+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

FORT Fan

Re: Clay Aiken

There are probably as many varieties of Christian as there are sects in Buddhism. Let's judge not.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD;3036806;
    No, it's not "almost impossible." But it is harder. That's why the term "she was artificially inseminated" is so misleading. It's far more likely that they collected Jaymes's own eggs and used in vitro fertilization as the conception method than that they "inseminated" her with donor sperm.
    Yes it is. There are several scientific reasons why collecting Jaymes's 50-year-old eggs wouldn't work--the primary being that even if the doctor was able to get enough follicles to pop for an eventual embryonic transfer, the chances of them being viable to withstand pregnancy is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE.

If you don't believe me, talk to a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) -- he or she will tell you the same thing. How do I know? Because I have undergone the procedure numerous times in our quest to have a baby. Just because I'd like for things to be true, it doesn't mean it is. The human body doesn't work that way.

I stand by what I originally stated: It is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE for a woman of 50 to produce a baby with her own eggs. At the age of 45, a woman has less than 5% chance of successfully getting pregnant via IVF (in vitro fertilization), which is why most REs recommend using donor eggs for women in their mid-40's on. By 50, it is next to impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3036920;
    Yes it is. There are several scientific reasons why collecting Jaymes's 50-year-old eggs wouldn't work--the primary being that even if the doctor was able to get enough follicles to pop for an eventual embryonic transfer, the chances of them being viable to withstand pregnancy is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE.

If you don't believe me, talk to a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) -- he or she will tell you the same thing.
    I have (read medical reports on the subject) and they do not say the same thing. What you say is probably true for most women, but there are huge individual differences. Some women can and do conceive with their own ova in their 50s.

Nevertheless, Jaymes probably did use in vitro fertilization. If the ova weren't her own, that's a certainty. So I wish the media would quit saying things like "she (Jaymes" was artificially inseminated," implying that she had no fertility issues and could have conceived thru intercourse but Clay was somehow inadequate or unwilling to become a dad that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD;3036813;
    It sounded like you were judging her actions from the standpoint of what a Christian would do. If I misunderstood, I misunderstood.
    You misunderstood. Her actions have not been at debate here... his have. This is Clay Aiken's thread.

Sort of sounds like you think nobody who's a known sinner can be a good Christian role model. I'd say that leaves pretty near all of us out.

And, BTW, Clay's Christianity is something he's very public about, but I've never heard him claim to be "traditional" (whatever that means).
    You're absolutely correct. I do not think that anyone that is deliberately not living a Christian lifestyle should hold themselves up to be a role model for Christianity. I do not believe Clay is a good Christian role model because I fully believe that he is living a lie. And no, I don't believe that someone that cannot own up to the truth can be a good Christian role model, traditional or not. Some people can't seem to understand the difference between living a Christian life and being a Christian. Yes, Clay Aiken may be a Christian and I completely believe that he is a fabulous role model for charitable giving and activities but until he is able to reconcile his reality with living a Christian life I do not think he can be a valid, healthy, nor helpful Christian role model. Therein lies the difference between CA and people like Vince Gill and Amy Grant. Again, note the difference. He can be a role model, just not a Christian role model.

The problem, however, is not completely Clay's. I place 95% of the blame on his rabid fans who are so desperate that he live up to this personality that THEY have created for him that he cannot own up to who or what he is at this point or he risks destroying that very success that he has created. I really don't know what his fans would do at this point. Do you really see the majority being as accepting as Neil Patrick Harris' fans? I don't think so.

And even taking any question of his sexuality out of it (because I know some people will see that statement and once again ignore the meaning behind my entire post), I find it very, very sad that Clay Aiken isn't able to be ... Clay Aiken. I feel sorry that he isn't able to just say "yes, I've chosen to help my best friend have a baby" because people would let it drop. My own belief aside, I feel sorry for him if he is gay because he feels that he has to hide an integral part of himself in order to live up to a persona. And, like NPH's example, Cynthia Nixon, T.R. Knight, etc... the public would let it drop.

I don't judge Clay Aiken. I don't think he's a horrible person. I feel sorry for him.. I truly do.
    Last edited by Broadway; 06-03-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fan

I don't judge Clay Aiken. I don't think he's a horrible person. I feel sorry for him.. I truly do.
    You are also taking an incredibly arrogant stand about something you can't possibly know unless you ARE Clay Aiken. You can't say he isn't being true to who he is unless you know who he truly is, which once again, you can't know. All you or I have to go on is what he has said and he said he is not gay, he later said he's sick and tired of not being believed so he won't answer any more.

All people are doing is speculating about Clay's private life and whether he is or is not being true to himself. I say that's for him to know.
    I wish more people could just accept that they usually don't know what goes on in other people's private lives, much less their hearts, even if those people are in the media spotlight.
    Whom you want to hold up as a role model, "Christian" or otherwise, is your personal choice.

Here is a pic of Clay with Jaymes in 2006:

And here's another pic of Clay with Jaymes, in the same year, I think. They were both involved in David Foster's Star Search gala in BC that fall.
    http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/wp-...oster-levy.jpg
    Last edited by Sandy in SD; 06-04-2008 at 01:45 AM.

FORT Fan

The Star Search event was held the night before the Gala. It was a fun thing they did to promote local talent in the Fosters' home area, British Columbia. David Foster, Clay, Babyface and Daisy Fuentes were the judges. Jaymes was there and was one of the event organizers. She came and sat with Clay when David got up from his seat for a few minutes.

The Gala was a swanky charity event to raise money for The David Foster and Friends charitable organization which provides funding and housing to families of children who are in hospital for organ transplants. Clay was one of the featured performers along with Babyface, Michael Buble and Olivia Newton John.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3035801;
    Just to be clear...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

No moral high ground here. Just an observation. I'm surprised you too haven't observed prominent Christian 'spokespersons' claiming the same thing. Or perhaps I've heard wrong when Christians argue against gay adoption.
    I'm a Christian and would never argue against gay adoption. I'd rather see a child in a loving 2 parent home whether the parents were gay or straight. I myself had considered adoption since I am 32 and single and have no prospects of getting married when I decided that it would be selfish to raise a child in a 1 parent home. I'm not knocking single parents before anyone gets too heated about it. It's one thing to be a single parent by circumstance. My mother was a single parent until she married my dad and would have been a good mother if she had not remarried and had more children. It's another to be a single parent by choice. That's why I chose to get a dog instead and pray to God that a husband would come along when he's supposed to. I'm still waiting God...

ETA: I just realized that might post might get understood. I mean that for me it seemed selfish to choose to be a single parent. I hope I don't insult any single parents that chose rather than it being thrust upon them. I mean for me, not anyone else. I can't judge that for someone else. I do think that a 2 parent home is ideal whether the parents are gay or not. Anyway...I just wanted to clear that up before I get any tomatoes thrown at me.
    Last edited by stacerace; 06-04-2008 at 03:43 AM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

No tomatoes from me, stacerace.

+ Reply to Thread