+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 179 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126176 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2468713;
    With all due respect for Clay, his name is not nearly the household word that Timberlake's is. I think a story without the AI reference would leave a lot of people confused or without interest in the story.
    Nobody said Clay was as famous as Justin. (However, Justin was with 'NSync a lot longer than Clay was on AI.) And nobody has suggested that AI should not be mentioned at all in a story like this. I just said it shows bias when a "news story" like this contains redundant mentions of AI and Clay's runner-up status 4 years ago yet neglects to mention that he was on the flight to Tulsa as part of a current concert tour (that night, in fact).

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2468713;
    I don't think it's an example of irresponsible journalism (though the story in general has probably been badly sensationalized, as these things tend to be.)
    Sorry, but when the headline misleads so as to suggest that Clay either picked a fight with someone, was raging out of control ("air rage"), or in some way physically ("fist fight") assaulted a fellow passenger, I say it's irreponsible. And most of the more reputable journalistic sources have used more cautious descriptions. But even the word "altercation," according to merriam-websteronline.com, means:

"a noisy heated angry dispute; also : noisy controversy"

From reports I've read that stated the known specifics (that it started with Clay's foot at least touching a woman passenger's arm rest, that she "may have" given him a "minor shove," that no one was hurt or arrested), I'm not even sure the dispute/argument between the two was necessarily "loud" or even very "angry" -- at least not on Clay's part. Maybe "loud, angry dispute" is accurate, but I can't conclude that from what details seem to be known.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Re: Clay Aiken Part XIV

AllDone, thanks for the Justin Timberlake article clips and pics.
    http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ml#post2469149
    You're helping make one of my main points.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2469149;
    Clay is suffering through the media bashing that Justin did and he will continue to be bashed until the media gets the memo to stop because all of a sudden he'll have the publicity machinery and the label behind him. Right now he has a publicist from hell and his label is not supporting him. Kelly Clarkson has the same lousy publicist and now that Clive has pulled his support, she is looking at a dim next few years.

His fans have seen it all and they're not going anywhere.
    I see the excessive American Idol references as reflecting either:
    a) a desire to pimp the Fox Network and its franchises (e.g., when Fox News refers over and over to Clay's stint on AI 4 years ago) and when AI is referred to as, e.g., "the highly popular TV talent show."
    and/or
    b) contempt for either Clay or AI or both. Some in the entertainment media still turn their noses up at anyone that comes from AI (or any other "reality TV show"). Hence, "American Idol singer" is meant as dismissive.
    But even Fox and the AI people may choose to mimimize Clay (who does not have a good relationship with them) by writing about him as though he has had absolutely no accomplishments of note since AI2 ended.

Clay has not always been treated as the 'red-headed stepchild' by the media. At least not as much as right now. But, yes, if his next album is excellent, with new material, and well-received the media could turn around as quickly as they often do for other artists.

Today's mainstream mass media are nothing, if not ovine.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-11-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2469319;
    Clay should be grateful for this incident, at least he got his name back in the news.
    I'm not so sure about that.
    He was already getting some current press about his 2007 summer concert tour, and in a way, this media feeding frenzy may have upstaged that and even hurt his concert attendance.
    The majority of the reports -- even though they are pretty much all based on the original TulsaWorld.com article and the AP story that used that info, in which Clay's Tulsa concert was mentioned -- have referred to him only as someone who was a contestant (or runner-up) on AI in 2003. No publicity for the tour. His status as a multi-platinum recording and successful concert artist being written off by omission, with the insinuation being given that he not only hasn't achieved anything in 4 years but also behaves boorishly and aggressively towards other passengers on planes.

I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been better off without that kind of "publicity."

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2469841;
    The majority of the reports -- even though they are pretty much all based on the original TulsaWorld.com article and the AP story that used that info, in which Clay's Tulsa concert was mentioned -- have referred to him only as someone who was a contestant (or runner-up) on AI in 2003. No publicity for the tour. His status as a multi-platinum recording and successful concert artist being written off by omission,
    I'm not sure why publicity for his tour or his record selling status is warranted in a news report such as this? He is identified by the vast majority in America by his gig on American idol.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2469504;
    ... Please understand that while I and others ... interpret the movement of putting a foot up onto an armrest to be something that could not happen while asleep.
    I really don't see how anyone could think this could not happen while asleep.
    Clay does routinely sit with one leg crossed over the other, with one ankle resting on the other knee, so that his lower leg is parallel to the floor. If you've seen him much on TV (AI2 or afterwards) or in concert, you've seen him sit like that many times. If his foot was clear of the seats and armrests in front of him when he fell asleep, all it would take for his foot to end up touching or resting on the armrest in front of him would be a fairly minor shift in position during his sleep, such as slumping down in his seat.

