+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3035845;
    Not going to make any more comments about Clay's personal life. Whatever he decides to do, professionally or personally, I wll always support him, his career. Love him, his voice and his music.
    Graycat, I couldn't agree more. These are his decisions to make. We may not agree with them for whatever reason, but it is ultimately up to him. I wish him the best of luck and know he will be one fantastic father.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3037069;
    The problem, however, is not completely Clay's. I place 95% of the blame on his rabid fans who are so desperate that he live up to this personality that THEY have created for him that he cannot own up to who or what he is at this point or he risks destroying that very success that he has created. I really don't know what his fans would do at this point. Do you really see the majority being as accepting as Neil Patrick Harris' fans? I don't think so.
    Agree. The problem lies with the fans, some of them. I think many of us are very open minded but there a few that cannot think outside of what they expect. They have tunnel vision, are not open minded, from what I have read on the boards. This is how some of them represent themselves. I feel sorry for these folks, not Clay.

The story gets more ridiculous, more distorted, and more internally inconsistent as the entertainment gossip mags and tabloids keep piling on and embellishing it, based on "reports" from anonymous "sources close to" Clay or Jaymes or from someone who knows someone who knows Jaymes or her brother.
    The saddest part is that Clay has a really good new album out and none of the articles mentions that at all. They pretty much say he was AI runner-up (5 years ago) and leave it at that. No mention of his having done Spamalot, his being an RCA recording artist (much less a multi-platinum one), his work for UNICEF of BAF or anything else.
    In fact, reading most of these tabloid stories, you'd wonder why David Foster's sister and Clay are being written about so much in the first place.

But the more I read the inconsistencies, unsubtantiated details, and just plain errors the more I understand why Angelina Jolie recently railed about the entertainment media and how they pry and hound celebrities and just plain "make stuff up."

I don't think that when you write a story about someone as well known as Aiken, you have to do a complete biography every time. I mean ... do stories about Britney Spears all mention her discography, how high each song went on the charts, and what TV shows she's been in? Of course not.

No, but they don't identify her as a former Mouseketeer, either. Haven't done that for at least 10 years.

Britney and Angelina are such houselhold names that the media seldom bother "identifying" them even by terms such as "singer" or "actress," but for people at Clay's level of fame, they usually do identify them by terms like that. And they don't usually pick out something they did 5 years ago - something which is not the reason they're well known - as the identifier.

Clay may not have sold as many CDs or won awards like Carrie or Kelly, but he really is not known mainly because he was the runner-up in an AI season. First off, Clay was runner-up (statistically tied the winner) because he was popular with millions of AI viewers; he wasn't popular because he was runner-up. And being the runner-up on AI does not usually lead to a lot of fame or commercial success. Clay was the AI exception who outperformed the winner commercially, not the rule. An unbiased journalist would call him something like "American Idol star" or "singer and former American Idol finalist" or "RCA recording artist" or just plain "singer." But it is not at all unusual, when an entertainer has news about their personal life break at the same time their new CD or movie or TV show comes out, for the media to mention that. They do it a lot of the time.

And since Jaymes Foster was the executive producer for Clay's new album, it would be perfectly natural for these stories to mention that: e.g., "Jaymes Foster began working with Clay during his Christmas concert tour in 2005 and was the EP for his 2006 album "A Thousand Different Ways" as well as for the album "On My Way Here," which was released May 6, 2008."
    (Not all those details would need to be mentioned, but several articles have mentioned Jaymes being Clay's album producer. They just conveniently omit mentioning what it was she helped produce.)

Anyway, some people are suggesting that this story is some kind of publicity stunt or that we should somehow take it as a mark of the album's not being good when this "media attention" doesn't seem to be boosting sales. I'm just saying it's a pretty poor publicity stunt when the "story" takes the spotlight away from anything Clay has done or is doing professionally. And there is no way it could help boost CD sales noticeably when they are very hard to find in the stores or online and the media are not even mentioning the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD;3040880;
    Clay may not have sold as many CDs or won awards like Carrie or Kelly, but he really is not known mainly because he was the runner-up in an AI season.
    The thing is, no one would know Clay unless he had been on AI. It's absurd to think the media is not going to mention that he was on AI. All that other stuff you referenced, I had no idea about. When I hear stories about Clay, I automatically associate him with AI. That is what made him semi-famous and what most people associate him with. He has not hit complete stardom like Kelly or Carrie, therefore, he will always be referenced to his time on AI in media stories.

Carrie Underwood might well still be unknown if not for AI too but hardly anyone ever mentioned AI in connection with her name any more even 2 years after AI4. Still, nobody said AI should not be mentioned. It's the"runner-up" tag that seems to be used as a pejorative for Clay. (Does anyone say "Kellie Pickler, who came in 6th on AI" or "Chris Daughtry, who came in 4th ..." or even "Kim Locke, who came in 3rd?") I don't think you have to be a Grammy winner before the media can stop referencing where you first came to the public's attention years ago.
    The fact is, if some other contestant from an early AI season - e.g., Rickey Smith or Jim Verraros or Anthony Fedorov - was alleged to have helped a 50-year-old friend and colleague conceive at age 50, I don't think it would be all over the media (including Newsweek, of all places, by now). And if it were some other equally well-known recording artist in this situation (allegedly) and they had just released a new album, I'll bet at least some of the reports would mention the album.

When it was learned that Clay was to join the cast of Spamalot, there were quite a few articles about that, and there were quite a few while he was on Broadway too. The reviews were pretty positive, including glowing reports from Eric Idle and Mike Nichols and co-star Hannah Waddingham. (Clay and Hannah won the Broadway.com award for Favorite Replacement Cast Member.) Clay's picture was all over the buses in New York while he was in Spam. His last performance was May 4.
    It seems really strange that suddenly the entertainment media (that's pretty much who's covering this "story") are all abuzz with the story that Clay is going to be a dad, but there's not one mention that he just finished a run on Broadway or that he has a new album out. It would make a lot more sense to mention that he's an RCA recording artist than that he was on AI 5 years ago. If he had not been both successful (concerts tours, CD sales, UNICEF ambassador) and a fairly frequent guest on TV shows over those 5 years, nobody would care about his "sexuality" or his "impending fatherhood."

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3040902;
    He has not hit complete stardom like Kelly or Carrie, therefore, he will always be referenced to his time on AI in media stories.
    Carrie and Kelly, like Clay, have no career without having started on AI but I highly disagree with you about semi-stardom vs complete stardom.

Carrie - known for her robotic performances, dieting obsession and hooking up with various guys for short flings. What has she done that is noteworthy besides sell records and recently declining sales?

Kelly, last we heard she was on the AI6 finale promoting her flop album, wearing a floral tent and screaming some song about hating men. What has she done that is noteworthy besides sell records and that she pissed off Clive Davis, causing a sharp decline in sales and popularity?

Clay is a NYT best selling author, an acclaimed Broadway actor, a world wide UNICEF Ambassador and an advocate for children with disabilities through his own foundation. These are accomplishments that have more cachet than selling a few million albums, which he has also done, without radio or label support. Its a testament to his star power that he could do that plus win awards and his label did nothing to help.

This guy is such a star that he can't appear in public without causing a stir.

Kelly isn't in the rag newspapers because nobody cares and nobody wants to look at her, Carrie gets some attention but Clay's is off the chain. So Who's the complete Star? Yup, Clay.

You might argue that its because they make him out to be a freak, but they did, and still do that, to all of the biggest stars. He doesn't get drunk and drive, do drugs, get arrested, dance on tables at nightclubs, show up at every party or opening or serial date celebrities. All he did was make a baby with someone he loves.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3041393;
    Carrie - known for her robotic performances, dieting obsession and hooking up with various guys for short flings. What has she done that is noteworthy besides sell records and recently declining sales?
    I don't know. Maybe an award or two?

Awards

Teen Choice Awards Choice Reality Star - Female
    Billboard Music Awards Top-Selling Hot 100 Song of the Year: "Inside Your Heaven"
    Top-Selling Country Single: "Inside Your Heaven"
    Country Single Sales Artist of the Year

Gospel Music Association Awards Country Recorded Song of the Year: "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
    CMT Music Awards Female Video Of The Year: "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
    Breakthrough Video of the Year: "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
    Academy of Country Music Awards Top New Female Vocalist of the Year
    Single Record of the Year: "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
    NARP organization of record retail merchants Breakthrough Country Artist
    Music Row Critics Pick
    Country Music Association Awards Female Vocalist of the Year
    Horizon Award
    12th Annual Inspirational Country Music Awards Mainstream Country Artist of the Year
    American Music Awards Favorite New Breakthrough Artist
    Billboard Music Awards Female Country Artist of the Year
    Album of the Year
    Country Album of the Year
    Country New Artist of the Year
    Female Billboard 200 Album Artist of the Year

33rd People's Choice Awards Favorite Country Song: "Before He Cheats"
    Favorite Female Singer
    Grammy Awards Best New Artist
    Best Female Country Vocal Performance: "Jesus, Take The Wheel"
    Best Country Song: "Jesus, Take The Wheel"
    CMT Music Awards Video of the Year: "Before He Cheats"
    Female Video of the Year: "Before He Cheats"
    Academy of Country Music Awards Female Vocalist of the Year
    Album of The Year: "Some Hearts"
    Video of The Year: "Before He Cheats"
    Country Music Association Awards Female Vocalist of the Year
    Single Of The Year: "Before He Cheats"
    American Music Awards Favorite Country Female Artist
    Favorite Country Album: "Some Hearts"
    T-Mobile Text-In Award (Artist of the Year)

Grammy Awards Best Female Country Vocal Performance: "Before He Cheats"
    Best Country Song: "Before He Cheats"
    Academy of Country Music Awards Female Vocalist of the Year
    European Country Music Association Awards Female Vocalist of the Year

FORT Fan

So? What has she contributed besides album sales and awards for lots of album sales? Would she have all of those awards if her record label had not put millions behind her? Where would she be after 5 years of no radio or label support? What does she have without that? A couple of flings and an eating disorder. Otherwise, nothing.
    Last edited by AllDone; 06-06-2008 at 08:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread