+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3486763;
    I remember posting back in the day, i.e. during Clay's season, that I'd support Clay to the end (gay or not), but that if he turned into an arrogant prick, it would come to an end.

Needless to say, I'm no longer a Clay fan.

I find the recent reports about Adam's diva-like behavior quite funny. In Clay's defense, he didn't become an ass for a year or two after his season. Sounds like it was only a day or two for Adam.

The reports have turned me off of Adam - in the same way they did for Clay. As far as I'm concerned, the two could go away tomorrow, and I wouldn't miss either one of them (they can take Kate Gosselin with them - for the very same reason).

I really thought Adam should have won Idol, but now I'm glad he didn't.

I thought you only disliked Clay and was being unreasonable. Now, I can see that you are being fair, about both men and their perceived attitudes.
    Last edited by graycat11; 06-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon
    I don't trust the media as far as I can throw them. Adam would have to be a jerk to me personally for me to believe the stories written about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD;3488007;
    I agree. But as to his quips about Clay getting media attention now, whereas he wasn't before, and Clay being welcome to ride his coattails, those are up there on video for all to see and hear. He said those things in interviews with, I believe, E! TV.
    True, you cannot believe everything you read. Many things in the news, not just gossip, celebrity sites, get misquoted.

Clay does not, has never needed to ride anyone's coattails.

If Clay wanted to ride someone's coattails, I doubt he'd start by saying something that would probably alienate them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3491375;
    I thought you only disliked Clay and was being unreasonable. Now, I can see that you are being fair, about both men and their perceived attitudes.
    Had Clay remained humble, I'd still be a fan. That isn't the case. I'm a firm believer in the notion of "where there is smoke there's fire". I'm sure not all reports are true - or true to the extent people report them to be, but when you get enough of them, it usually means something.

Plus, where Clay is concerned, I've got first-hand confirmation - and it had to do with a public school/children AND fear on the part of the person I spoke to. No perceptions involved. Flat out fact.
    Last edited by Jexter; 06-10-2009 at 11:49 AM.

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3493067;
    Had Clay remained humble, I'd still be a fan. That isn't the case. I'm a firm believer in the notion of "where there is smoke there's fire." I'm sure not all reports are true - or true to the extent people report them to be, but when you get enough of them, it usually means something.
    Well, if I were to believe all the reports I've heard and read about Clay, I'd say he's somewhere between saint and terrible sinner (maybe like a lot of other people?). I know of as many reports about his kindness, humility, generosity and good nature as I do about his quarrels with some people and other shortcomings.
    But while there's usally "something" behind rumors that become widespread, that something isn't always simple truth. I could cite several well-documented examples of someone's words or actions being grossly misrepresented both in the media and subsequently in "conventional wisdom." I mean cases where I've actually witnessed the original event and then seen and read the so-called "news reports" of the same event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3493067;
    Plus, where Clay is concerned, I've got first-hand confirmation - and it had to do with a public school/children AND fear on the part of the person I spoke to. No perceptions involved. Flat out fact.
    Fear of what??? (There's fear of making a fool of oneself and then there's fear for your life -- and a lot in between.)
    You seem to be making a rather strong accusation against Clay, though vague enough for the reader to imagine anything from
    If your information is from someone who was there and then told you about it, it's no longer first-hand information. That's a step removed.

Can you tell us what you saw or heard? I'd be interested to know.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellender;3496984;
    Can you tell us what you saw or heard? I'd be interested to know.
    Gawker - Clay Aiken Hates The Little Children - Clay Aiken

newspaper confirms "ugly details" about Clay's NJ concert; his special bombed. + reality blurred

I, like many, discount negative press as untrue but this was over the top. I, being an obsessive ClayManiac, tracked down a person intimately in-the-know, and unfortunately, the ugliness was confirmed.

I get that everyone has a bad day now and again, but this isn't a "bad day" in action. This is a person whose fame and fortune has gone to his head.

It was reported that the envelope was given over empty for a photo op, they were not just given an empty envelope.. and they did get their money, also a dad of a student that was there said nothing happened the way it was reported, so I guess it depends on what story you want to believe..of course I can't bring any stories that show the other side because I don't have them right at my fingerprints..that was years ago..

There were also many reports from that same tour about how great it was to work with clay, how nice he was, how good he treated them..
    Last edited by srs_in_Oregon; 06-14-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3500841;
    It was reported that the envelope was given over empty for a photo op, they were not just given an empty envelope.. and they did get their money, also a dad of a student that was there said nothing happened the way it was reported, so I guess it depends on what story you want to believe..of course I can't bring any stories that show the other side because I don't have them right at my fingerprints..that was years ago..

There were also many reports from that same tour about how great it was to work with clay, how nice he was, how good he treated them.

Different people had different takes on what happened backstage at that school concert years ago, and the $500 was, indeed, paid to the school, as promised. Nobody's perception of the events is rock-solid proof of what happened and why, but apparently Clay did get into a verbal argument with a teacher who was not really involved in the production.
    Last edited by Ellender; 06-14-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Jexter, I checked out the links you posted, and all I can gather is that these are blogs where someone claims to have had first or second-hand knowledge that Clay asked his security guard to enforce a "no cameras" policy (possibly by temporarily confiscating a forbidden camera); that Clay used a fairly standard "dummy envelope" in a photo op (with the donation being delivered separately); and that some student may have "feared" that if he "crossed" Clay Aiken, he would not have Clay as a friend inside the music industry. I didn't even see an allegation that there was any other sort of "fear" or misconduct involved.

(FWIW, I don't consider gawker a legitimate news source or anything close to it.)
    The journalistic integrity of the one blog is very suspect because that blog accuses Clay of killing animals, citing, as "evidence" a reference to comments by Triumph The Insult Dog and a snarky PETA ad, commenting on Clay's having told Rolling Stone that he has been terrified of cats ever since he (accidentally) ran over his kitten when he was about 16. He may or may not really believe that cats are "Satan," or that they all want revenge on him for the death of his pet, but no reporter has ever even accused Clay of deliberate cat killing ("Satanic" or otherwise).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellender;3501426;
    Jexter, I checked out the links you posted, and all I can gather is that these are blogs where someone claims to have had first or second-hand knowledge that Clay asked his security guard to enforce a "no cameras" policy (possibly by temporarily confiscating a forbidden camera); that Clay used a fairly standard "dummy envelope" in a photo op (with the donation being delivered separately); and that some student may have "feared" that if he "crossed" Clay Aiken, he would not have Clay as a friend inside the music industry. I didn't even see an allegation that there was any other sort of "fear" or misconduct involved.

(FWIW, I don't consider gawker a legitimate news source or anything close to it.)
    The journalistic integrity of the one blog is very suspect because that blog accuses Clay of killing animals, citing, as "evidence" a reference to comments by Triumph The Insult Dog and a snarky PETA ad, commenting on Clay's having told Rolling Stone that he has been terrified of cats ever since he (accidentally) ran over his kitten when he was about 16. He may or may not really believe that cats are "Satan," or that they all want revenge on him for the death of his pet, but no reporter has ever even accused Clay of deliberate cat killing ("Satanic" or otherwise).
    Regarding the first paragraph - I think we interpreted the content of the links differently.

Regarding the cat references - The writer is using sarcasm. FYI....I remember the entire cat fiasco clearly and yes, Clay was was unfairly targeted based on the comments that appeared in the Rolling Stone article.

In general -

As mentioned, I was skeptical of Clay's negative press, too, and that is precisely why I tracked down a person for confirmation. I didn't want to believe it was true, but I needed to know one way or another.

The person I got ahold of it confirmed everything you read - including the "fear" parts. I guess that's all I can offer. ...a first-hand account by someone who lived it. Not sure of what would constitute better proof than that?

There are other things that bother me about Clay, e.g. I don't particularly like how he interacts with his fans and former AI contestants. However, those are two different discussions and I know they would be never ending (like this one). Add it all up though and I'm off the Clay train (have been since 2004).

I'll try to stay out of Clay's thread...don't want to ruffle so many feathers. It's hard, though, because I do feel somewhat betrayed by Clay...as a fan, I mean, and I feel the need to snark from time-to-time.

Clay didn't turn out to be anything like he was when he was on the show (in my opinion, of course).

I know I'm alone on this - at least in this thread - but this is what I believe and how I feel.

I'm glad remaining Clay fans have someone they enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread