+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fantasia Barrino - FINALIST

FORT Fogey
    oh no doubt, fantasia is really admired by the music industry.

I just don't get it. I find the sound she produces to be highly irritating. I know others disagree with me, however. But I do assume that she got her latest gig because AI bought it for her, not because of her voice. I hadn't yet seen AI during Fantasia's season, so the first time I saw her was when she guest-appeared during AI4. It sound horrible, horrible. I couldn't understand her appeal, but figured she must be good & just had a bad night. Then I watched her again this year. Uggh, bad sound. I am resigned to not understanding her appeal, and will just turn the channel the next time she comes on so I don't have to hear that poor excuse for singing.

And yes, I'm aware she has a lot of fans. I'm just not sure why her voice draws people. To each his own. I need a singer's voice to be soothing and pleasant.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I have always been a big Fantasia fan and I have to say, for me, alot of her charm and appeal was more the fact that she entertained me rather than having a superior voice. I want to be entertained and as long as I'm being entertained I can forgive certain inconsistencies. I liked her personality, she brought emotion to her performances, she brought emotions out of me when she performed. I was on my feet clapping like I was at a church revival when she was singing "I Believe" both the finale night and result night! LaToya may have had a better voice but I never felt it when she sang.

I still love Fantasia....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fan
    FANTASIA + ‘PURPLE’ = MORE GREEN: Ticket sales of Broadway musical skyrocket after Feb. 22 announcement on ‘Oprah.’
    (March 12, 2007)
    *After a down right sluggish winter, advance tickets for “The Color Purple” on Broadway received a dramatic jolt immediately following the announcement of Fantasia Barrino in the role of main character Celie.

The “American Idol” champ appeared on a Feb. 22 episode of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” to promote her spring run, which begins on April 10th. Shortly after her visit to Harpo Studios, ticket sales for the musical increased by $2 million, according to producer Scott Sanders.

During the “Oprah” appearance, Barrino gave folks a taste of what’s to come during a tear-filled performance of the song “I’m Still Here,” which is belted by her character during a pivotal moment in the production.

Not to be outdone, ticket sales of “The Color Purple’s” national tour launch in Chicago tripled after the announcement of former Destiny’s Child singer Michelle Williams in the role of Shug Avery.

EURweb.com - FANTASIA + ‘PURPLE’ = MORE GREEN: Ticket sales of Broadway musical skyrocket after Feb. 22 announcement on ‘Oprah.’

Wow, that surely surprises me. Good for the show!

I don't know much about Broadway, but it seems AI has provided lots of actors for the plays...

Was shopping in Vons Supermarket yesterday and Fantasia was playing. Sorry but her voice, I just do not like it at all.

Re: Fantasia Barrino - FINALIST

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2267582;
    Patti LaBelle was on the radio this morning, and she referred to Fantasia as "Baby Patti". If Ms. LaBelle, herself, thinks that, who am I to argue? Quite an honor!
    Aretha (Queen of Soul) calls Fantasia "my child." Most of the BIG time singers love Fantasia. Oh, btw I'm pretty new on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2258937;
    let's not forget that this IS a tv show, and it's all about ratings ... so who can say the 'votes' they say they got are even accurate? i don't believe for a moment that the producers will not manipulate the numbers in order to keep certain people in the competition longer, just for the sake of drama and keeping people watching (or getting mad, which makes them talk about the show even more).

and i agree with you muduh when you said "If they are good enough they will do well after AI no matter what order they finish." jennifer hudson is a perfect example of this. and i didn't even care for her much on the show!
    IMO, Jennifer didn't win because people didn't vote for her. I know a lot of people who watch AI and swore that Jennifer was the one, but when I ask if they vote, all of they said no....they don't go that far with it.
    Last edited by 2observe; 04-29-2007 at 04:11 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by 2observe;2357277;
    IMO, Jennifer didn't win because people didn't vote for her. I know a lot of people who watch AI and swore that Jennifer was the one, but when I ask if they vote, all of they said no....they don't go that far with it.
    IMO, Jennifer didn't win because Fantasia and Diana were better - Diana a better singer and Fantasia a better performer. And I don't doubt for a minute that the producers don't manipulate votes to keep people longer. I'm a pretty cynical person, but I gotta believe that if they did anything manipulative with the votes, the show would go down in flames and they'd lose all their proceeds to lawsuits galore a long the way.

I believe what Simon said. With minor exceptions here and there, the public gets it right. While I might not agree with places 3 through 5 or so, the right two people have gotten to places 1 and 2 and the right one has won each and every season.

Go Fantasa!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Fantasia will be on Live with Regis and Kelly on Friday, June 1st.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread