+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 180 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103143 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

To the Point

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by sushifan;2763443;
    I saw a Newsweek interview re: Spamalot similar to what buglover described. Clay was actually rather obnoxious, I thought -- yes, some of the questions were annoying, but it's your job as a star to be gracious and not act like a prima donna when you get a question you don't like. The media have their job and you have yours.

I see your point, however, the media also needs to learn that just because they ask, and ask, and ask doesn't mean that the person being asked is in anyway obligated to answer. I think it is a good thing when those in the public eye are just 'to the point'. I didn't read anything into his answers other than that he wasn't going to address those questions. They've been asked over and over again. In the beginning of these issues being address, while he may not have been direct, he did give an answer of sorts. He told them (Newsweek) he wasn't going to address these things and he didn't. We weren't really there, we aren't privy to the tone (words on a page can't convey the manner in which they were delivered only allows us to use our imagination) so I just assume that he was direct and fed up.

FORT Fan

There's something creepy about someone demanding that Barry Manilow or anyone else they think might be gay should ADMIT it. As if it were some crime that needs confessing. How about its not your business unless he asks you out on a date?

Being repeatedly asked a question you've already answered numerous times, and the answer is just a mouse click away, is just plain rude. I think all celebrities should draw a line and stick to it like Clay does.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2766201;
    There's something creepy about someone demanding that Barry Manilow or anyone else they think might be gay should ADMIT it. As if it were some crime that needs confessing. How about its not your business unless he asks you out on a date?
    I guess I missed that post/interview. I haven't seen anyone demand that Barry or Clay come out of the closet.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;2764997;
    I didn't read anything into his answers other than that he wasn't going to address those questions. They've been asked over and over again. In the beginning of these issues being address, while he may not have been direct, he did give an answer of sorts. He told them (Newsweek) he wasn't going to address these things and he didn't. We weren't really there, we aren't privy to the tone (words on a page can't convey the manner in which they were delivered only allows us to use our imagination) so I just assume that he was direct and fed up.
    Clay's already addressed the gay question a few times in 2003. He is fed up, who can blame him. "Newsweek" is supposed to be a very good, newsworthy magazine but the interviewer didn't reflect this, it makes the magazine sound like a gossip mazazine. Questions should be about his career not his personal life. The interviewer obviously has not been doing his homework or maybe he's a rookie news reporter.

Perhaps someone can hellp me here. I've read the interview on the Newsweek web site and I can't find any question about whether or not Clay is gay. Is this an edited version of the interview? If so, could someone point me to the transcript showing the question about Clay being gay?

To me, the interviewer was out of line with the questions he asked of Clay in the second half of the interview. And when you read Clay's responses they seem reasonable. However, I think I remember seeing this interview. If it's the interview I'm thinking of Clay was a bit pissy in the way he delivered his responses to the questions. The words he chose were appropriate, but I thought he should have been a bit more controlled in his delivery.

IMO you can't accept the perks of super-stardom without accepting the crap that accompanies it.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

We don't know the tone is which Clay was speaking but on paper, sometimes things don't come accross that well.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2766378;
    IMO you can't accept the perks of super-stardom without accepting the crap that accompanies it.

Totally agree that there is crap that goes with the perks. Let's be realistic though, our society has become one in which it is "good entertainment" for those in entertainment to be harrassed by the media. That's just all kinds of sad and wrong. There are those celebs that live their lives in such a manner as to invite that kind of media attention, however, I don't really feel that Clay has done so. He is just one example of celebs that get the 'short end' way too often. There are plenty of others who really do try to live their private lives as just that. I think this part of celebrity must really suck. It's bound to tip the scales at times.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2766308;
    I guess I missed that post/interview. I haven't seen anyone demand that Barry or Clay come out of the closet.
    It was you that said:

Barry Manilow never admitted to being gay either.
    To which I replied:

There's something creepy about someone demanding that Barry Manilow or anyone else they think might be gay should ADMIT it. As if it were some crime that needs confessing.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _______________________

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2766378;
    To me, the interviewer was out of line with the questions he asked of Clay in the second half of the interview. And when you read Clay's responses they seem reasonable. However, I think I remember seeing this interview. If it's the interview I'm thinking of Clay was a bit pissy in the way he delivered his responses to the questions. The words he chose were appropriate, but I thought he should have been a bit more controlled in his delivery.
    The interview for Newsweek was print only, so you couldn't have "seen" it or determined the tone. The interviewer could have been a total jackass and Clay could have responded in a controlled and polite manner. Some media reported that he stormed out, but the interview in Newsweek continued and the reporter never indicated that it ended abruptly. This sort of embellishment for dramatic effect in the retelling happens all the time. It used to be neighbors gossiping over the back fence and making the story juicier and juicier with each telling. These days its Newsweek doing the deed. What a sad commentary on pop culture and the decline of journalism.
    Last edited by AllDone; 01-24-2008 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2766201;
    There's something creepy about someone demanding that Barry Manilow or anyone else they think might be gay should ADMIT it.
    I've reread my post and the Newsweek article and I still don't find anyone demanding either Barry or Clay admit they are gay.

As to the Newsweek article and my statements, I can only repeat what I posted...

Clay did an ABC radio interview this morning (as well as a NY news interview and Mike and Juliette) in the ABC radio interview he said they were going to try to have the album out the day or so after spamalot (which ends May 4) that they were going to try to make a body of work, not just an album, kind of a themed album based on his time from 2003-2008. This one is going to be ALL ORIGINALS and NEW SONGS. He said the record label has been extremely supportive, he has a grammy winning eclectic producer..the first time that he is using one producer for a whole album..sounds great!! Clay has been getting a lot of great press for spamalot, and this isnt the first time that May has been said, this is the first time weve actually HEARD clay say it. In another article he said the last album was one desired by others..and this one has music on it that is DEFINITELY desired by him. They are trying to make an album that will make everyone happy...He said that he is going to record duing the day, and do spamalot at night..busy busy boy HA!

I think capatalizing on the spamalot buzz is SO SMART!
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread