+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by tucrows;3474059;
    Adam rocks.....he is so right on!!!....Clay made an ignorant statement...
    ...and Adam seems to have responded in kind.

It seems the AI machine is truly at work. We're not hearing about the possible AT&T tampering or much about the winner vs. the second place finisher and if the right person won, etc. Heck no, we're hearing about a couple of silly comments made by two AI runners up. Ridiculous!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

The coattails comment was definitely more unkind than the first comment about getting more headlines, but, come one. Clay's original statement said Adam's performance made his ears bleed. That's about as caustic a statement as you can get. That's more unkind than the majority of the comments you'd even find on a fan forum like the FoRT. While I would have preferred Adam take the high road, Clay really has no one to blame but himself. Adam probably could have gone even more unkind and would still have been nicer than Clay's original comment. I think Clay's just gotta eat this one.

Clay won't comment again..he gave an opinion on one performance, he isn't one to get into a war of words..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3474840;
    Clay won't comment again..he gave an opinion on one performance, he isn't one to get into a war of words..
    Because he'll lose. Clay is a dolt. If he were anything more, he would never have said what he did to begin with.

FORT Fogey

I have to say that Adam seems to have a quick and sharp wit. He's a nice guy: he has a long fuse.....but at the end of the day it's attached to a powerful bomb. I think Clay or any other former contestant disses him at his own peril.

Quote Originally Posted by tucrows;3474059;
    Adam rocks.....he is so right on!!!....Clay made an ignorant statement...
    Clay admitted this when he did apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina;3474785;
    The coattails comment was definitely more unkind than the first comment about getting more headlines, but, come one. Clay's original statement said Adam's performance made his ears bleed. That's about as caustic a statement as you can get. That's more unkind than the majority of the comments you'd even find on a fan forum like the FoRT. While I would have preferred Adam take the high road, Clay really has no one to blame but himself. Adam probably could have gone even more unkind and would still have been nicer than Clay's original comment. I think Clay's just gotta eat this one.
    I agree, Clay needs to keep his mouth closed and eat this one, he loses, it's a no win situation for Clay.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina;3474785;
    While Clay's comments IMO should never have been made on a public board (paid membership or not), I take issue with the bolded part of your statement. I don't take issue because I'm a Clay fan. I take issue because this is the excuse that most of us use to justify our behavior on a regular basis. While I may be offended/not like/feel insulted by/angered, etc. by something someone else does or says ,they are not responsible for the way I react. We are each 100% responsible for the way we act or react in any given circumstances. Most of us justify our feelings/behavior on an everyday basis by making comments such as "well, she did/said" or "I reacted that way because you angered me." Those type of comments are in fact putting some of the responsibility for our actions on another person when we are responsible for our own behavior 100%, like it or not.

Sorry, this whole responsibility thing has become a huge thing for me in the past few years. It has made me strive to make sure that I don't do the above because I realized that no one can MAKE me do anything if I don't CHOOSE to do said thing.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

There is observable and meaningful causality in the world. While I can understand wanting to use the personal responsibility argument as a philosophy for self empowerment or something, it's silly to pretend, IMHO, that people's action are not related or even caused by the actions of others.

Even if we did only apply that philosophy to this situation, I think the best that you can say is that Clay and only Clay is responsible for the huge public shellacking he's got over his comments. I suppose you could also say that only Adam is responsible for the lack of shellacking he's gotten over his unkind statements, but I wouldn't agree. Again, I'd say that Clay's unprecipitated, harsher initial statements is the real reason Adam didn't get criticized over it.

To the Point

You give other people too much control over you, if you allow yourself to be drawn into responding in kind, so to speak. This isn't passive. It isn't an ideal, it's reality, we just don't typically live the truth of our actions. There is nothing "up with the world" about my feelings on this. We live in a society that typically makes excuses for actions based on circumstances. While I often fail, I still recognize that even when I react in the negative/harshly/anything that isn't healthy, no one else is responsible for my actions but me. Now there may be things that precipated my reactions, but my actions and reactions are wholly my responsibility. I do have the option of choosing a different response. In the senario of which we were speaking...Clay is 100% responsible for what he said and the way in which it was said and thus has to suffer the consequences. However, that does not negate the fact that Adam made a choice in how he responded, and while I can understand his response, it wasn't truly "the high road". Adam is 100% responsible for choosing to respond at all.

You can disagree and I have no issue with that, but ,any way you slice it ,we are each responsible for how we act, and we do make choices whether we are aware that we are making those choices or not. If we aren't aware, then perhaps a elongated pause might be in order prior to any response.

+ Reply to Thread