+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 180 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Crowd is Clay's in Idols show

By David Hiltbrand

Inquirer Staff Writer/Philadelphia Enquirer

American Idol alumni Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken have been taking turns headlining on their current tour. Tuesday at the Liacouras Center, it was Clarkson's night to top the bill, and that resulted in a topsy-turvy show because the predominantly female crowd was clearly composed of Clay devotees.

The ladies began to scream as Aiken emerged from the back of the hall, singing Mr. Mister's 1985 hit "Kyrie" as he walked through the audience. And they continued to scream all the way through his final number and latest single, "The Way."

Whatever X factor makes an Idol an idol, Aiken obviously has it - this despite the fact that he's a one-man Andy of Mayberry reunion: He looks like Opie, moves like Barney Fife, and sings like Gomer Pyle.

He certainly didn't bother dressing for the show. In an untucked blue dress shirt, baggy gray slacks, and running shoes, he appeared to be headed for a shift at Kinko's.

As always, Aiken's clear and limber voice was impressive. The best showcase for his soaring instrument was the simplest: an acoustic medley of his "Measure of a Man," Sting's "Fields of Gold," Leo Sayer's "When I Need You," and James Taylor's "Carolina on My Mind."

Unfortunately, he had to wade through the sappy songs on his debut CD to get there. With the exception of "Invisible," the anthemic material sounded like flea-bitten Three Dog Night.

The high and low points of Aiken's set was Prince's "When Doves Cry." His slow, melismatic, a cappella preface to the song was sensational. Then the music began to jerk and throb, and it became painfully clear that Aiken doing funk is like Yanni attempting Metallica. It's just wrong.

Clarkson proved to be the more engaging and natural performer, though her reception was not nearly as enthusiastic. Like Aiken, she has a phenomenal voice, but there is greater passion and depth to her delivery.

On a stage covered with area rugs, so she could scamper barefoot, Clarkson moved a bit too hastily through songs that ranged from nostalgic ("Stuff Like That There") to soulful ("What's Up Lonely").

Her voice combines the earthiness of Bonnie Raitt with the dynamic coloratura of Christina Aguilera. But she possesses an extra gear that most singers don't: Like fellow Texan Janis Joplin, she's an elemental belter.

Until she learns to harness that power, Clarkson risks overwhelming her material, as she did on a cover of Reba McEntire's "Why Haven't I Heard From You." But she's capable of bravura moments, such as her stark and stunning rendition of "Beautiful Disaster."

Since her season on American Idol, Clarkson has grown into her voice so much that she has trouble doing a convincing rendering of paint-by-numbers pop ditties like her first single, "A Moment Like This."

Maybe she should turn it over to Aiken. In his hands, it would be a showstopper.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Clay was on the View this morning. He sang The Way. His voice sounded a bit strained in places, but a very good performance. He looked adorable. He had a light blue sweater over a black button down shirt. (i think) He had said something about doing childrens books on tape for 3 charities. What a guy, he keeps thinking about others while he is so busy. Makes me proud to be a fan of his.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Combatcutie, I saw The View this morning, too. I'm actually a little worried about his hoarseness. I'm hoping that it's just a temporary cold and not vocal strain.

As far as the matter of Clay's biological father, I think this is definitely a matter between Clay and his family. I thought ET gave a relatively fair, non-judgemental view, but there were some internet news articles yesterday that tried to put a negative slant on the story. Clay has certainly shown himself to be a very intelligent, reasonable, caring person, so I'm sure he has his reasons for not attending the funeral. Like you said, fluff, I'm sure he didn't take his decision lightly.
    Last edited by clay crazy; 03-04-2004 at 06:56 PM.

I've read reports that Clay did see a doctor today. I'm really glad. I think he also mentioned at his concert tonight that his throat had been sore.

