+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 179 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by crysma
    I had pretty much stopped posting in this thread, but just wanted to respond to this comment. From what I can tell, Clay understands that his career is a group effort. When he won his awards, the first people he thanked were Simon Fuller, Clive Davis, and the producers of his album. Also during interviews, he often mentions his hair people and his stylists. Clay's talent is his own unique individual gift, and it's a very special talent. However he could not have marketed his talents on his own, and he is humble enough to recognize that.

The other 'mom' comment was about the fact that she let Leno use her home videos, so he was annoyed.
    About the "we" comment-I thought it was just a slip up based on the fact that month after month, throughout AI2 and then the tour afterwards, Clay was part of a group. I think he was just thinking back to the tour when he was not alone and remembering himself along with the others and how they probably all laughed about the panties together, collectively, hence "we" and not "I".

Also, IMO, I thought his mother comments were appropriate, after all wouldn't many people say something similar if their own mom had donated an embarrassing old video of you to be played before millions of TV viewers? I mean c'mon, that glittery vest was...gulp...wrong in just so many ways. "Yeah, thanks a lot Mom...not!"

I'll end by saying that I thought this Leno appearance was awesome-I laughed at what both Jay and Clay had to say. (gee I just realized I'm an unintentional poet, albeit a bad one ) I really liked their rapport and thought Clay seemed quite relaxed and happy.

FORT Fan
    Yeah, Clay did have that experience working as a group, but that was quite awhile ago now. He isn't touring by himself, but since the show ended, I would think Clay and his people have been concentrating more on how to make him successful as an individual artist.... as they do with everyone.

I thought the Leno appearance was good, too.......didn't catch what he said about his mom when they showed the old video of him. I was just refering to how often he mentions her when asked personal questions, and the "we" comment had me thinking he was slipping up because maybe his mom has a huge part/say in what he admits to saying or doing. Clay is enjoying himself, I'm sure, but I would say Ruben is looking much more relaxed and happy than Clayton these days. JMHO

Just to clarify a tad more-yes I noted the "we" and thought, "huh?" but in my experience as an English teacher, strange things slip out of people's mouths all the time because the brain thinks so much more quickly. Think about all the slip-ups you make, Whether they be freudian or grammatically incorrect or whatever. Perhaps I am just hyper aware of people doing that because as an ESL/EFL teacher, I'm constantly monitoring what my non-native English speaking students are saying and it slips over into my conversations outside the classroom.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Leno appearance and also liked what I heard on Ed!

FORT Fan
    I was thinking about that too, how "The Way" will do in sales compared to the "Invisible" single. After seeing Clay's recent perfomance on Leno, I prefer "The Way" over "Invisible".

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Andrea, that's a great description of Clay. Have a great time at the Chicago concert. I wish that I was going to one but, Becky Blue (my Buick) will not make the trip.
    I've read many of your post, and you seem like such a nice person. Always trying to make peace between those of us that aren't as good natured as you. Sorry you won't be able to go to the concert, eldee. Even my husband wants to go. He actually fed my addiction. Knowing how much I liked Clay,If he saw a magazine with clay on the cover he would buy it for me. One time he bought me this magazine, I can't remember the name, but it was some teen magazine (I'm a 52 year old woman) I read the article and threw it away. I would have been so ebarrased if someone saw it and thought I read teen magazines, and especially that one; it didn't seem very wholesome. I aked him not to buy me anymore teen magazines.

I'm glad you liked the description of Clay too.

Just got caught up with the discussion about Jay Leno. I tend to agree that he probably is used to saying "we" because of all of the American Idol things, or he could have been trying to include his band or the other people helping him. It also could be like Dos said, and that it had no significance at all.
    Last edited by clay crazy; 01-25-2004 at 12:48 AM.

FORT Fan
    I think you're both right, clay crazy and dosqueen, just watched the clip from Leno off the airplay central site and it didn't look/sound nearly as odd as I had previously thought. Funny how that happens.

FORT Apache, The Bronx
    I may be months late coming to the table, but has anyone else heard the ORIGINAL version of "Invisible" by D-Side? I just found the video, and in my opinion Clay copied their record literally note for note!

All of the reverbs and subtle production tricks that helped me to enjoy Clay's song were actually carbon copies of the D-Side version. Since I assumed that those phrasings were original to Clay's style, needless to say I now feel duped and disappointed.

Check out the D-Side video and post your opinion here:

http://www.dside.co.uk/content/video...right.php?id=9

http://www.dside.co.uk

Sounds pretty much the same by Clay and D-Side. But how much choice was Clay given with arrangement? And the D-Side lead singer has an 'S' problem. I do too, that is probably why I picked it up
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

hotlan, the arrangement and production are the same, the voices are different. I noticed quite a difference the first time I head D-side's version. maybe it's becaue I listen to clay's version so often that I picked up the differences.

+ Reply to Thread