+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 180 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118168 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

promosquad isnt one that is brought to the clayboards to vote on, besides, thats the thing that they ask you if you know this person, how would you rate them ETC, its completely random how they come up, so you can waste a lot of time before even getting Clay, I do promosquad to listen to new music, and I have yet to get clay on there, so I dont think the results are skewed that much. its entirely possible to believe that he is 10 on that list....he is still popular enough...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2451252;
    This list just strikes me like the Idol Report Card -- not very scientific, and obviously flawed.
    Well, I've been a critic of PromoSquad's methodology in the past, so I won't say they're terribly scientific in this instance either. E.g., when they have you rate new music, sometimes you have to rate songs based on short, non-representative clips. You also usually are told who the artist is ahead of time, which introduces a potential "halo effect." And even when you get to hear whole songs or long clips, you often have to listen to a humongous # of songs to get to any you're interested in, so you may tend to burn out.*
    I could go on, but let's just say I'm not sure how much predictive validity PromoSquad's rate-the-music research actually has.
    I just don't have any reason to believe their research methodology for HitPredictor is any less valid.

The fact is, many "oldie" albums, artists, and mp3s do continue to sell, year after year, both in record stores and online. It's not unusual for albums on the Billboard "Catalog" chart to sell enough in any given week that they would make the Billboard 200 Albums chart (even the top 100) if they were eligible. Don't assume that just because you don't hear James Taylor, Elton John and Billy Joel a lot on CHR/Pop stations, there's little demand for their music.

*SRS is right. If you sign up for PromoSquad just to try to affect the ratings of one artist or a few artists, you'll probably give up in frustration long before you get to do that. You could listen to hundreds and hundreds of other songs before you ever heard one from an artist you were interested in.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 06-26-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

It was interesting to see Carrie so high on that list especially when she is listed at #16 on the Country Charts behind such stalwarts as Joe Nichols & Blaine Shelton. I don't think there has been anyone hotter in Country the past year & 1/2. So I wonder about their methodology also.
    Last edited by razorbacker; 06-26-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Not to defend their methodology, but note that they update these charts every week and it seems that various artists' rankings vary widely from week to week. Who knows what factors may produce such wide swings? Possibly a number of "random" variations in sampling, for one thing. I imagine that an artist's average weekly rating over a number of weeks or months is a more meaningful predictor.

Oh, and while Carrie is probably the hottest country newcomer now, I don't think she's beating some of the more established country artists like Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, Rascal Flatts, Martina McBride, etc. in things like concert revenues, overall airplay, etc. Some of the 'veteran' country artists have albums with sales that make the sales of "Some Hearts" look almost paltry by comparison. And remember, this chart is about Mainstream AC, not country per se. (I hear Faith Hill and Tim McGraw on AC mix stations more often than I do Carrie.)
    Last edited by Grisabella; 06-27-2007 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2452994;
    Not to defend their methodology, but note that they update these charts every week and it seems that various artists' rankings vary widely from week to week. Who knows what factors may produce such wide swings? Possibly a number of "random" variations in sampling, for one thing. I imagine that an artist's average weekly rating over a number of weeks or months is a more meaningful predictor.

Oh, and while Carrie is probably the hottest country newcomer now, I don't think she's beating some of the more established country artists like Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, Rascal Flatts, Martina McBride, etc. in things like concert revenues, overall airplay, etc. Some of the 'veteran' country artists have albums with sales that make the sales of "Some Hearts" look almost paltry by comparison. And remember, this chart is about Mainstream AC, not country per se. (I hear Faith Hill and Tim McGraw on AC mix stations more often than I do Carrie.)
    If you want to specify why Carrie is behind all those Country legends then explain why she is in front of Journey,Elton John, & Fleetwood Mac among other Rock legends on the AC & Top 40 charts. And the comparisons with Faith & Tim don't really hold water if you look at the placings on all these different genres.

Mainstream AC Carrie #3 Faith Hill 22, Tim McGraw 47

Mainac - promosquad HitPredictor Radio and Records

Top 40 Carrie # 4 Faith Hill & Tim McGraw are neither one in the Top 50

Top40 - promosquad HitPredictor Radio and Records

Country Carrie #16, Tim McGraw 6, Faith Hill 36

Country - promosquad HitPredictor Radio and Records

Hot AC Carrie #17, Faith Hill 31, Tim McGraw not in the Top 50.

Hotac - promosquad HitPredictor Radio and Records

So, I just don’t see what you are getting at.

But, this is a Clay thread & I apologize for taking it off course.

I don't think it's fair to compare her to the more established country singers, they've been in the business for many years. She is doing extremely well for a newcomer. Her cd has sold over 6 million copies and it's still going strong but she's still a newcomer. As for concerts, I've read that Carrie herself has said she doesn't feel as comfortable just yet headlining concerts, she knows she needs experience, time to learn her craft (touring).

Razorback, all I was talking about re the country artists is what I hear on AC mix stations. What's currently "hot" on CMA and on country radio isn't necessarily what country artists get heard most on AC (crossover) stations. Just saying I wouldn't discount Promosquad's methodology based on their Mainstream AC HitPredictor rankings not jibing with, say, the current Billboard singles (or albums) charts. (Also, maybe someone can remind me -- Are the Billboard singles sub-charts, e.g., Country, Dance, AC, Hip-Hop, Hot AC, etc., based solely on airplay or on both sales and airplay?)

Bringing it squarely back to Clay, I'd say that, while this particular Promosquad ranking is just a 'snapshot' and their methodology may not be perfect, it's still a good sign for him, and I'm not terribly surprised by it.

Graycat, whatever the (legitimate) reasons, some artists are currently (and over the past few years) bringing in more concert revenues (as headliners) than others, and that sort of ranking does not necessarily correlate strongly with radio airplay, awards (e.g., Grammys, CMAs), or even CD and mp3 sales. Clay is clearly one of the top concert draws among Idol alumni and doing as well as many big-name non-Idol artists, or better, in that arena.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 06-28-2007 at 03:26 AM.

The "Soft rock and hard place"(unofficially lol) tour starts on Wednesday in Frisco TX, one of the states biggest fireworks show is after clays concert, and the venue holds 20k people!! the energy is gonna be amazing, wish I was gonna be there, mine is a month away.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fan

Last night was awesome! He sang songs I never imagined that he'd sing and the songs from ATDW were beautiful. What a talented amazing performer he is. He can sing anything and make himself sound like anyone he wants to. I'm still speechless.

Where did Clay perform at?

+ Reply to Thread