+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben Studdard Part VII

Ruben Studdard Part VII

Carry on...

To continue the discussion from the end of the Ruben Part VI thread, here is the post from neese28:

Quote Originally Posted by neese28
    Rolling Stone only gave Ruben a one-star rating for his CD, stating the 'likeable singer' was given subpar material. Do you thinking Rolling Stone is just hard on all the idols (despite both Ruben and Clay being on covers) like much of the industry or do u think he is just given average material? I like Ruben but I haven't heard the album yet. I really liked Clay and bought the CD and while I liked some songs and he's such a great vocal talent, I thought some of the lyrics were rather asinine. I know people are just trying to make $$ off of them - I'm okay with taht :-) - but don't they realize if they would invest just a little more time/effort that the payoffs would be huge? What do ya'll think?

I think a one star rating is a little harsh personally, but in all honesty that is pretty much what I'd expect from a publication like Rolling Stone when they rate a cd from an "Idol".
    I don't think the whole concept of the competition sits too well with the muso's.
    You might find an individual willing to be a little mroe open when it comes to the show though.
    Fred Bronson, who I believe writes for Billboard, appears to have a major thing for Clay, placing his album as (if I remember correctly) the third best of the year, a rating I personally consider laughable, but hey, that's his opinion.

I think the record companies obviously want to cash in on the success of the show and that leads them to almost rush to release the albums.

I enjoy Ruben's album and consider it worth the money I spent on it.
    I tihnk the sings could have been better, but I enjoy his vocal performance on them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Rewriting what I had said, since Lo moved the board while I was doing it and I lost my post. Rolling Stone is basically a rock oriented mag and so are their writers and critics. If a rock CD gets less than 4 stars it has to be horrible and an R&B CD has to be amazing to get 4. It's just another person's opinion, and it's not going to change mine or change that 872,500 copies already sold before they put the rating out. RS probably would have rather not had either Clay or Ruben on their cover, but as Fluff says, they're big business/moneymakers for them, whether they respect their talent or not, and they don't imo. Is Ruben's CD perfect? Nothing in life is, but I don't hear many Ruben fans saying they're disappointed in it, the way Clay fans did about his and he got 2 stars.
    Sing & dance the night away!

The fact that RS gave Ruben 1 is not particularly relevant for me, since most of the newspaper reviews I've read have been pretty positive about the CD. Even one of Rolling Stone's own critics named "Soulful" one of the 10 best of the year!

Much of the material on the album is very good, and I think Ruben was lucky to have the writing and producing team that was provided to him. The CD is a bold first effort that has paid off well for Ruben.

I think fans just have to take critics reviews with a pinch of salt.

I agree with the above posts, there are some good tracks on the cd, but I imagine given full rein Ruben would have made some changes.
    The Idols did claim a few victories with regard to their albums, but on the whole J records and RCA did not concede a great deal.
    I look forward to Ruben's future releases where he will hopefully be allowed more say in track selection and the feel of the album.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I guess what I was commenting on goes past the RS review - as ya'll said, everyone will have their own opinions. What I was especially wondering is if anyone agreed that they are churning out these cds with too little effort. Many comments I've read about both cd's is about the emotionallessness....I'm thinking if they give them material they really don't care about, it'll show. It seems to me like these two (three - Kelly's was prettygood, but coulda been better) would benefit so much if someone put a little more faith in them. I know they don't like the TV format..but my lord, they spent months proving themselves on that show. Thoughts?
    Last edited by neese28; 01-06-2004 at 03:48 PM.
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
    -- Douglas Adams

I think the first cd's seem to be money making ventures for RCA and J to a degree.
    Once the record companies have recouped their initial outlay I am hoping they'll let the artists have more say.
    You would certainly think there'd be a more emotional connection to the music if the idols were given a greater say in selecting the tracks.

I haven't heard Clay's cd, other than the five tracks that were on pick the hits.
    I don't even know if they made it onto the final album. They didn't impress me, but Clay's vocal never connect with me, I just don't feel emotion in his singing, so that didn't surprise me really.

I have read posts from Clay fans who even claim that the emotion they feel from live performances is somewhat lacking on his recorded tracks, as always this is just an opinion expressed by some, others will disagree.

I'm pleased with Ruben's vocal performance on his cd.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by neese28
    I guess what I was commenting on goes past the RS review - as ya'll said, everyone will have their own opinions. What I was especially wondering is if anyone agreed that they are churning out these cds with too little effort. Many comments I've read about both cd's is about the emotionallessness....I'm thinking if they give them material they really don't care about, it'll show. It seems to me like these two (three - Kelly's was prettygood, but coulda been better) would benefit so much if someone put a little more faith in them. I know they don't like the TV format..but my lord, they spent months proving themselves on that show. Thoughts?

I honestly think the producers put effort into Ruben's CD, and it shows, in a good way. As I said before, most of the media reviews of "Soulful" have been positive, and not just about Ruben's input. I haven't read any comments in the media that Ruben's CD is emotionless (that has only been applied to Clay and Kelly's CDs, as far as I know). Ruben's emotional expressiveness is as huge as his waist . He could make the train schedule sound emotional.

I only listened to part of Clay's CD, but it sounds like they were trying to make Clay into something he isn't. But then again, I'm not sure what Clay exactly wanted with his CD. Kelly seems to have been satisfied with her first CD. It reflected her wish for a kind of bluesy, rock edge to the pop.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 01-06-2004 at 04:25 PM.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I've got to agree with all the above ru-fans, and also mention that I thought the CD was pretty emotional, especially the background Rubens in "After the Candles Burn" and Ruben in HCYMABH.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast