+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 180 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

I didn't see the co-host chat, but I have heard (and roses has just confirmed above) that things got a bit much during that segment and some have perceived Clay as being rude to Kelly.
    I think this might have set them off on a bad foot and Clay commenting early into the interview with Emmitt and Cheryl that he hadn't had a chance to say anything didn't seem to please her either.

I don't know whether Clay has co-hosted this show before, but if he hasn't perhaps they should have coached him or given him a bit more guidance as to what his role was expected to be.

I see the guest hosts as very much the back-ups to Kelly.
    She takes the lead with the interviews when Regis isn't there and often when he is, but I feel that she dominates the chat, he generally takes the lead in the interviews.
    Did they want him to ask questions, or just to basically sit there?
    It seems like they were at cross purposes with him thinking he was meant to participate and Kelly not really giving him much of a chance.
    To then follow up with "let me know when I can say something", just appeared to annoy her even more.

With regard to her waiting the weekend to say something, I didn't see the show on Monday so I don't know how that came about.
    There has been talk about this on the internet and for all we know Kelly might have received some of those legendary nasty Claymate emails so she felt she had to say something, I don't know.
    She did tell him in what I felt to be no uncertain terms on the show that she wasn't happy with what he did.
    He instantly knew she was annoyed because he asked her if what he had done was "a no-no".
    I think it was pretty crystal at that point that she wasn't pleased, she addressed it instantly.
    Why she then felt the need to say anything in addition to that on Monday's show I don't know.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2150599;

Why she then felt the need to say anything in addition to that on Monday's show I don't know.
    Because she is a DIVA with an ENORMOUS based on absolutely nothing ego?

She is one of the most fake pesonalities on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1;2150870;
    Because she is a DIVA with an ENORMOUS based on absolutely nothing ego?

She is one of the most fake pesonalities on TV.
    Exactly. And if what one reads is true, no one dislikes Kelly more than Regis. I used to often see him get terribly annoyed with her. Not much anymore because I don't watch her. Her cutie performance gets a little old from a woman her age. The teen thing needs to be left up to them.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Clay is presenting on the AMA awards tonight and Jimmy Kimmel is hosting. Can't wait to see that, especially after "Ripa Gate!"

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2150534;
    I'm not biased toward Clay or Kelly, but I saw the show, and my take on it was the good-natured ribbing that he started doing at the beginning of the hour, eventually tipped over the edge of enough already for me, and it was obvious he didn't know when to let it go, and this was before the hand-over-mouth incident. I've seen it before -- the bantering going haywire-- (not on this show, nor by him), but it happens. I'm thinking perhaps it's his immaturity and/or perhaps simply being nervous, but my reaction even at the time was that he went too far, and if he didn't have the good sense to stop, someone (Gelman?) should have tipped him off during commercial breaks to knock it off.
    Unless, of course, the producers told him to keep it up. As was mentioned before: "ratings stunt"
    (at least in the producers' minds)
    ...Kelly and Clay have no history, so it just came off as oddly, and inappropriately mean spirited, imo.
    Ah, but they do have one -- contrary to Kelly's assertion Monday that she doesn't know him and there's no feud between them.
    He's been a guest on the show at least 2 or 3 times before, including winning the "Relly" for "Best Reality TV Star Guest" in 2004. Kelly was overtly a Ruben supporter during AI2, but when Clay appeared on the show and sang Bridge Over Troubled Water, Kelly seemed genuinely impressed, as though she'd never really watched AI much before and probably based her opinions mostly on media hype. Ever since she met Clay, she seemed to like him, appreciate his talent, and be friendly to him.

Then on the R and K Halloween show, Kelly "impersonated" Clay not only by wearing a Clay costume, hairdo, etc., but by literally throwing herself all over the men on the stage: Regis as "Bo Bice," and a bunch of others. It was way beyond portraying him as effeminate or dorky. She portrayed himself as a sort of gay male version of former Senator Bob Packwood (who was basically forced to resign because of multiple women complaining that he was always making unprovoked sexual advances such as copping feels). This was quite some time before the tabloids had run any accusations about Clay's private life. If Kelly thinks it's "disrespectful" for a guest co-host to try to compete for mic time, trade snarky barbs with her, or jokingly put his hand over her mouth the way she does to Regis, I wonder how "respectful" she thinks it is to "impersonate" a guy she "hardly knows" in a way that paints him as something far worse than anyone else has ever even accused him of being.

At any rate, Kelly didn't invite Clay to co-host, the producers did. She probably didn't like the idea any more than he did, but he did it for publicity for his album. (Duh.) And she had no choice. I could sense negative chemistry between them from the outset. But for the first half of the show, I think it worked to make the show energetic and funny. When she threatened to take him over her knee and he quipped, "And all I gotta do is keep being combattive!?" I thought it was a hoot!

But when Clay got carried away, probably with a mixture of anger and showmanship, and violated Kelly's Clay-Aiken-specific "boundaries," I think Clay's lingering resentment and frustration showed through, as did Kelly's contempt for him (the contempt that prompted her to do that vicious Halloween portrayal in the first place.)

I've read from people that were there, that Clay did apologize to Kelly during the break right after the hand incident. He also spoke well of her on yesterday's "The Insider." And towards the end of last Friday's R&K, she seemed to have moved on, too.
    It should've been left at that.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Did anyone see on the American Music Awards tonight when Clay and Tori Spelling were introducing John Mayer?? They were reading from the teleprompter and then Tori suddenly put her hand over her mouth (mockingly) and then said "I'll tell you later where that hand has been!".... .........I thought it was funny!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

That was hilarious!

More of the "pictorial essay":
    Earlier this year on Regis & Kelly:

Video clips of Clay giving Kelly Ripa a taste of her own snarky medicine:
    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/
    (Click under Clay's picture.)

Access Hollywood :
    http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah2735.shtml

(This next one is too big to post, so you'll have to click the link, for now.)
    Tonight on the American Music Awards:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kellykellyk/ama06-148.jpg

And after the show:
    Last edited by Grisabella; 11-22-2006 at 03:28 AM.

Oh, and today Clay's appearance on the Tyra Banks Show will air. It's syndicated, so check local listings.
    It seems, unlike Kelly Ripa, Tyra really enjoyed having Clay on her show and they had great rapport. Should be a good show!

whoohoo clay!! you did awesome on the awards!

my take on the kelly thing, for what its worth..maybe Clay did go overboard..but he did ask gelman "is it not ok for me to make fun of her" and gelman said yes it was ok, now why not give him a look or something then...the hand thing may have been over the top, but thats how clay is, it was probably to much, yes I as a clay fan will agree, but he immediately noticed his error, and was seen backstage apologizing..so why didnt Kelly let it go? he was obviously nervous, he couldnt get a word in edgewise, there were many times when he went to speak and she just kept on going...if he wasnt supposed to COHOST then what was he there for? setting aside whether Clay may or may not have been wrong on Friday, why did Kelly feel the need to keep going? he apologized, he felt bad and embarrassed, so why does she need to make him feel worse about it? there are plenty of people who have had clay on their show who said he is a sweetheart, and when she said that was a no no, he immediately shrinked back like his hand had been slapped..he was scolded like a child, and he felt it..you could see it on his face...so my question again is why does she feel the need to keep going? why not leave him alone, and dont let him back if thats what you want? Kelly set the tone of the monologue though, with the halloween thing that SHE brought up knowing that it was a touchy subject, and then the cat thing....so she was allowed to snark on him all she wanted but he couldnt play back? If Clay was wrong in snarking on her during the gig, she was even more wrong for ragging on him on national tv when he already felt bad and he wasnt there to defend himself.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread