+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 180 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Hotlantan,

I really don't understand what you are upset about. He sang a song they gave him to sing, the way they wanted him to sing it. Why would you feel dubed?

FORT Apache, The Bronx
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    If Clay was given carte blanche to sing the song however he liked and chose to do a "copy" of the original, then I do think it's a little disappointing.
    Of course, if he was instructed to sing the song the same as the original, then I also find it a little disappointing because it shows what little control the Idols have over their careers.
    Andrea, fluff summed up exactly why I am disappointed. Clay's version is nothing more than a karaoke soundalike, and gives credence to the argument that MOAM was rush released simply to cash in on his wild popularity quickly before the new AI3 phenomenon is identified and Clay possibly becomes the next Justin Guarini.

I would have preferred that they had taken the time to develop original, quality music that might more credibly help to launch an artists' longer term career, the way 19 seemed to do with Grammy nominees Kelly and Ruben. But hey - MOAM sold over 2 million, so maybe that's all that matters.

Fluff - I posted the link to the D-Side song/video in my initial post:

http://www.dside.co.uk/content/video...right.php?id=9

Quote Originally Posted by Hotlantan
    Andrea, fluff summed up exactly why I am disappointed. Clay's version is nothing more than a karaoke soundalike, and gives credence to the argument that MOAM was rush released simply to cash in on his wild popularity quickly before the new AI3 phenomenon is identified and Clay possibly becomes the next Justin Guarini.
    I don't doubt that you are probably right. All they care about is making money. Did you not enjoy the Song invisible? From what I infer from your post, you liked it untill you felt Clay sang it the same way the other artists did. I agree, I would have liked for all his songs to have been orginal. Actually, I don't think his cd really shows off his voice as much as I would have liked, but I did enjoy the cd because Clay has such a beautiful voice. I would love to hear him sing songs like Josh Groban sings. I think his voice is more suited for that kind of music, but I still liked his cd, and am not disappointed. But I do think the best is yet to come.

I would have preferred that they had taken the time to develop original, quality music that might more credibly help to launch an artists' longer term career,
    I'm glad you are concerned about his career, I am too. Do you think they made him sing it the same way the other artists did? I haven't heard it yet. I've tried this link and also the last time you posted, but It doesn't work for me.

http://www.dside.co.uk/content/video...right.php?id=9

Invisible

D-Side's came out first and here where I live in the Middle East, I've actually heard their version of "Invisible" on the radio 2 or 3 times, but not Clay's. I have also heard "Flying without Wings" by somebody, NOT Ruben. Both versions are very similar to the other versions with one big difference, the voices. Clay and Ruben have distinctive voices of their own and to somebody who loves their voices in and of themselves, whatever they sing will most likely be enjoyed fully, even if it's a cover. Again, this is "in my opinion".

Yes, Clay's version of Invisible is distinctive cuz of his energy, voice and idiosyncratic enunciation--for those reasons alone I like his version better than D-side's. On the other hand, I do think D-side's phrasing is a little different--more subtle than Clay's--but I've never thought Clay's phrasing was his strong suit.

I don't think the people at RCA ever thought that Clay would become the next Justin Guarini. But BMG (which owns RCA) is notorious for buying the rights to songs and then having more than one artist record them, as long as they are not likely to be marketed in the same country. The versions Dosqueen has heard were recorded by artists from the UK (or maybe FWOW was done by an Irish group - not sure). Simon Fuller probably saw the potential in the song and wanted to get it into the US market, so he gave it to Clay to record. They made the American Juniors cover songs that S Club 7 and S Club Juniors recorded. There are probably more examples and we will probably see more of them in the future. Clay is just an employee of RCA. He did not get to select the songs or producers for MOAM.
    Last edited by zippy; 02-04-2004 at 07:24 AM.

Andrea, Clay said in an interview with billboard radio that D-side hadn't released it yet when Clay first decided to do Invisible. He talked about how they presented the songs to him and after he decided he liked Invisible he heard that D-side was doing it. I don't know if Clay heard them when he started recording.
    I agree with Dosqueen about the differences being in the voices.

Wow, two days without a post! I wonder when TPTB will let Clay make an album that is truly his. I would much rather listen to my downloads of his old non-professional CDs and songs from AI than his new songs. I wonder if they know how many people are ready and waiting to buy his next album and hoping it will be a fantastic showcase for his voice.
    "Once more into the breach, dear friends!"

Camsgran,
    It does seem a little odd no one is posting. I'm sure once the concerts start there will be plenty of posting going on. I'm with you, I love his pre AI songs, but I do love his voice in his cd too. When I don't listen to his new cd for awhile, Then go back and listen I love it all over again. I agree many of us are waiting and ready to buy his next cd. I think his next cd will be much better, if they allow him to pick the songs. I think he will have more say of what will go on the album, at least I hope so. I'm still waiting for "Solitaire".

Crysma,
    Thanks for the information on "invisible". Still haven't heard the one by D-side. I agree with dosqueen even if it is a cover, If you love his voice what does it matter? I would love a cd of Clay singing all the songs (full versions) he did on AI for the competition. I think he sounds better than the original people that sang it.
    Last edited by Andrea; 02-07-2004 at 01:37 AM.

Andrea, I'm with you on waiting for the Solitaire CD. I wonder if there is a way to let the studio know how eager we are for it. I'm sure in would on platinum as fast as the others.
    "Once more into the breach, dear friends!"

+ Reply to Thread