I've been on planes with plenty of tall guys, and it's often very hard for them to change positions without inadvertently bumping the seat in front of them. (I feel sorry for anyone over about 5'10" or over 200 lb. on airlines. The seats don't give them much room to move around.) It would be very easy for Clay's foot to have ended up against the back of that armrest, or even partly "on" it, while he was asleep.

This is not really a matter of opinion. I don't know that this is what did happen, but I know it could happen. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2469579;
    Okay, how did this become a story about the woman smacking Clay Aiken? In none of the reports does it say that she smacked him. How did a minor shove get switched to a "smack"?

Witnesses said that his foot was just touching her armrest? Were these the same witnesses that also said that he had done this to a woman that was sitting in the same row that he was?
    I've read a few statements from people who were on the plane, plus a lot more second-, third-, fourth-hand, etc., retellings of the story. Some eyewitnesses say the woman began hitting Clay when he didn't wake up quickly enough. His own words (the real truth? his trying to miminize the incident?) were that he woke when she shoved him in the chest. From what I read, it was the FBI agent whose report stated that "there was an allegation that the woman passenger had given the male passenger a minor shove" and that that was the extent of it (the physical contact); the agent was not a witness.

The inaccuracies I've seen or heard (e.g., Tulsa being in Arizona, the flight having originated in LA) and things like it being a commuter plane with no first class have been in reports from people who were not passengers on the plane. Same goes for most of the OTT descriptive labels.

Speedbump, the original news story did mention Clay's tour, because he was flying from one concert tour venue to another. It's pretty standard practice, to give details relevant to the current story rather than referring 2 or 3 times in the same 150-word article to something irrelevant that happened 4 years earlier.

As for whether "the vast majority of people" know Clay mainly becaues of his (2003) gig on AI, I'm not so sure. Some know him for his UNICEF work; some for the Bubel-Aiken Foundation and his work there; some from his Christmas and other concerts; some from the sleazy tabloid stories; some from his many TV appearances since AI2 ended; some from his CDs (and how well they've done on the charts).
    To the extent that most people connect his name to AI, if they still do, it's probably largely because AI gets mentioned in the vast majority of articles about him, even when it's not relevant.
    And I'll bet the vast majority of people who know Clay mainly as having been an AI contestant do not need to be reminded so often that he once was.

As for referring to him as "multi-platinum recording artist," that's just how I've seen Clay (and other multi-platinum recording artists) referred to in quite a few articles. But why not simply refer to him as "recording artist Clay Aiken" or just "singer Clay Aiken?" At least some of the time.
    (Lei, if people don't know or remember who Clay is, calling him a "singer" or "recording artist" is enough. When I read a story about an "actor" or "writer" or "singer" and no other details are given about their claim to fame, I don't feel any great need to find out how they first came into the public eye.)

(Actually, AllDone and I have already answered that question, above.)

---
    Speedbump, I wasn't aware that Clay was "downright creepy" at any AI finale. He got raves for his performances on the AI2 finale, did a great job of emceeing Fantasia' hometown party during the AI3 finale, and made jaws drop -- mostly very postively -- with his new look on the AI5 finale. kiss

Oh, and Broadway, that socks-off/smelly feet article is funny and does sound like it might actually be true, but I tend to take anything that's printed in The Star with a massive grain of salt. :eyesroll
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-11-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2469899;
    Some know him for his UNICEF work;

Sorry, but to me, this is AI's Unicef work. Has he done something independent of 'Idol Gives Back' - totally arranged by Fox, Simon Fuller and 19, Freemantle North America's co-ordinated efforts?

To the extent that most people connect his name to AI, if they still do, it's probably largely because AI gets mentioned in the vast majority of articles about him, even when it's not relevant.
    But, it's entirely relevant. To me, if he'd never been on AI, he'd never be doing this, or any other, tour that required more than a cab-ride.

