+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3465066;
    I believe there are two sides to every story...clay has a side too..I dont think things went down completely the way that they were said to..and even if they did, I'm a clay fan..but I don't believe he is perfect..I believe just like me he can be upset and have bad days and get angry..I guess thats what keeps me a fan..I havent seen the overly diva side that people seem to see in him, if I did I probably wouldnt be a fan either..music is subjective and believe it or not, I dont expect everyone to like him There are people I think are super arrogant that are also super popular..so apparently I dont agree with the general public lol its ok
    can i just say ditto?
    still a fan ... have been since day one.
    was just disappointed to hear he said that.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3465699;
    I think Clay is right to say that the judges (Simon) pushed Adam too hard. What I hate about Clay's comments, though, is that he implies Adam didn't deserve the praise. IMO he deserved every bit of it, even if it might have backfired.

Clay saw one performance by Adam, savaged it harshly and said nothing positive about him. Honestly, I think he is just jealous because Adam has a lot more star power (and a better voice) than Clay ever will. Also, Simon liked Adam....probably because he was not afraid to be himself.

How do you know that Clay saw ONE (and only one) of Adam's performances? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

I am of the opinion that if Ring Of Fire was the FIRST performance I'd heard, I wouldn't have wanted to go back for more.

Last time I checked, Clay was a HUMAN BEING. And as such, is entitled to make mistakes.

Perhaps he should have tempered his response so it didn't sound so negative towards one particular contestant.

But on the other hand, IF you are being fair and unbiased about it, Katy Perry shouldn't have worn her personalized cape in favor of just one contestant.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3466328;
    How do you know that Clay saw ONE (and only one) of Adam's performances? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

I am of the opinion that if Ring Of Fire was the FIRST performance I'd heard, I wouldn't have wanted to go back for more.

Last time I checked, Clay was a HUMAN BEING. And as such, is entitled to make mistakes.

Perhaps he should have tempered his response so it didn't sound so negative towards one particular contestant.

But on the other hand, IF you are being fair and unbiased about it, Katy Perry shouldn't have worn her personalized cape in favor of just one contestant.
    I totally agree, I just watched (well tried anyway) Lambert doing his version of Ring of Fire - ABSOLUTELY ROTTEN! Maybe Clay should have tempered his response, but frankly if he wasn't Clay Aiken, would his response have been blasted as much as it was? June Carter Cash wrote that song and I am grateful she wasn't alive to hear this heinous version.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

that performance ("ring of fire") is when i stood up and took notice at adam's talent.

but anyway ... back to clay ...

Clay said in his blog that he only saw one performance, so I guess he only saw one performance...unless of course he wasn't telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Maybe Clay should have tempered his response, but frankly if he wasn't Clay Aiken, would his response have been blasted as much as it was?
    I think anyone else would have received attention for posting such a negative review of another performer.
    Leann Rimes reaction to Carrie Underwood winning an award a while back, for which she was up against Faith Hill, got even more coverage.
    Last edited by fluff; 05-24-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Of course he is. But he is a celebrity and he should know that his statements will be scrutinized. If he is going to disrespect Adam, he needs to be prepared for a response from the public.

I'm just expressing my honest opinion about him.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3466408;
    Clay said in his blog that he only saw one performance, so I guess he only saw one performance...unless of course he wasn't telling the truth.

I think anyone else would have received attention for posting such a negative review of another performer.
    Leann Rimes reaction to Carrie Underwood winning an award a while back, for which she was up against Faith Hill, got even more coverage.
    I'd forgotten about that.

I don't like CA's needless bad-mouthing of Adam Lambert--surely Aiken himself would not have appreciated a critic panning him based on hearing only one performance--and I don't agree that AI has lately favored slick, polished performers. I think that Adam by nature is just a pretty slick, larger-than-life talent who met the audition requirements. I don't think his talent should be held against him. (And really, had any of you heard about him before he showed up on Idol?)

I do think that AI probably solicits what it thinks are one or two "ringers"--sure bets--and that it also picks mediocre, never-could-be-an-idol-in-a-million-years contestants, based on audience demographics. ("Let's pick this mediocre-voiced beautiful white chick, let's be sure to get a teen or two, gotta work on more diverse ethnicities", and so on.) In that sense, it's strayed away from being a singing talent competition in favor of just being a ratings machine.

I think that one reason AI seems to have more "polished" contestants, if you want to put it that way, is because they raised the age limit a few years ago from 25 to 29. Obviously you're more likely to have more seasoned talent when you're allowing older contestants. You want to bring AI back more in line with the first few seasons? Lower the limit back to 25.

Of course, had they not raised the age range after season 3, you would never have seen:

Danny Gokey
    Adam Lambert
    Chris Daughtry
    Melinda Doolittle
    Michael Johns
    Lakisha Jones
    Elliott Yamin
    Mandisa
    Taylor Hicks
    Bo Bice
    Constantine Maroulis

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3464796;
    The blog happened because clay was asked over and over what he thinks of Adam..he gave his answer on the one song that he had heard, and he clarified that he had only heard one song, he didn't say Adam was arrogant he said people may have perceived him so..have any of you actually read his blog or are you reading the chopped up version that is floating around the internet? He clarified that he only heard the one song..and ya know what? I had only heard the one song and had the same reaction to Adam before clay even said anything..clay has had nothing but great things to say about idol, even as recently as a few weeks ago..but he commented on how it has changed..and it has, many other people in blogs and articles have said the same thing..clay did not bash Adam, he commented on how he felt about one performance that he had heard because everyone was asking him what he thought..on the red carpet at the glaad awards, in the questions for clay section on his message board where he answers questions..did clay give up his right to have an opinion when he became a celebrity? Cause I'm sure I've heard other celebrities give their opinion on idol

Of course he knew that there would be fallout but clay has been mocked, made fun of, trashed and bashed ever since he stepped off the idol stage, I would give up holding my tongue too. Clay has never given his impression of a contestant, he has never bashed idol, he has always said he was happy of his time there..but people notice the one time he opens up..

I'm a clay fan because I like his music and I believe he is a good person, I completely appreciate his right to state his opinion even if he really doesn't like a person or musician that I like..he did not comment on Adam as a person, he had the same reaction to that performance that many other people did.
    You know SRS, I am completely shocked about people's overreaction to Clay's blog. He was 100% correct in what he said about the changes the show has made. He made one comment about one performance of Adam's (which was the same comments that MANY, including myself had said about the same performance) but was not saying anything disparaging about Adam himself. Are all of these people who are angry at Clay over this reading the same blog you and I are SRS I wish that people would go back and read it again with some objectivity and not in defense of their favorite, Adam.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Clay wrote a second blog clarifying that he was not making assumptions on Adam as a person, he was asked not just once, and on the red carpet what he thought of Adam so he answered but clarified that he had only seen that one performance..yes he is a celebrity and should know that his words get carried, but he is also a human, and not unable to make poor judgements..in clays second blog he also said that Adam is very talented or he wouldn't have made it as far as he did and that clays use of wording was negative and probably could be different..I don't know what else he can do.. He can't take back that he said it, and he made it clear he had only seen one performance..yet because of that comment people are calling him horrible names, saying he made sexual advances on Adam and was shot down..and other horrible things about him..I don't get it..but I guess I'm not meant to.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread