Diana too.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 06-18-2004 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam

Here's an interesting excerpt: "DeGarmo recorded a first take of 'Don't Cry Out Loud' over the weekend, and then was joined in the studio by Manchester. 'We talked about the song and what it meant to each of us and how we interpreted it,' DeGarmo tells Billboard.com. 'On my lyric sheet she drew a square and said, 'Write the first initial of the person you're going to sing the song to. Now you see that person's eyes? Sing it to that person ... like you're having a conversation about how hard a struggle it has been.' "

Well, those of us who said Diana had troubles with song interpretation during the AI show were right. Melissa Manchester having to tell Diana to "draw a square" and "to think of singing to an individual" is extemely basic instruction on how to sing a song with emotional nuance. I hope Melissa was able to help. By the way, Leeann Rimes was great at interpretation as a very young girl. Maybe she can help Diana too.
    I don't get it. I understand the visualizing like your singing to someone thing, but what's the point of writing a single inital inside a box? It almost sounds like she drawing eyes in the box too, like some sort of letter character from Sesame Street.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    I don't get it. I understand the visualizing like your singing to someone thing, but what's the point of writing a single inital inside a box? It almost sounds like she drawing eyes in the box too, like some sort of letter character from Sesame Street.
    Visualizing that you're singing to a person helps bring out the emotion in your voice, as you can remember previous experiences and bring them out in the inflection of your voice. If you're singing a sad song to your dead dog, you usually wouldn't sing the same way you'd sing a love song to your significant other, and making that real life connection helps bring out the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Boredom
    Visualizing that you're singing to a person helps bring out the emotion in your voice, as you can remember previous experiences and bring them out in the inflection of your voice. If you're singing a sad song to your dead dog, you usually wouldn't sing the same way you'd sing a love song to your significant other, and making that real life connection helps bring out the differences.
    Like I said, I understand the visualizing part. It's the letter in the box thing that I was asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    Like I said, I understand the visualizing part. It's the letter in the box thing that I was asking about.
    I think the letter in the box is a short-hand technique to getting to the visual image. When you are singing, it can be really difficult to focus on anything except your vocal chords and the lyrics. So the letter in the box directs your mind immediately to the visual--a kind of fast-track entry into the imagination. Folks who are experienced at visualization while singing probably can bypass the box.

And singers who have a natural talent for emotional nuance probably don't need to visualize at all--they can coordinate the breathing, volume, rhythm, tone etc. to interpret the song. Song interpretation is very difficult cuz you basically have to act the meaning of the song while doing the complex business of singing. Actors have it easy compared to ballad singers, in my opinon.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 06-18-2004 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam

I get kind of lost on this type of thinking. Help me out here. It seems to me that you want us to believe that in your profession you have never had anyone older & more experienced that could help you out. Because you basically knew it all by the time you were 16? For crying out loud!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    I get kind of lost on this type of thinking. Help me out here. It seems to me that you want us to believe that in your profession you have never had anyone older & more experienced that could help you out. Because you basically knew it all by the time you were 16? For crying out loud!
    Alot of singers can emote from very little children. For instance as slutty as Diirrrrrr-Tina is, she's always been able to get the emotions out, even when she was younger.

I think that Melissa helped a considerable amount - AOL just put out the 'First Listen' of DCOL, and it sounds wonderful. She finally got the 'emotion' part that I never really felt during the show.

Thanks for the explanation, Pill. That does make sense.

I heard the AOL "FirstListen" as well. It's really good, and she sounds markedly more depressed in certain parts, which, as I'm being made to understand, is progress. Check out the link, if you're interested in hearing it. The quality is poor and some AOL guy comes in every minute of so and creepily whispers "AOL First Listen" every now and then, but what can you do?

+ Reply to Thread