+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

Im so impressed with the album...Clays new producer is phenomonal and he finally managed to do what other producers havent managed to do, captured what we hear, when we see Clay in concert..The pacing of the songs is great, there is a good mix of upbeat, ballads, jazzy, a little R&B...Im really impressed..he went above and beyond even MY expectations.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Got my CD's in the mail today! Sending one to my mom... but I'm wondering, is there something really wrong in the universe if you and your mom like the same music?!?

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2970064;
    Got my CD's in the mail today! Sending one to my mom... but I'm wondering, is there something really wrong in the universe if you and your mom like the same music?!?
    my daughter (23) and i both like clay too.

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Clay ended his run as Sir Robin The ChickenHeart in Spamalot. The crowds were huge and wildly enthusiastic, and the whole cast reportedly snarked up the whole play last night for Clay (if you can imagine spoofing Spamalot beyond its normal shtick ). Sounds like it was a wonderful sendoff after a great 15 weeks.

Re: Clay Aiken - Review of "On My Way Here" - Newsday

Nice review of Clay's new album from Newsday. Some reviews sound like the writers haven't actually listened to the albums they're commenting on, but this one sounds like Gamboa actually has.

Here are a few clips. Click the link to read the rest.

newsday.com/entertainment/music/ny-ettop5674439may06,0,3082684.co lumn

Newsday.com
    Music review: Clay Aiken's 'On My Way Here'
    Glenn Gamboa
    May 6, 2008

He is at his best when he wraps his big voice around big ballads, usually ones with big messages attached. He maximizes the drama on "As Long as We're Here" to poignant effect, with booming phrases that would make Celine Dion proud, followed by vulnerable questioning that emo leading men would secretly admire. He undersells "Something About Us" like it was a classic Johnny Mathis ballad and fills "The Real Me" with a quavering uncertainty that makes it work.

Aiken turns the title track, written by the omnipresent Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic, into one of those ballads that could have been written anytime in the past 30 years or, probably, in the next 30. ...

As much as his record company would want him to be, Aiken isn't a crossover pop star. He's a male Celine Dion, a nerdier Michael Bublé, a new-millennium Barry Manilow, and there's nothing wrong with that. The sooner he embraces that, the better his albums will sound. With "On the Way Here," he's not quite there.

Contact Glenn Gamboa at 631-843-3434.

ON MY WAY HERE. Clay Aiken starts a new, less "Idol"-ish journey. In stores today. Grade: B-.

Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.

I don't share his opinion of what Clay's "best" sound is and I'd give the album at least a B or B+. I really love the more pop-rock and r & b sounding cuts on the album - as much as or more than the slow ballads. And I don't think Clay's style is much like Michael Buble's at all. But it comes down to a matter of taste, I think. This is a pretty fair review.

FORT Newbie

i adore how natural and pure his voice is!

FORT Fan

He's a male Celine Dion, a nerdier Michael Bublé, a new-millennium Barry Manilow, and there's nothing wrong with that. The sooner he embraces that, the better his albums will sound.
    Some day they will get past trying to convince people that he's just like somebody else, except not. He's the first Clay Aiken and the sooner they realize that the better his albums will sound, although what shoving a person into a box that doesn't match him has to do with how he sounds, I'll never know.

If you have not seen this, go the the ABC website and type Clay Aiken in the search box. On the next page click on more video results and then about 4 down, Clay Aiken sings new song. It is Ashes and it is really good. (He was on GMA this morning but unfortunately they didn't have the time to show this performance on air.)

Several columnists who have reviewed the album have singled out "Ashes" as one of the best cuts, even if they didn't love the whole album. I think it is too.

FORT Fan

Clay Aiken - On My Way Here
    Genre: Adult Contemporary/Pop Rock

Rating: 4.85/5
    Review By: Tony

It has been a while since Clay Aiken has graced the music world with a full blown studio album. 5 years after "Measure Of A Man", Clay showcases his growth as a musician as well as a person. From the catchy "Ashes" to the inspiring "As Long As Were Here", Aiken shares his diversity like no current musician. After every Clay release I find myself wondering what could he possibly do next to showcase his talent? Of course only he knows what is to come up next.... But with On My Way Here, he has hit another homerun. There's a great pallet of songs to choose from. There are of course the Clay Aiken pop rock tunes that music fans all know him for, then there are tunes that will shock even the most faithful "CA" fan. If you are only a fan of his pop rock material then chances are you will be giving this disc a lower rating then myself simply because of that reason. But if you like a broad range of material that covers different musical genres then it is a no brainer that you will appreciate this release. The one song that I feel will shock many "Everything I Don't Need", because it is "CA" outside the box. Clearly going the extra mile to try something different and frankly I think it worked out perfectly. Overall Clay has done the impossible again, releasing a disc that has something for everyone. If you liked his previous releases it only makes sense to continue the trend and pick this one up. If you didn't like his past works.... I say give this one a try, listen to some audio clips via iTunes or other legal websites. A fun filled adventure from start to finish in the way only "CA" can do it.

> Good - New material, vocal arrangements and the right direction. Clay Aiken has a viewpoint in today's music world that most artists simply do not.

> Bad - Some music lovers may shy away from this release because it isn't all pop rock material.

> Similar - Steve Perry, Barry Manilow.

> Label - RCA

Best Tracks: On My Way Here, Ashes, Everything I Don't Need, Falling, Where I Draw The Line, The Real Me, Weight Of The World, As Long As Were Here, Grace Of God, Lover All Alone.
    Artist Link: ClayOnline - Home

Shipwreck Island Studios.com - Album Reviews 2008

+ Reply to Thread