I'm glad he went to see a doctor. He needs to take care of himself and get some much needed rest. Actually Kelly should be doing the same thing. They have a lot more venues to go to and I'm sure they will want to be their best for each and every one of them.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Re: Clay's father's funeral--It's possible that he wanted to go very much but that he didn't want the media attention it would bring for himself or his Grissom relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    Re: Clay's father's funeral--It's possible that he wanted to go very much but that he didn't want the media attention it would bring for himself or his Grissom relatives.

That's a good point overthetop. I didn't even think of that. I'm sure for whatever reason he didn't go, it wasn't an easy decision for him

AIKEN NOT FAKIN': HE'S THE REAL DEAL

By DAN AQUILANTE/New York Post/Review of Long Island, NY Show
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    March 6, 2004 -- A POST reader - a devoted "American Idol" fan - has been calling me a jerk for months.
    All because I said the debut album by runner-up Clay Aiken was a limp, sappy, mealy-mouthed exercise in bombast by a crooner whose only hope was the hype garnered as he was force-fed to America.

In other words, the album was a stinker.

She will be elated to learn that at the Nassau Coliseum Thursday night, Aiken, on a double bill with his "Idol" cohort Kelly Clarkson, played a concert that was startlingly good.

There's never been a question whether or not Aiken can sing. What this concert showed was that, when placed under the lights on a concert stage, the lanky Southerner is an entertainer.

Wearing jeans, a rugby shirt and a sports coat, Aiken was completely unpretentious.

His aw-shucks, between-song banter was natural and the program had a wide reach - from Sting's "Fields of Gold" to his own "Invisible."

While his album was a geezer-pleaser, the stage show's program was more well-rounded, catering to an intergenerational house packed with kids.

Take Aiken's concert version of "Perfect Day." In the live rendering, the singer infused the song with unexpected grit and power that was completely missing from the bland, milquetoast studio take.

Aiken complained that he's been suffering from a sore throat, but there was no evidence of it during the show.

Still, the show was far from perfect: The bass and drums were cranked way too high, and the bottom beats overpowered at times, especially in the latter half of his set.

Aiken used his hit-the-back-wall superpower sparingly, but he couldn't help but inject a full measure of ballad bombast and histrionics into his power ballad "I Survived You."

Still, he didn't rely on those tricks to melt the crowd and unglue them from their seats. Instead, the show's real signature was tunes with upbeat tempos delivered by Aiken's rock band, which was propulsive in its attack.

Where Aiken did wow with slower material was when he stripped the instrumentation down to classical guitar, piano and voice arrangements. That was how he set up an unusual cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry" and James Taylor's pretty country/rock ballad "In My Mind I'm Going To Carolina."

Kelly Clarkson, who won the "American Idol" talent show in its debut year, opened the concert, but she was only OK during her hour-long set.

Clarkson's set depended on too may pop ballads fueled with vocal runs and acrobatics. The crowd lent her strong applause to "Beautiful Disaster," "Some Kind Of Miracle" and "Anytime," but the lack of variety was snore-inducing.

She did get the crowd out of the seats when she asked them to do so, but they were soon sitting again. The rule in rock is: If ya gotta ask, it doesn't count.

Where she did hit all the right buttons with the house was on the fast-break number "What's Up Lonely" and her big hit "Thankful."

The latter was her final tune in her set, and for it she made a quick costume change into a T-shirt that said "Clay Rocks" across her chest.

Who would have thought a T-shirt and TV show could be so right?

Singer Clay Aiken uses his magical voice for a personal mission
    This is an article about Clay reading to some children and being the spokesperson of a project called "Stories for Heroes".

An 'Idol' with aw-shucks appeal
    This is an article where Clay discusses how he's dealing with fame. The following quote explains a lot about Clay's work ethic.

I once worked for three months to get a child to be able to read a word. You don't get anyone clapping for you when you do that. You work hard.

Just letting all the Claymates on the board know that he will be performing on AI3 on Wednesday March 17th. Heard through the grapevine that he will be performing Solitaire Don't know if its true or not, but let's keep our fingers crossed.

+ Reply to Thread