+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Clay Aiken

Re: Clay Aiken

Have to admit that the dark brown hair covering his eyes, Season 5 Finale, was a little weird. He admitted that was just for publicity. I don't think Clay's creepy at all nor has he gone downhill, quite the complete opposite. He's like a chameleon, changing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2956843;
    Apologies for that. I should've clarified which AI finale. I enjoyed him in his season's finale. I thought he had great pop potential at that point.

Where he got creepy was 2 years ago at the finale when he came out on stage looking like he just jumped out from behind the bushes.

Again, just my opinion. He's not my cup of tea and when I see something about him that grates me I'm going to post in here like everyone else.
    Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, AI5 was a brilliant move on his part. The machine had no idea, his performance was stellar and his appearance was water cooler talk for days. From what I could tell, the vast majority were in favor of the new look and applauding him for pulling it off. As for the QVC appearance, this is becoming a marketing tool for many major artists. It seems strange for many of us, but the way that albums are promoted is changing. He isn't the first, and he certainly will not be the last. The studio apparently was quite small which restricted movement and the sound left a lot to be desired, but Clay did a very, very good job with his new material and sold a boat load of albums.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I liked the appearance of Clay at the AI5 finale but the ultimate (to me) for that finale was PRINCE!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2957898;
    I liked the appearance of Clay at the AI5 finale but the ultimate (to me) for that finale was PRINCE!
    Agree. Prince was really good.

Here is part of a SF Chronicle article today, a new interview with Clay. Click the link to read the whole thing.

POP QUIZ: Clay Aiken

Aidin Vaziri
    Friday, May 2, 2008

... [T]he 29-year-old North Carolina native ... sells millions of records, stars in a major Broadway show, gets to sell stuff on QVC, runs a foundation for children with disabilities and inspires fans to make homemade T-shirts that read "Clay shakes my ovaries a thousand different ways." This week, Aiken releases "On My Way Here," his first album of original material since his 2003 double-platinum debut, "Measure of a Man." We spoke to him by phone from New York a few days before he wrapped up his five-month stint in the Tony award-winning musical comedy "Spamalot."

Q: You look so different from how you looked five years ago. Have all the makeovers made you better?

A: I don't think the external stuff has changed me. I'm still about as self-confident as a skunk.

Q: That much?

A: Yeah. I think, in general, doing this job, I've changed in some ways. I'm a little more business savvy. I don't take crap as much as I used to.

Q: Does this album feel like your real second album, even though it's you're fourth?

A: In a way, it kind of does. Obviously, it's the second album that we've done with original stuff. I've always said the first album was fitting a square peg into a round hole. The songs were picked before they even knew it was going to be me. Now we're putting the square peg in the square hole. I'm definitely square, that's for sure. But at least it fits.

Q: With all the stuff you're doing, are you worried your body is going to give out at some point?

A: I think it already has, are you kidding me? Have you seen the "Spamalot" show? It's killing me. During rehearsals for the show, I really thought I was going to die. There were a few days I would come home to my apartment and lie on the cold floor for like an hour, just because I needed to rest. I've proved to myself that I can do a little more than I thought I could. The truth is that if I were sitting around doing nothing, I would be really miserable. So I don't have any problem working. I would rather work than not.

To hear Clay Aiken's music, go to MySpace.com - Clay Aiken - Raleigh, North Carolina - Pop - www.myspace.com/clayaiken.

E-mail Aidin Vaziri at avaziri@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page N - 48 of the San Francisco Chronicle

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

A: I don't think the external stuff has changed me. I'm still about as self-confident as a skunk.
    gotta love his sense of humor! i hope that never changes.

Wish Clay wouldn't say he wasn't confident, he should be by now, he has more life experience.

Clay's new album has been leaked (what else is new?). I already preordered mine, and I've also heard the leaked songs. I'm really excited about it, especially "Ashes" and "Falling," but I like all the songs except for a couple (e.g, "Something About Us") which I'm kind of lukewarm about (partly because Clay does some of unattractive voice forcing in one or two places). But this is by far his best album (except maybe the EP "All Is Well"). I think there are several cuts that should get air play, even if only on AC or Hot AC or maybe CCM stations, if RCA does their job.

We shall see. Two or three of the "reviewers" so far seem to have approached the album with preconceived biases against Clay, against "ballads," against "Idol" alumni, against straightforward (non-cryptic) lyrics or some combination of the above. But I guess one good thing about "leaks" is that they allow people to hear the songs and judge for themselves, even if radio doesn't play them.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

New article about Clay and the new CD, from his hometown paper. Here's the link:
    Aiken is on his way to new CD

Matt Ehlers' article says: "Since the beginning of the year, the former "American Idol" contestant, pop hitmaker and Broadway star has spent exactly one night in his own bed. It was a couple of weeks ago, when he flew down from New York on his day off, just to see home for one evening.
    So after he finishes promotional duties for his new album, "On My Way Here," which comes out Tuesday, Aiken, 29, plans to spend the summer in the Triangle. Touring will have to wait."

and

"The last few months have been extremely busy for Aiken, as he just finished a 15-week run in the role of Sir Robin in Broadway's "Spamalot." He spent his days in the studio working on the album and his evenings at the theater.
    "On My Way Here" is Aiken's first album of original material since 2003's "Measure of a Man." It's also the first album in which his label, RCA, gave him control over which songs to sing.
    "Measure," which included the hit 'Invisible,' featured poppy songs intended for top-40 radio. This time around, the self-described 'Barry Manilow II' chose songs he felt were a better fit. The title track is a mellow yet contemporary song that would fit the play-lists of stations such as WRAL-FM.
    The album features eclectic sounds, he said, from pop to a bit of R&B, as well as a couple of songs with big string parts, which he called 'almost orchestral.'"

and more

AOL has the full CD available for streaming. It's pretty darn good!

+ Reply to Thread