+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Re: Clay Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3028208;
    I think she meant that he didn`t sing on Idol the way many others have this year. The AI audience has not heard a single note of any of the songs on the album. They did see the cover for a split second though.
    Yes. I barely noticed the mention of the album in the Broadway videotaped segment, and I was already aware it was being released soon.
    AI has had not only past winners (Carrie, Ruben, Fantasia), but other runners-up (Bo Bice, Kat McPhee) and lower-finishing alums (Kim Locke, Elliot Yamin, Kellie Pickler) on the show to perform and plug their albums, but Clay has never once been allowed to sing anything from any of his albums on the show, and since May 2006 he has not appeared on the show, live or otherwise, except for the taped Broadway section.
    American Idol reaches millions of people in prime time - a largely different audience than is reached by QVC or GMA or The View - and getting to plug your album on that show can do a lot for sales.
    I don't think it's any surprise that, while MOAM (coming on the heels of Clay's huge popularity and near-win on AI2 and having the 19/RMG folks helping promote it as part of the "continuing competition" with Ruben) sold ovr 613k its first week (in October 2003) and sold roughly 3 million copies within a year. It's also no surprise that the Christmas album MCWL debuted at #4 (in Nov/Dec 2004) with higher sales than the 3rd (the mandated covers album ATDW) had when it debuted (in Sept 2006) at #2, and that MCWL sold 1.1 million copies its first 6 weeks and continued to sell over 100k each of the following 2 years, despite not being promoted or widely distrubuted after Dec. 1, 2004.
    OMWH sold only about 100 units less than the #3 album the week it debuted (May 2008), and it's Clay's 4th consecutive top 5 debut (a rare accomplishment). But overall sales are down this year and this time of year, plus it seems really not to be widely known that Clay has a new album out.
    RCA didn't seem to ship a lot of copies. The stores I've seen had only a few on the shelves, even the week after it debute in the top 5.

Supposedly RCA is pushing the title track to AC radio, but we'll see how that goes. I think there are other tracks that would have been embraced more readily by Hot AC and other kinds of stations.

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug123;3028129;
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellender;3027581;
    Clay hasn't had any help (publicity) from AI for this album and he's hardly had any TV appearances for promo.
    Clay plugged it on the broadway segment that aired on idol results night and in his recent interview on ai.com. The site mentioned the album too in the news section.
    Websites don't reach the same breadth of audience that prime time TV does.
    Even the majority of AI viewers probably don't visit the AI site, even if they have internet access - which a lot of people don't.
    I would add that QVC is a cable channel and a lot of people don't have cable either.
    Prime time network TV reaches a lot more people than daytime or cable TV does.

I hope this is okay to report but on the TMZ website it is reporting that Clay is going to be a dad.
    "Since no one can ever know for certain whether or not his own view of life is the correct one, it is absolutely impossible for him to know if someone else's is the wrong one." -Gore Vidal

Quote Originally Posted by pintobean;3028721;
    I hope this is okay to report but on the TMZ website it is reporting that Clay is going to be a dad.
    What?????!!!!!
    He's probably bought a puppy.

OK, I went to have a look and, I'm not surprised that it's via atificial insemination.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3028732;
    What?????!!!!!
    He's probably bought a puppy.
    Go to the website and read about it. I'm not sure who their sources are so I'm not exactly positive if the story is true.
    "Since no one can ever know for certain whether or not his own view of life is the correct one, it is absolutely impossible for him to know if someone else's is the wrong one." -Gore Vidal

Quote Originally Posted by Ellender;3028373;
    Yes. I barely noticed the mention of the album in the Broadway videotaped segment, and I was already aware it was being released soon.
    AI has had not only past winners (Carrie, Ruben, Fantasia), but other runners-up (Bo Bice, Kat McPhee) and lower-finishing alums (Kim Locke, Elliot Yamin, Kellie Pickler) on the show to perform and plug their albums, but Clay has never once been allowed to sing anything from any of his albums on the show, and since May 2006 he has not appeared on the show, live or otherwise, except for the taped Broadway section.
    American Idol reaches millions of people in prime time - a largely different audience than is reached by QVC or GMA or The View - and getting to plug your album on that show can do a lot for sales.
    I don't think it's any surprise that, while MOAM (coming on the heels of Clay's huge popularity and near-win on AI2 and having the 19/RMG folks helping promote it as part of the "continuing competition" with Ruben) sold ovr 613k its first week (in October 2003) and sold roughly 3 million copies within a year. It's also no surprise that the Christmas album MCWL debuted at #4 (in Nov/Dec 2004) with higher sales than the 3rd (the mandated covers album ATDW) had when it debuted (in Sept 2006) at #2, and that MCWL sold 1.1 million copies its first 6 weeks and continued to sell over 100k each of the following 2 years, despite not being promoted or widely distrubuted after Dec. 1, 2004.
    OMWH sold only about 100 units less than the #3 album the week it debuted (May 2008), and it's Clay's 4th consecutive top 5 debut (a rare accomplishment). But overall sales are down this year and this time of year, plus it seems really not to be widely known that Clay has a new album out.
    RCA didn't seem to ship a lot of copies. The stores I've seen had only a few on the shelves, even the week after it debute in the top 5.

Supposedly RCA is pushing the title track to AC radio, but we'll see how that goes. I think there are other tracks that would have been embraced more readily by Hot AC and other kinds of stations.
    Don't forget that Clay was at the forefront of the "dump 19 management as soon as possible" movement. Which also eventually included Kelly Clarkson. Perhaps his non appearances on Idol have something to do with the fact that he decided to place his future in the hands of another management firm at his earliest moment. It could be that 19 feels no obligation to him, just as he has shown no loyalty to them. Politics can be a brutal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pintobean;3028736;
    Go to the website and read about it. I'm not sure who their sources are so I'm not exactly positive if the story is true.
    I've noticed that many TMZ stories have a nugget of truth to them, so it might well be the same in this case.
    This is one of those stories where it's either true or not.

Due to the future mother's age it's probably unlikely she'd get pregnant unless by artificial insemination, which is what I was referring to when I said I'm not surprised that it was via that method, if true at all.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3028785;
    I've noticed that many TMZ stories have a nugget of truth to them, so it might well be the same in this case.
    This is one of those stories where it's either true or not.

Due to the future mother's age it's probably unlikely she'd get pregnant unless by artificial insemination, which is what I was referring to when I said I'm not surprised that it was via that method, if true at all.
    My question is if she did want to have a child with him and knew because of her age that she would have to be artificial inseminated? Or were they and still are sexually active, wanted a child and couldn't seem to get pregnant and had to go the artificial way? Is Clay romantically involved with this woman or just the sperm donor? That's what I'm wondering.

She's his producer or a producer at least. Maybe she wanted a child with musical talent and asked him for help. But there have been successful relationships with larger age spreads. It just seems like if they were a couple the world would have heard about that before TMZ caught wind of "Clay impregnates older woman he stays with in LA."
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3028732;
    I'm not surprised that it's via artificial insemination.
    My thoughts exactly.

+ Reply to Thread