+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107147 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2794606;
    That's why they hate him and bash him every chance they get.
    Thanks! That explanation actually makes sense.

I never understand why anyone has to be "the most successful" anyways. Or why people cant just support the one they like best, and not put dow the ohers.Clay is doing fine, he is working on a new cd, he is very successful on broadway right now, he just got off a successful christmas tour, and a successful summer tour..he is doing great, he is touring, he is recording..he is working..and he is a name people remember. yes, he has people that passionately hate him...just like everyone..but he also has plenty people that think he is awesome, and like to hear him sing...thats what he chooses to focus on, and its what I choose to focus on too.

He's doing great.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fan

PEOPLE EXCLUSIVE
    Clay Aiken Album to Be Released in May
    By David Caplan
    Originally posted Wednesday February 20, 2008 07:00 PM EST

Get ready Claymates, a new Clay Aiken album is just around the corner. The former American Idol contestant is in New York City currently recording his fourth album, which he expects to be released in early May, he tells PEOPLE exclusively.

"We're hoping the next album will be out about May 6," Aiken, who is currently starring in the Broadway run of Monty Python's Spamalot as Sir Robin, tells PEOPLE.

Aiken's keeping a hectic schedule, recording tracks for the RCA Records album when he's not on stage. "We've picked most of the songs," Aiken, 29, says. "Sonically, I don't know that we're going down any path that's crazy. I'm not trying to be cool, I'm not trying to be hip. I'm not trying to do anything other than sing stuff that I'm good at."

So what's the inspiration behind Aiken's upcoming album? "In the past five years there's a lot I've learned about life, and I think people learn a lot in the twenties," says the singer. "So we found a lot of songs that speak to that. I would like to wrap a lot of the music around that theme. It's early to promise that, but it's a goal."

Aiken adds he has no plans to perform a duet with another singer, but he knows at least one star he'd love to sing with. "I've always wanted to do a duet with Martina McBride. I think she has one of the best voices," he says.

And is Aiken planning an image overhaul, tied to the album? He says, "Last time I came out with dark crazy hair. We did that intentionally. But I'm just going to do what I do this time. We don't have any plans this time. But I've got the red wig [from Spamalot] maybe I'll do that!"
    Clay Aiken Album to Be Released in May - Clay Aiken : People.com

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2791047;
    Clay Aiken
    by Kathy Henderson
    Broadway.com. . .
    Clay Aiken, Q&A Interview: Broadway.com Buzz
    Thanks for posting this! Since I just saw Spamalot in NE Florida last night, I can picture C.A. in the role of Sir Robin - I think it might be fun to watch!
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2803962;
    yaaaay may 6th sounds genius! right off of the spamalot buzz, right into album promo
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I like to think of his stint as US ambassador for UNICEF after the tsunami and the Buble/Aiken foundation for kids with autism. He has rolled with every punch aimed at him and proved himself to be of sound character with an incredible sense of humor. Probably why Simon hates him. Simon's all about Disney Princesses.
    Count your blessings!

finally! the first critical review for Clay in spamalot, love it! it was an AP article, so it will get sent and picked up everywhere. They were giving Clay a couple weeks to live with the roll before they invited the critics. This one is by MICHAEL KUCHWARA

Clay Aiken deftly handles supremely silly in 'Monty Python's Spamalot' - International Herald Tribune
    NEW YORK: Let's clear things up right away: Clay Aiken can handle supremely silly.

That is not an inconsiderable talent when you are appearing in something as daffy as "Monty Python's Spamalot," the madcap medieval musical that has just added the "American Idol" alum to its cast.

We knew Aikencould sing. "Idol," television's favorite trial-by-fire, proved that. So it was only natural that Broadway, eager for new faces that might sell tickets, would call — just as it did for Fantasia, Frenchie Davis, Constantine Maroulis and others from "Idol."

But don't go expecting a star turn. Aiken is a team player — and that's meant as a compliment. The ingratiating performer fits seamlessly into the extended high jinks of "Spamalot," which has been running at the Shubert Theatre since March 2005.

The guy gets the goofy humor that is the Python trademark and goes with the flow, most prominently when he is portraying the perpetually petrified Sir Robin. It's one of three roles he plays in the musical.

What's more, for someone born and raised in North Carolina, Aiken does a credible British accent.

And the rest of the production, directed by Mike Nichols, holds up quite nicely, too. The tale, concocted by "Python" legend Eric Idle, is loosely based on the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," and film buffs will recognize some of their favorite bits from the film. Idle also wrote the lyrics and shares credit with John Du Prez for the music.

If there is anything approaching show-stopper status in this "Spamalot," it's the performance by Hannah Waddingham as the Lady of the Lake. The statuesque Waddingham, who originated the role in the London production, is sensational. She's funny, sexy and blessed with one of those powerhouse voices that really shakes up the score.

But then Nichols and choreographer Casey Nicholaw have kept the musical in tiptop shape. From Jonathan Hadary's robust King Arthur to the preening Galahad of Christopher Sieber (an original New York cast member who recently returned to the show) to Rick Holmes' sexually fluid Lancelot, the cast gets a high amount of laughs from low comedy.

And then there's Tom Deckman as the hilariously fey Prince Herbert and David Hibbard as the aptly named Patsy, singing and tapping his way through the show's best known moment of musical cheer, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." This is ensemble comic lunacy at its most inspired.

But attention Aiken fans. He appears in "Monty Python's Spamalot" only through May 4.
    heres a bio on Michael
    American Theatre Wing - Biography - Michael Kuchwara

MICHAEL KUCHWARA has been the drama critic and drama writer for the Associated Press since 1984. Before being named to that position, he worked for the AP in Chicago as a general assignment editor and reporter and in New York on its General (now the National) Desk, the main editing desk for national news. Born in Scranton, Pa., he is a graduate of Syracuse University. Kuchwara also has a master's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri. Kuchwara is a past president of the New York Drama Critics' Circle.
    Last edited by srs_in_Oregon; 02-22-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Clay seems to be proving himself to be a multi-facited performer. Much deeper than many thought at first. Who would have thought he could be so at home in Spamalot. Certainly not the image that so many retain from AI.

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azalea;2808071;
    Certainly not the image that so many retain from AI.
    Actually, I think Simon suggested Broadway was where Clay would fit in best.

I dont think simon had spamalot in mind.

+ Reply to Thread