+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fan

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3407984;
    Looking for advice from fans. I don't have any of Clay's albums. I was thinking of getting one. What do you recommend?
    Buy 2. His best albums in my opinion are "On My Way Here" and "Merry Christmas With Love".

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3407909;
    There was also his EP "All Is Well" and his most recent album of originals, "On My Way Here"

That makes 5 albums of music to draw from. As a matter of fact one of the songs is from one of his pre-idol albums. The song "On The Wings Of Love" was on "Look What Love Has Done" volume 2.

However...he has had "cover songs"....he has had some hits, but not enough to fill a whole greatest hits album

Look at other artists that do greatest hits....they had many more original albums and more original hits....not so many covers and carols etc

People will of course buy it if they want, but most of the "fans" probably have all these songs on cd anyhow

What songs were "HITS" from his Pre-Idol album?? how were they "hits"?? He was unkown then
    Usually greatest "hits" means that.....songs that were on the charts from an artists/groups albums....so you get all the best "hit" songs minus album filler (often cover songs or throwaway songs)

Technically this wasn't greatest hits though..it was best of, which to me is putting what is thought to be his best music from each cd on one album..not the music that was played on the radio and charted..

Clay did fantastic on top model last night

Cd I would recommend, either on my way here his most current one..or the best of cd actually..you can get a taste of a little on each album and that can help you decide which one you may like the best.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3407984;
    Looking for advice from fans. I don't have any of Clay's albums. I was thinking of getting one. What do you recommend?
    His Christmas cd is wonderful, MCWL and his cd OMWH is best. MOAM was okay, good.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3408676;
    Clay did fantastic on top model last night
    That's exactly what I came to post. I'm probably biased since I love Clay but I think he was the best guest judge ever. He would make a wonderful permanent addition to the show. He could take over for Paulina or they could add him as a 5th judge. I didn't see the earlier seasons but didn't they have 5 judges before?

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3408676;
    Cd I would recommend, either on my way here his most current one..or the best of cd actually..you can get a taste of a little on each album and that can help you decide which one you may like the best.
    For someone who doesn't have his other CD's I would definitely agree that the best of might be a good choice. For me, I have all of his CD's and I like them all equally. There's not one song that I don't like, which is rare for me. My 2 favorite songs are on Measure of a Man though. Invisible and Touch are my favorites .
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

htp

stacerace, love your addy...love Peggy! And Hank is one of my favorite characters on any show, ever

But I digress...

if one was only buying one of Clay's album (for now) I would suggest the playlist. It provides a sampling of clays music from across his albums and the styles are different.

Measure of a Man -pop, not the best productions but alot of songs I enjoyed and this album connected with alot of people-his most "fun' album

Merry Christmas With Love- I collect holiday music and i never tire of his renditions of many of the songs

A Thousand Different Ways- alot of fans did not care for this album because it was mainly covers. i actually liked it very much, I do think it has a somewhat meloncholy tone...but some songs are real gems

On My Way Here- more uplifting, reflective in tone...clay's voice is especially superb here, I think it is gem and his best yet

however if i were a new fan and could get only one now, i would try the playlist to get started. i was surprised on how well the songs flowed from one to another despite coming from different albums each with their own tone. i typically do not like compilations from artists because i like albums to have a cohesive feel. But this one works. And the remastering seems to have made a difference (to my ears) for songs like Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

I wanted to comment on "On The Wings of Love" I believe it is included because it was sung on the AI Season 2 Love Songs album (I know that is not the right name but it was something like that). So glad to have it on the compilation. His voice is so effortless on this song.

The way I see it, this album completed Clay's relationship with RCA. I can understand how some see it as a cash grab and also question how someone with not alot of repetoire would have a 'best of." But for me it is a compilation of songs i have across albums and singles-but never in one place. I like hearing what was chosen and the order of it. And the remastering contributes to the songs being the same sound level.
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." E.B.White

A Thousand Different Ways- I really liked this cd, despite the cover songs, Clay's voice was wonderful on this cd, he really does sing very well. Sometimes when I think about it, it seems pretty amazing that someone who was on AI at 24 could sing that well. Wow!

On My Way Here- This cd shows a whole new side of Clay Aiken, he is versatile, sings with more feeling here.

The latest cd would be good for a casual fan of Clay's, someone that enjoys listening to him but wouldn't buy his cd's.

On The Wings of Love, was that on the flip side of BOTW, the single?

Just wanted to say that:

Clay voice is great in concert, it is fantastic, powerful, clear, strong, just wow. I hadn't seen him for years, 3 1/2, since 2004, went to his concert in 2007, I had forgotten how good he is, he blew me away, whew!
    Last edited by graycat11; 04-10-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3409787;
    Just wanted to say that:

Clay voice is great in concert, it is fantastic, powerful, clear, strong, just wow. I hadn't seen him for years, 3 1/2, since 2004, went to his concert in 2007, I had forgotten how good he is, he blew me away, whew!
    Being from Raleigh, I have of course been to a few Clay concerts. You're right -- the guy gives a fantastic concert performance. He's definitely not one of those singers who sounds great in recordings, but is "just OK" in concert.

FORT Fogey

Wow - I am overwhelmed with all the advice. I guess if you get Clay fans talking about which is the "best" album you have to expect a deluge of opinions!

I was puzzled about this Playlist album. I looked through iTunes and Amazon downloads I didn't see anything. Then I found it - it's an actual CD (remember those!) in a real plastic case and everything. I wonder why it's not available in MP3? I'm not used to having to WAIT for music anymore. I'll look around and find a store.

"Instant gratification takes too long." -- CARRIE FISHER

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady;3409849;
    Being from Raleigh, I have of course been to a few Clay concerts. You're right -- the guy gives a fantastic concert performance. He's definitely not one of those singers who sounds great in recordings, but is "just OK" in concert.
    I think he's more than "just OK" in concert. His cd's are good but his voice is so much better live, in person.

+ Reply to Thread