+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben Studdard Part VII

Emotional feeling in his singing is the one thing Ruben does have over the other idol's CDs. He noted he didn't get his way 100%, but that he's happy with the end product. You can tell that he believes in what at least 80% of the songs are saying or what they are about - they fit with his life, he feels them. Clay doesn't seem one with his music; it's there, he sings it, but it's not part of him. Kelly's is about half her & half them. We know she likes the Tamyra duet, because she really wanted that to be the second single, just didn't work out that way.
    Sing & dance the night away!

Okay, at the risk of getting bashed (*runs and ducks*), I have to say that I don't agree with people saying that Clay's singing is emotionless. I really hear emotion when I hear him sing. I think if you like the singer, you hear what you want to hear. Some of the supposed Clay fans who didn't like the album didn't because he wasn't singing oldies and classics and because it had a more pop flavor. I haven't heard any of Ruben's album other than Superstar and Sorry, so I really can't really comment on his emotion or compare the two albums. Bottom line, though: if you like an album, it doesn't matter how many stars it gets. I've LOVED some albums that have been totally panned or completely ignored by RS and other big magazines.
    Last edited by clay crazy; 01-06-2004 at 09:12 PM.

No bashing here cc, I agree with your post.

I think that peole do get different things from music.
    What comes across as emotion filled to one person can seem emotionless to another.

I also agree with your bottom line comment.
    I really don't care what critics have to say aobut an album. I don't consider their comments when making a purchase from an artist that I already like.

Critics get paid for their opinions, but they are opinions all the same.
    "That's Numberwang!"

PLATINUM SELLING STAR!! RUBEN_205's Avatar
    about the rolling stone rating i think personally that magazine is a little too harsh on ratings. i would give ruben's cd a MUCH better rating than that. but in that magazine they usually dont give very many good ratings to albums except rock albums or so it seems. like one of you said in an earlier post, its more of a rock magazine so thats probably why the rock albums get so much better ratings then the pop,hip-hop, and R&B albums. i agree with you guys about how i can totally tell that ruben puts emotion into his songs. i think most of them really express him and i think thats great! i personally LOVE his album and the work he's done to make it such a great album!!!! clay crazy i agree about what you said about how if you like the music you shouldnt care about what some magzine gives it in ratings. i've seen some magazines that give ruben's album a high rating and others that have given him pretty low ratings. but the bottom line for me is that i LOVE the album and i think its awesome!

by the way OSB thanks for letting me know your checking in with ticketmaster. i might just sign up with it and see when Ruben's coming to town. but in case i dont, please keep me, and the other RUfans posted, like you said! THANKS!
    "This is wonderful, man. I've dreamed of being in this place my whole life and I'm finally here, and there is nothing better than being able to live out you dream." ~ Ruben Studdard
    MY FORT FRIEND IS ClayAiken#1Fan!!!!!
    I Love Ruben! The gospel-singing, taco bell eating victor of american idol!!!

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clay crazy
    Bottom line, though: if you like an album, it doesn't matter how many stars it gets. I've LOVED some albums that have been totally panned or completely ignored by RS and other big magazines.

I don't put too much stock into critics' ratings. Their liking or non-liking of something has no meaning to me. I try things out for myself. I trust my own judgement.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Okay, at the risk of getting bashed (*runs and ducks*), I have to say that I don't agree with people saying that Clay's singing is emotionless. I really hear emotion when I hear him sing. I think if you like the singer, you hear what you want to hear. Some of the supposed Clay fans who didn't like the album didn't because he wasn't singing oldies and classics and because it had a more pop flavor. I haven't heard any of Ruben's album other than Superstar and Sorry, so I really can't really comment on his emotion or compare the two albums. Bottom line, though: if you like an album, it doesn't matter how many stars it gets. I've LOVED some albums that have been totally panned or completely ignored by RS and other big magazines.
    Definitely no bashing here. An opinion is just an opinion, after all. It doesn't matter if the critic's don't like it.

Some of the supposed Clay fans who didn't like the album didn't because he wasn't singing oldies and classics and because it had a more pop flavor.
    I hate when I read one of my own posts and realize I worded something badly and it's too late to fix it. I didn't mean it to sound like a Clay fan is not really a fan if he/she didn't like the album. What I meant is I read a lot of the customer reviews at Amazon, and in the beginning it seemed like some of Clay's fans who were disappointed with the album were unhappy because he sounds a little different than he did on AI and the songs are not quite the same style as we heard him do on AI. I don't know why I worded it like that meant they weren't really a fan.
    Anyway, I'm glad to see that you all are not letting the RS review bother you. It was hard reading some of Clay's less than stellar reviews, but eventually I was able to shrug them off.

Quote Originally Posted by realityluver

I don't put too much stock into critics' ratings. Their liking or non-liking of something has no meaning to me. I try things out for myself. I trust my own judgement.
    Well said, realityluver!

Last edited by clay crazy; 01-07-2004 at 10:29 AM.

If we listened to critics, we'd never go to a movie, or read a book, or watch a TV program, or buy a CD, or visit a restaurant, or much of anything else. As realityluver said, "trust your own judgment".

Here are links from J Records to the video for "Sorry 2004", in case you haven't seen it on TV yet.

NOTE: Do not try to click on these links. Cut and paste the entire
    link (make sure it's not broken) into your web browser.

REAL VIDEO:
    http://media.bmgonline.com/jrecords....ideo/sorry_200
    4_300.ram

4_128.ram

4_56.ram

WINDOWS MEDIA:
    4_300.asx

4_128.asx

4_56.asx

[QUOTE=clay crazy]I hate when I read one of my own posts and realize I worded something badly and it's too late to fix it. I didn't mean it to sound like a Clay fan is not really a fan if he/she didn't like the album. What I meant is I read a lot of the customer reviews at Amazon, and in the beginning it seemed like some of Clay's fans who were disappointed with the album were unhappy because he sounds a little different than he did on AI and the songs are not quite the same style as we heard him do on AI. I don't know why I worded it like that meant they weren't really a fan......[QUOTE]

I also thought your first post meant that people aren't Clay fans if they don't like his CD. I didn't want to post a comment to that because I didn't want to start up something. I'm glad that you cleared that up.

Here is a suggestion.

Instead of using the quick reply, use the post reply and then preview your post before sending it. Once your post is sent, I believe that we have something like 30 minutes or so, to edit our posts. Good luck with posting in the future. BTW, you can also preview your PMs before sending.

Don't forget Letterman tomorrow night. Also, the video will be shown on BET 106 & Park this Friday 1/9. I expect it will be up for voting it onto the countdown by Monday. I'll post the voting info before I leave town Friday, because I won't be back until Wednesday, and may not have computer access.

+ Reply to Thread