I'd love to know how many Clay fans would know him, or know of him, if it weren't for AI. My bet is that the number is quite low - certainly nothing that supports him being on tour.

He should get down on his knees every day and thank AI. A multi-platinum recording artist, without the help of AI? Maybe so, but it's a stretch. In fact, it's so much of a stretch, I can't make it.

My own cyncical view is that his publicity agent is responsible for making it into the story it is now. His name is back in the public, however briefly.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2469940;
    Sorry, but to me, this is AI's Unicef work. Has he done something independent of 'Idol Gives Back' - totally arranged by Fox, Simon Fuller and 19, Freemantle North America's co-ordinated efforts?
    Clay had nothing whatsoever to do with Idol Gives Back. And his being appointed an ambassador for education for children worldwide for UNICEF didn't have anything to do with his having been on AI, except to the extent that Idol initially gave him the celebrity platform to get his voice heard when he speaks out on humanitarian issues. His having founded the Bubel-Aiken Foundation and his appointment (last fall) to the President's Committee For People With Intellectual Disabilities both stemmed from his pre-Idol college studies and work with children with disabilities (including Mike Bubel, the son of the woman who pushed him into auditioning for AI).

Clay founded the Bubel-Aiken Foundation in the months after AI2, in conjunction to completing his Bachelor's degree in Special Ed at UNCC. He served as a spokesperson for Ronald McDonald Charities after Idol, too. Even in the earliest AI interviews, Clay said that his first love was education and working with kids with disabilities, that he had planned to go into teaching and maybe become a school principal, and that the most important thing to him about fame would be that celebrities have the ability to get messages out about important causes and to serve as role models.

He was appointed a UNICEF Ambassador about 2 1/2 years ago and announced that on Larry King Live. He served in that capacity in Banda Aceh and in Africa (Uganda, I think), among other places.
    Shortly before Idol Gives Back, as it happens, Clay was in Afghanistan on behalf of UNICEF. (He talked with briefly on GMA about that work -- though Diane Sawyer brought AI5 up and wanting to talk about the current Idol season. Diane happened to run into him when she was in Afghanistan at the same time, and the interview was publicized as being about the UNICEF work.) Clay did a fundraiser among his fans, before Idol Gives Back, with the goal of raising $100 in a week for UNICEF. It ended up meeting that goal in 3 or 4 days and raising closer to $175 in all.

(If you check the earlier pages of this thread you'll find a lot more detail about Clay's involvement with these various humanitarian and educational causes. If you check Clay Aiken Part I, II, III, ... XIII here, you'll find even more info about that kind of work and the honors he's gotten for it.

PS,
    UNICEF was only one of a whole bunch of organizations supported by Idol Gives Back. UNICEF was not their primary focus.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-11-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Miss Thing, you kind of make my point about the AI references not being needed (at least not in duplicate or triplicate) in every article about Clay. You, like most people who know Clay from American Idol, seem totally aware that he was on AI2 and was runner-up. Why mention it so often?

I hate to compare Clay with Paris Hilton, but in one way this is comparable.
    We all know that Paris would never have gotten a recording contract or TV show or become a fave of the paparazzi if she weren't a filthy-rich heiress (and if that sex tape hadn't made its way around the net). But when the media write up "news" articles about Paris's latest escapades, they seldom mention her being heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune or the sex tape, much less use up 10%-25% of their words describing that background.

OK. Here's my point - it's very plain and simple.

Without AI - Clay Aiken is what is known where I come from, as the Big Squadoosh.

He's nothing. He is a zero. He is not known beyond his neighborhood bar, if even there.

He owes whatever miniscule claim to fame he has to AI. That's it. He'd still be back in Small Town, USA if it weren't for AI. No, he wouldn't have gotten this publicity at all if it weren't for AI. He'd be a snooze bar on our alarm clock of life.

He owes his entire currently livlihood to that show. To even dream that mentioning the show in conjunction with his name, every single time his name comes up, is somehow insulting him is just not coming to grips with why he's even still around.

Did he do the right thing on the plane? No, he didn't. Did the woman in question? No, she didn't. Would anyone even care if he'd never been on AI? No, they wouldn't. Would he have been on that plane if he hadn't been on AI? No, he wouldn't.

Bottom line - this guy's entire entity is entirely dependent on his having been on AI. It's justified to mention the fact that he was on AI in every single sentence that even mentions his name.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread