+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

  1. #1281
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,661

    Re: Clay Aiken

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo;3044630;
    Here's an honest question of all the Clay supporters out there. If, as you claim, RCA signed him to "hold him back", why haven't we heard a peep of Clay trying to get out of his recording contract? He's no longer tied to 19E for management, so it's not like his management is still under someone else's influence. So why hasn't he even tried, if RCA is mistreating him that badly?
    I'd just like to add a comment to this. I have read here many times that Clay's label is not supporting him & purposely tanking his career. I just don't understand what benefit any label would have in doing this to any artist. The label is in the business of making money, why would they sabotage that ability? This argument truly confuses me.

    And one further thought. I have also seen it suggested that the label is picking the wrong, radio unfriendly, singles so therefore he is getting no radio support. If you are truly a fan of Clay, isn't it a part of your duty to request the songs as much as possible & almost force feed the songs to the public. Not everyone is going to agree with the singles of their favorite artists, but you can't just say "It's the wrong song" & then drop all your support.

  2. #1282
    FORT Fanatic french dip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    48
    Posts
    537

    Re: Clay Aiken

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3046186;
    I'd just like to add a comment to this. I have read here many times that Clay's label is not supporting him & purposely tanking his career. I just don't understand what benefit any label would have in doing this to any artist. The label is in the business of making money, why would they sabotage that ability? This argument truly confuses me.

    And one further thought. I have also seen it suggested that the label is picking the wrong, radio unfriendly, singles so therefore he is getting no radio support. If you are truly a fan of Clay, isn't it a part of your duty to request the songs as much as possible & almost force feed the songs to the public. Not everyone is going to agree with the singles of their favorite artists, but you can't just say "It's the wrong song" & then drop all your support.
    Unfortunately for Clay, some of his uber-fans in the beginning went a little overboard with the requests...calling stations that weren't in their listening area and whatnot. They (the fans) were pissed off with the results of AI, thinking it was "fixed".
    Word travels in this industry, and they (the stations) didn't like being hounded like that. So he got a rep for having crazy fans, when in reality it was a small percentage. In other words, I think he got black-balled.

    I personally don't believe radio stations give a rat's patooty about what the listeners want to hear. They get their playlists from some corporate tool and that's what they play.
    Yes, I agree it is in the label's best interest to support their artist, but I also believe that Clay may have burned his bridges early on in that respect. I don't think they are purposely tanking his career, but I don't think they are actively supporting it...not like they did Alicia Keys or Leona Lewis.

    Clay's single was picked, IMO, because of the connection to Ryan Tedder, currently RCA's go-to guy. He's supposed to have the magic touch.
    It's a nice song, but I prefer Ryan's version to Clay's. If Clay had recorded it with a little edge to it like Ryan did his demo, then I'm sure it would have moved up the charts faster. There are a few other songs on the CD that would have made people say..."Is that really Clay?". Songs that take him out of the box that so many like to keep him in.

    As far as his previous CD, ATDW...it was a covers-mandated project, with a few originals on it. The first song picked was IMO the worst one on the CD. Made me scratch my head. Can't even remember the name of it, it left such a lasting impression.

  3. #1283
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197

    Re: Clay Aiken

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3045695;
    AllDone, I don't think education about the ins and outs of generic recording contracts is what Leo was looking for. Leo's question was

    You hear of recording artists trying to get out of their contracts all of the time, yet you don't hear about Clay Aiken trying to get out. Is it because his attempts don't get publicized, or is it because he hasn't tried because he's fine with his own contract (albeit not with the level of mainstream success he has achieved)?
    Clay gets no support from his label as it is. Would publicly calling his label names and complaining in the media help him? It didn't help Kelly Clarkson, that's for sure. She went from selling 6 million to flop. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Is she less talented now than she was in 2005/6 ?

    Prince had a public feud with his label a few years ago. He lost the rights to his music and his name. He couldn't do anything for years and his career died on the vine.

    There are many other examples. Clay would be even worse off than he is now, and this is bad. I think he'll just patiently play out his contract and move on when he's free.

  4. #1284
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197

    Re: Clay Aiken

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3046186;
    have also seen it suggested that the label is picking the wrong, radio unfriendly, singles so therefore he is getting no radio support. If you are truly a fan of Clay, isn't it a part of your duty to request the songs as much as possible & almost force feed the songs to the public. Not everyone is going to agree with the singles of their favorite artists, but you can't just say "It's the wrong song" & then drop all your support.
    The AI artists have a different deal than most of the non AI artists at Sony/BMG. They have the added burden that 19Recordings owns half of their contract and has a 50% say in how and what these Idols can do. There is, from what I've observed, a regular culling of the herd. There is also a very un-equal handling of their careers in every way. Some are supported like crazy while others are not. It isn't so much whether they win or not so much as whether they want to propel them to success or not.

    The first 4 years the winner got the support and the runner up got to make a nice souvenir album. The runners up got virtually no say in what went on the CD. Clay's high sales for his debut album were a shock and he wasn't dropped like Justin (and later Diana and Bo) because they couldn't justify it, besides, another label would have snapped him up in a heartbeat. His next CD was a Christmas album which was only on sale for 6 weeks and still sold over a million. The next one was covers, a surefire career killer for a young pop singer. With each new album his sales and his image went further and further away from what he is, what he could and should have had the opportunity to do.

    This time he got to record a CD he is proud of and it is the best he has ever done, but his image has been damaged so much that most people are quick to tell you that they don't like his music without having heard it. He still gets no radio support, no promotion and is now stuck with the gay/uncool/loser label that AI has ensured for him, its going to be a long hard climb to get back to where he belongs once his contract is up. Most people won't even give him a chance any more.
    Last edited by AllDone; 06-09-2008 at 11:36 PM.

  5. #1285
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197

    Re: Clay Aiken

    The constant hammering at Clay by the gossip media is unbelievable. The latest one I just saw today is typical of how they will say anything to get hits and to destroy his reputation. They have pretty much said everything they can to assassinate his good character, everything from attacking his charitable work to VH1's The Soup, which is now insinuating that he's a pedophile. I suppose drug addiction had to be next. At some point even those people who are not fans must be able to see what is going on and feel some compassion for him.

    The sad thing is that there isn't a damm thing he can do about it. If he responds to them, he isn't believed, is hiding something and is accused of protesting too much so it must be true. If he doesn't respond he is accused of it being true because he didn't respond. He can't fight back or win.

    celebrity city: clay aiken rumored to be addicted to heroin in beverly hills gay drama as it is unfolding; possibly arrested for meth amphetamines

    Any of the others could be victims of this treatment by the tabloid media. Don't think that because they are doing fine now that it can't or won't happen.

  6. #1286
    Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    6,351

    Re: Clay Aiken

    On the plus side, they mentioned all of Clay's accomplishments.

  7. #1287
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197

    Re: Clay Aiken

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3047484;
    On the plus side, they mentioned all of Clay's accomplishments.

    On the minus side, apart from being untrue, it will be picked up and repeated on hundreds of gossip blogs and other media because they now have a source. It will be reported " It has been reported that Clay Aiken was busted for heroin possession. He is known to frequent gay parties in Beverly Hills and....."

    And so it goes.

  8. #1288
    FORT Fogey graycat11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Clay Aiken

    The wilder the stories get, the more people (non fans) will see how stupid they are, the stories.


  9. #1289
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,868

    Re: Clay Aiken

    one thing I don't like is Clay's new do and colour, he needs to change it STAT

  10. #1290
    Leo
    Leo is offline
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,033

    Re: Clay Aiken

    The source is In Touch, whether that's good or bad, you decide.

    Celebrity news and entertainment from In Touch Weekly

    Clay Aiken wants even more kids

    It was shocking news that Clay Aiken was having one baby, but In Touch can reveal he wants another! The singer, 29, is expecting a child with his best friend, 50-year-old music producer Jaymes Foster, and they’re already planning to do it again. Clay and Jaymes used advanced IVF therapy to conceive, and the insider reports that they’ve already frozen eggs and sperm so they can have a second baby next year. “Jaymes is due in August, so she’d like to conceive again next March,” the insider says. “That way, she would give birth in December 2009.” The insider adds that Clay and Jaymes were hoping for twins so that they wouldn’t have to go through the intense procedure for a second time. “Clay and Jaymes are committed to having at least two children,” the insider says. “They’re both incredibly successful and wealthy, so money is certainly no object. And he just adores children. He is going to make a wonderful and caring father. There’s no doubt about that.” Clay is passionate about helping kids with developmental disabilities. “I think all of us have a higher purpose for what we are doing,” he says. “I’m just doing what I had always planned on doing — teaching and helping children.”

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.