+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben Studdard Part VII

A better question would be why did Ruben get stuck with remaking anyone else's song, instead of having an original song written for him, like the other finalist? In the finals, all should be equal, with both having to sing the same song (as in AI1), both getting new songs, or both doing remakes. Why are you bringing this up 8 months after the show anyway?

Ruben will be on ET on MTV and ET on VH1 today and tomorrow - check your local listings for times and stations.
    Sing & dance the night away!

FORT Newbie

Please Explain, Please

I'm bringing it up now because I saw his horriific version of the classic Westlife no.1 yesterday for the first time. So far in the UK we had be protected from this embarrassing cover. Why did Simon Cowell allow this very average performer sing the '1999 Record of the Year' and turn it from something great to a similiar standard of an Aaron Carter single?

I think you need to address your question to Simon Cowell.
    I don't see how anyone here would know why that song was chosen and I strongly doubt it's within Simon's power to say who can and can't cover the song, unless he owns the publishing rights.

Go and play the Westlife version a few times if you feel the need to clense yourself.
    I personally find FWOW a bit of a dirge whoever is singing it.
    It's only a song, I'm sure anyone who was offended by Ruben's version will cope.
    "That's Numberwang!"

tsk tsk

Quote Originally Posted by dannyclass18
    Could somebody please explain to me, why Simon Cowell allowed Ruben Studdard to cover 'Flying Without Wings'?

Why did Simon Cowell let, not only his most successful group but most successful group in the world, song into the hands of this guy?

Why did Simon Cowell allow arguably Westlife's best no.1 and one of the best songs of the 90's turn into a shambolic cringeing mess?

Can anybody explain this? I sincerely doubt that anybody can!

Can anybody explain to me why you would come to a Ruben thread and say such a thing??!?

:nono

With all due respect, Dannyclass18, I agree with Fluff. If you want to know what's in Simon Cowell's head, you should direct your question to him. I personally think the song sucks, but Ruben brought so much life and soul to it that I loved his version.
    If you don't like Ruben's version, don't listen to it.

We would all need therapy if we could tell you what makes Simon Cowell do the things he does. My question is, why did he release Ruben's CD at the same time as the runner-up??? I could go on and on with the whys of Simon Cowell, but I'm too busy listening to the Grammy nominated Ruben Studdard's latest CD.

People are entitled to have an opinion, but if you don't understand a singer that gives a boring song SOUL and it comes from the heart, stick to what you know!!!!!!

PLATINUM SELLING STAR!! RUBEN_205's Avatar
    thanks OSB for all the tv updates! i'll be tuning in! cant wait for jan.21! ruben mania that day! yeahoo! that would also be awesome if he were presented his platinum plaque that day! like OSB said why dannyclass18 are you bringing this up months after the show has been over?if you dont like ruben's rendidtion of the song dont listen to it. i however think its a great song the way ruben performed it! but if you dont like it dont listen to it.
    "This is wonderful, man. I've dreamed of being in this place my whole life and I'm finally here, and there is nothing better than being able to live out you dream." ~ Ruben Studdard
    MY FORT FRIEND IS ClayAiken#1Fan!!!!!
    I Love Ruben! The gospel-singing, taco bell eating victor of american idol!!!

I can think of many cover versions of songs that I really don't like.
    At the moment, No Doubt's version of "It's My Life" would be at the top of that list.

It's disappointing when you hear a version of a favourite song done in a way you don't like, but there really is nothing anyone can do about it.
    Shrug your shoulders and change the station.

I think Ruben sings from the heart, I think West Life are a heavily manufactured boy band chosen more for their looks than their singing ability.
    To each his/her own.

Not long til the Grammy awards show now, heavenly

I'm just pleased for Ruben that he was even considered for an award.
    It's great exposure for him.
    "That's Numberwang!"

PLATINUM SELLING STAR!! RUBEN_205's Avatar
    im looking forward to the grammys! its a great honor also for him being honored! i'll be jumping out of my seat screaming with happiness if he wins! the grammy's are a BIG thing and when you win one of those, its a big honor! ( especially if it happened to ruben because he hasnt been out for a long time in the musc buisness) but im hoping and praying for a winfor ruben! even if he doesnt though, i'll be happy that he was at least nominated! way to go ruben!
    "This is wonderful, man. I've dreamed of being in this place my whole life and I'm finally here, and there is nothing better than being able to live out you dream." ~ Ruben Studdard
    MY FORT FRIEND IS ClayAiken#1Fan!!!!!
    I Love Ruben! The gospel-singing, taco bell eating victor of american idol!!!

I think it's a bit of a stretch for him to win, even though I tihnk his performance on Superstar is nothing short of incredible.

I think Luther is the favourite, even without his health issue.

Ruben should be proud of himself for even landing a nomination though (as should Kelly). I don't think the music industry is generally very receptive the the Idols, so I see this is quite a breakthrough.
    "That's Numberwang!"

If I remember correctly, even Ruben didn't know what he was going to do with FWOW and didn't care for it, until Babyface reworked it for him. I agree about covers in general, Fluff, and No Doubt's in particular. Every now & then, I like the cover better, or at least equally as well as the original. An example being Tina Turner's "Let's Stay Together" - I love it, but love Al Green's original, also.

I am truly appreciating the fact that Ruben's nominations are for awards based on industry votes, rather than fan votes. I don't think we have to worry about say, Quincy Jones, stuffing the ballot box. Ruben being nominated so early in his professional career is also a great honor, as you and Ruben_205 noted. Personally, I think Ruben has a good shot at that Grammy, because I believe Luther will win his other 3 categories (will probably lose the duet nod, but that's not him alone). Since, it is rare for an artist to win every category he/she is up for, the one Ruben's in may be the one Luther doesn't take, especially, because, as you said, Ruben did a hell of a job on that song. Of course, the songwriting nom could also be the one he doesn't take. This uncertainty, of course, is the reason we will all be watching and wringing our hands in about 3 weeks.

Ruben & football for me tomorrow, then the big AI3 premiere Monday - here we go again!
    Sing & dance the night away!

+ Reply to Thread