+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 180 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fan

Re: Clay Aiken

I would not be surprised if Clay was invited and turned them down.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2349888;
    I would not be surprised if Clay was invited and turned them down.
    I would be. I don't think it's in him to turn down something like this that has the potential to raise so much money for these charities. Even if he would want to say no, I don't think he would actually do it, not when he could help. But, honestly, I don't think AI asked. He is, and will likely always be, the "red-headed step-child", and they feel they can treat him as such whenever it suits them. I hate that. It isn't right, IMO, but I know he doesn't sweat it anymore, so neither do I.

I'm sure he didn't turn them down, and on the UNICEF web page where they talk about the Idol Gives Back fundraiser, they do picture Clay and mention that he is one of their ambassadors.
    If UNICEF is talked about on the show tonight and there is no mention of Clay whatsoever, even in passing, it will confirm my perception that there has been an ever-growing rift between Clay and all the 19E affiliates, including RCA. That rift has been growing since some time in early 2004 (though in many ways it started way back during AI2), and it has really increased since mid-2005, finally reaching the point where AI6 has not mentioned him once (if I recall correctly) and has only pictured him once, for about half a second. This seems really odd, given that he is, however you slice and dice it, one of their 3 to 5 most honored and commercially successful alumni and, where humanitarian and charitable work is concerned, he's clearly their #1. But if the widespread rumors are true, that Clay and RCA are about to part ways and he may sign with a competitor, it's not that hard to figure out why they don't want him to be successful or get recognition for his work. If he leaves RCA voluntarily and signs with another major label, he will be the first from the Idol stable to do that. Everyone else who is with a non-RMG label was either never offered an RMG contract (e.g., Kim Locke, Josh Gracin) or was offered one and later dropped (e.g., Tamyra Gray, Justin Guarini). I really don't think TPTB at Idol/19 like that precedent being set one bit.
    (Notice how quickly they went into action to sign Jennifer Hudson, whom RMG had previously passed over, as soon as she became a success on her own? It just wouldn't do to have a former Idol castoff be a big-name star making money for 19's competitors.)

Still, I think a lot of the Idol viewing public is aware of Clay's humanitarian work, including his being a UNICEF Ambassador -- heck, I hear his UNICEF public service announcements on radio all the time --, and his omission from tonight's show (no appearance, no mention), like certain silences, will speak very loudly.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 04-25-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Clay 2007 concert in Frisco, TX

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;2349679;
    More information about Clay's concert appearance at the Freedom Fest in San Francisco Frisco:

Jennifer Kimble from the Contact Us heading at the Freedom Fest site says that Clay will be the only act and it will perform with a 45-piece orchestra, before the fireworks. Probably at least a 45-minute set.
    Actually that concert is in Frisco, Texas, not San Francisco ...
    Thanks for the correction.
    The post I read just said "Frisco," with no state mentioned, so I misunderstood where it was.

and the donation total has jumped up to about $182,000.00. I don't think it's the final total yet.
    That's great too! Not quite double the initial goal in 10 days but way, way over it!

I think I'll send them a donation tonight.

FORT Fan

Clay is shown on the main page of the NY Public Radio Show

WNYC - New York Public Radio

In Another Light
    The Leonard Lopate Show
    Airs weekdays at noon

Clay Aiken became a household name through American Idol. He’s here today to talk about becoming a UNICEF ambassador, and working to bring the everyday lives of children in Afghanistan to the spotlight.

Underreported: Clay Aiken on Afghanistan

Clay Aiken has had plenty of media exposure. But he joins us for today’s Underreported to talk about a subject that doesn’t get a lot of press: health care and education in Afghanistan. Clay Aiken recently returned from a trip to Afghanistan as a UNICEF Ambassador, where he helped launch the "$100,000 in 10 Days" campaign to support Afghanistan's health centers and schools
    As we know the goal was met and exceeded but this interview airs today at noon EST.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

As much as I love Clay and what he has been doing for other organizations, I am a bit disappointed in him for not coming to this. This would have been his night to shine and help the kids not only in Africa, but right here in his own country
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Re: Clay Aiken Part XIV

Combat, why would you blame Clay for not appearing. I think it's pretty obvious he wasn't invited. Kelly and Carrie were the two chosen for the AI spotlight, with a brief glimpse of Chris Daughtry in one of the montages. I don't think any of the other former Idols were asked to participate.

I think the Idol execs were not so subtly thumbing their noses at Clay by having Annie Lennox perform the song that is widely hailed as the outstanding performance of AI2 (the one Simon Cowell said he thought "could win you this competition" and Paula Abdul said was the best of the entire competition). Clay's performance of that song is clearly recognized as one of the top showstoppers of all the Idol seasons. Had they gotten Art Garfunkel or Simon & Garfunkel to perform it, I would not have taken it as a slap in the face to Clay, but to bring in someone else for that particular song seemed to send a clear message of "Clay who?"
    Last edited by Grisabella; 04-26-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Gris, I'm not blaming him at all. I was just disappointed that he wasn't there. I'm sure he would have been if they allowed him to. My point was that they know he is really into helping children and they don't ask him to come??? WTF??? The only reason Kelly (who has dissed AI) was there was to make an appearance for her upcoming album.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I'm disappointed too. (Pissed is more like it.) I thought you said you were disappointed in him.

As I've said, to anyone who has at all followed what the Idol stars have been doing since their respective AI seasons or to anyone who pays much attention to UNICEF ambassadors, Simon's and Ryan's silence re Clay last night was probably spoke as loudly as a lot of what they did say.

Some of Clay's work for UNICEF has been in Darfur, and there is plenty of footage of that available from UNICEF. They could easily have used some of that.
    It would also have seemed more logical had they used Clay's I Will Carry You on the show instead of Josh Groban's You Raise Me Up. The lyrics and message of I Will Carry You are more in keeping with the idea of our reaching out to help those in need. The lyrics to You Raise Me Up are more of a love song to someone who has inspired you as a lover or role model.
    It's also surprising since all the commercial music Clay has recorded to date has been for RCA (19R), so if he had appeared and it had boosted sales of that song (or BOTW) or of his Measure Of A Man album, the Idol people would have been partial beneficiaries. Josh Groban is under contract to one of Clive's competitors.

Something must be really awry in the relationship between Clay and the Idol PTB to make them not want one of their biggest stars to remain a commercial success. Right now they seem to be trying to hype the careers of any and every former Idol contestant who is signed with an RMG label -- except Clay.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 04-26-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2352570;
    I'm disappointed too. (Pissed is more like it.) I thought you said you were disappointed in him.

I did, but that's not what I meant. My fingers were way ahead of my brain:nono

+ Reply to Thread