+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

In a viral internet environment that we have now, anything can be parsed and twisted. That said, Clay should have know given his background and orientation that anything he said about Adam would be taken wrong, good, bad or indifferent and should have stayed away from talking about him, period.

He is human, he makes mistakes. Personally I didn't see that season and have heard enough negative stories that I just don't have a interest in becoming a Clay Fan. He should be around for those who are, given he came to celebrity from Idol he might want to dial back the negative and ramp up the positive, be grateful for the fans he has and treat them well. (Not saying he doesn't treat them well.)

I hear tons of Carrie Underwood stories about how great she is with her fans. Most interactions she has with the press are positive. Most stories about her are positive.

Hopefully Clay learns from this and moves on. And maybe takes a second look before he posts. Today anyone can leak stories, you say it, it can be taped. Ask Cristian Bale. You post it, it can be reposted a zillion times.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Well I feel like clay treats his fans very well..I'm enjoying him answering questions lately, he has stopped in the thread on his message board at least once a week to answer questions and was in there everyday for the first week..were learning a lot about him..its fun.. He has included is in concerts, I personally got chosen to read my Christmas story onstage at one of his Christmas concerts..he banters a lot in concert..I'm happy with my fandom or I wouldn't be one..life is to short to be unhappy..

Just recently clay called a fan who was in the hospital who couldn't make it to a charity lunch with him..he works for UNICEF and children with special needs..there is a lot of good, people just don't hear about it
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3466707;
    Are all of these people who are angry at Clay over this reading the same blog you and I are SRS
    That sounds awfully like you're saying "If you don't agree with me, you're wrong".

I wish that people would go back and read it again with some objectivity and not in defense of their favorite, Adam.
    Maybe Clay fans should read the blog with objectivity too and not in defense of Clay.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan

Clay said, in the original blog:

I never saw Kris sing on the show, but whether he was good or not is really relative. It’s usually a matter of taste, right? But Idol is not always a matter of musical taste only. It’s about the person you like. From what little I saw, Kris seemed likable. (That’s not to say that Adam isn’t just as likable as anyone.. maybe more so… I don’t know)

Not even having watched the show, I can tell you that I was WELL aware of the bias from the judges as to who should win. In my opinion, that is awfully unattractive. I don’t think I am alone.

But, somewhere along the way, AI stopped being about real people and started being about “fame” and “gloss”; It stopped being about the talented kid-next-door and started being about who was most marketable.

This year it all came down to two contestants so extremely different and mis-matched…. one that was so obviously the “favorite”… so hyped and polished and “ready for market”; who (accurately or inaccurately) came off to many as arrogant and superior … and one kid who no one thought had a chance and (accurately or inaccurately) came off as humble and real.

I think many voters got sick of being “told who to vote for”. I think many were turned off by the blatant favoritism shown towards one contestant. Therefore, on that last night, they used their votes against a contestant that they were tired of hearing about and for the contestant who had been written off. And, at the same time, I think they voted AGAINST an American Idol that has, for four years now, been more about the slick productions and polished contestants than it has been about finding the raw talent that it did in its first three seasons.

Absolutely on the money, Clay. You never had to even watch one minute of AI to know who was supposed to win. It was on every news channel, every talk show, every online and hard copy magazine, every entertainment blog, every other show including Oprah, O'Reilly and CNN. You couldn't avoid hearing Simon, Randy, Ryan and Paula telling America who should win. There were clips of Adam singing and occasionally a glimpse of some random other contestant who clearly doesn't deserve to be in the race. Kris who? Yeah that. The hype for Adam was beyond ridiculous. The people in Comas in the hospital knew that Adam should win. The Nomads in the Sahara couldn't escape it. Clay is right and 99% of his blog was about AI but the outpouring of hate for Clay isn't about that. Its because he didn't like ROF. Well neither did a lot of other people who were a lot crueler than Clay but let's bash him and spread rumors and tabloid lies about him, call him ugly and gay, say he has no talent and should just shrivel up and die because he dared to not go along with the show's anointed one.

I like this newly sassy Clay. To heck with all that polite humble crap. Kick that pedestal away Clay. Rock on my man.

Oh, in case anyone cares, Daughtry didn't like Adam either and didn't mind saying so in an interview. Likewise Elliott didn't appreciate Kris and didn't mind telling an interviewer that he found Kris too bland. Let's all race over and bash those pissy diva's for awhile. Who do they think they are for exercising their freedom of speech!

I think ANY of the former contestants who voiced an opinion on any of the current contestants in the middle of this competition were WAY OUT OF LINE. Every one of the past contestants OWES THEIR CAREER to American Idol, and knows the difficulties of competing each week in front of America and the challenges that brings.

It is completely thoughtless and self-centered for ANY former contestant to say ANYTHING negative about a current competitor. Just keep your traphole shut about your kin. How hard is that?

American Idol should make all their contestants sign something that says if their ego gets so big they need to comment to the press about future contestants, then they forfeit all future earnings to 19E. That would shut them up. The ugliest thing in music is ego.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;3468695;
    The ugliest thing in music is ego.
    Tell that to Kanye West who is doing quite well for himself in spite of his attitude. The past Idols are Ghandi compared to many musicians and I won't take the time to list them.

I don't think past Idols owe the show any loyalty, particularly when the show has trashed them. Jennifer Hudson caught flak for not thanking AI when she won her Oscar, as she said at the time; "Should I also thank Burger King for my first job? Kelly got flak for the same thing when she won her Grammy. At what point do they reach emancipation from the bitchy monster that is AI?

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3468726;
    Jennifer Hudson caught flak for not thanking AI when she won her Oscar, as she said at the time; "Should I also thank Burger King for my first job?
    I like Jennifer but that is as asinine statement. Burger King wasn't responsible for giving her a stage to showcase her talents so she could end up being the mega star that she is.
    Remember, you have to dance with the one that brought you.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3467178;
    That sounds awfully like you're saying "If you don't agree with me, you're wrong".

Maybe Clay fans should read the blog with objectivity too and not in defense of Clay.

I didn't take the original post that way (what it says in bold). I have just run across some of this recent Clay info, and I have to say that I did not watch AI in its first years and am not Clay fan (don't dislike him either - basically indifferent) - I don't find what he said particularly inflammatory or offensive, although I am not a subscriber to his website and therefore have read what he said only secondhand. Just thought I'd jump in here and mention that because this post popped out and grabbed my attention!
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-26-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: clarification

To the Point

I didn't read it that way either, however, I'm also not vested as an Adam fan. While I think Clay should be much more careful in how he words things, and certainly should have tempered anything he said regarding any specific contestants, I think way to much is being made of what was said.

#1 Clay should not have been shooting his mouth off the way he did. He should know better, that everything in the media gets twisted around.

#2 He did apologize, clarify what he meant.

#3 It's up to the public, whether you are fans or not of Clay, to discern what is true or not. In other words you cannot believe everything you read or hear.

+ Reply to Thread