+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

I don't know, Kelly's day in the sun might be over but for a while there she had many hits that were actually being played on the radio. I don't know if I've ever heard a Clay song being played on the radio, then again, I don't listen to adult contemporary or Christian music. I still think that if we sent Clay, Kelly and Carrie on a walk down the road more people would recognize Carrie and Kelly then Clay. Clay has a small group of fans. His fans are powerful and fanatic but Kelly and Carrie apply to a wider range of people. I have purchased Kelly and Carrie songs off Itunes, I can't say the same about Clay.

In reference to Clay always being referred to as the runner-up, well, he was. It was a memorable finale and he came in second, what's the big deal about calling him the runner-up. Anyone besides the winner and in Clay's case, the runner up, is just going to get a general AI reference in stories. I don't really see it being an issue. It's gossip magazines reporting a story and it doesn't seem to be important if they report what he has done seeing as how it's a story about him impregnating some lady.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3041423;
    So? What has she contributed besides album sales and awards for lots of album sales? Would she have all of those awards if her record label had not put millions behind her? Where would she be after 5 years of no radio or label support? What does she have without that? A couple of flings and an eating disorder. Otherwise, nothing.
    This is probably one of the most humorous lines of discussion that I have seen on this board.

Clay Aiken chose to distance himself immediately from AI so he would have absolutely NO right to complain about the inequality between the support given to him versus the support given to Carrie Underwood.

And there are a vast number of people that have received awards and achieved success without having the AI juggernaut. If the industry felt that Clay Aiken's discography was worthy of awards, he would have received them. Don't tear down Carrie just to make Clay look better. That's just silly.

And Unk... you forgot to mention that she just got inducted into the Grand Ole Opry, too.
    Last edited by Broadway; 06-06-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fan

He has received awards, many of them more meaningful than the music awards. It isn't the AI show that matters as far as support goes, its the record label. I think RCA signed Clay to hold him back. They make the decisions as to the type of album, the tracklist, the single and the budget for promo.

After selling 3 million of his first album, breaking dozens of sales records and an American Music Award plus 3 Billboard Awards, he was saddled with a Christmas album and a covers album with no singles, videos or radio push.

This is not a logical business move and was not Clay's choice. I can only conclude that RCA signed him to prevent another label getting him and continuing to overshadow the winners. RCA is in cahoots with AI and does what AI wants. They could not let Clay outsell and outshine the winners the way he outsold Kelly and Ruben. I hope that he is let out of his contract soon. He has a great future with a label that wants him to succeed rather than one that did everything in their power to only fulfill the absolute minimum of their part of the contract while holding him back from reaching his potential.
    Last edited by AllDone; 06-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.

There's no question - NONE - that Carrie Underwood is a huge, huge star, while Clay Aiken is not. The pregnancy thing has given him more publicity than he's gotten in years.

I'm not a fan of Clay's (though I did enjoy him on AI2), but I think he's extremely fortunate to be able to have a career in the performing arts. He owes that to AI, and I'm sure that he must be grateful for the opportunity. No doubt that without AI he would still be a teacher's aide or whatever he did to earn a living before the show. His fans should take comfort in the fact that while he's not and never will be a blockbuster success in the music industry, he appears to be able to make a comfortable living doing Broadway. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure most of the many thousands of AI hopefuls would be happy enough to do the same, if they seriously want to have a career in the entertainment industry.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I believe Clay has always credited AI with giving him the exposure, launching his career.

Has RCA held him back? Seems like it when there are not too many of his cds in stock at stores. Clay is promoting his cd. I think he is doing quite well, he's on Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel, GMA, The View and other television shows accross the USA
    Last edited by graycat11; 06-06-2008 at 01:04 PM.

I don't think it's fair to compare Carrie to Clay, they are both famous in their own right and they both owe it to AI.

Carrie is a great singer, she wouldn't have won all these awards if she didn't have the talent, no matter how much $$$ were spent on promoting her career. Because she's slim, watching her weight does not mean she has a eating disorder.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

When Clay's album came out, it was reviewed. When he did interviews to promote his album, the publications talked about his music. There is no need to mention his biography when they are writing a couple of paragraphs about his having a baby with his friend. The news is the fact that he and his friend conceived a child through artificial means--this is news because he is a celebrity and having babies in any way other than the old fashioned way is still new enough technology that it is interesting to a lot of people. It's not perjorative to refer to him as an AI runner up. He is, and from what I've heard from his interviews in the past, he's very proud of that fact. Mark Wahlberg is still referred to as Marky Mark sometimes, even though he's more than a decade past his "music" career and has a flourishing acting career. Paul McCartney -- who is known worldwide by face and name -- is still referenced as a Beatle in articles about him.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3042359;
    It's not perjorative to refer to him as an AI runner up. He is.
    By your logic Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera should still be introduced as Mousketeers. It is where they got their start. Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Gladys Knight and Rosie O'Donnel are all talent show losers. Elvis was told to go back to driving trucks for a living because he'd never make it as a singer.

Alanis Morrisette started out on an obscure kiddie show. Many many others were not successful on their first time out. Are they to be labeled by their humble beginnings or as losers forever more?

At what point can we expect a person with fame to be introduced by more recent, more relavent and higher profile accomplishments?

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3042585;
    At what point can we expect a person with fame to be introduced by more recent, more relavent and higher profile accomplishments?
    When the general public recognizes that person for his/her more recent, more relevant and higher profile and not for a talent show where he was a runner-up.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3042600;
    When the general public recognizes that person for his/her more recent, more relevant and higher profile and not for a talent show where he was a runner-up.

You are confusing bloggers and critics with the general public.

+ Reply to Thread