+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

FORT Fogey

Re: Simon Cowell, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3792567;
    Maybe now as Idol enters its second decade and the "personalities" are gone, the show can be about the kids
    Yeah, and here's the thing... (Ha! I just used a Kara-ism!) ... It always was about the kids - the producers and Simon just never trusted them.

Some random thoughts:
    • Speaking for myself, I tuned in every week last year and blabbed about Adam's amazing talent and Kris's creativity and soul. I yakked with you all about whether Danny was the new Michael Bolton or a d-bag. And why the heck was Allison always in the bottom three??? The only time the subject of the judges came up was when they pissed us off - which was rather regularly.
    • Take a look back at the messages in this thread. No one gives a hoot about Simon until he threatens to leave. We say we care a lot, but the evidence in the forum messages says differently.
    • Do you really want Simon to stay? Simon Fuller (and earlier, Nigel Lythgoe) want an entertaining talent competition with the best contestants possible. Simon Cowell doesn't want that - he wants DRAMA! Simon stepped in as a producer last year and got a lot of his ideas incorporated into the season. So we got lots of drama in the pre-season (Bikini Girl, Tatiana, Nick Mitchell), but not much good singing. We got a hand-picked slate of finalists pushed through with a Top 36 format that made it one performance and you're out. That was capped off with a Wild Card round where the judges just picked who they wanted to go to the finals - no voting allowed. We had the judges making a grand entrance down the stairs, and then fighting with each other during the show. THIS is all the stuff of X-Factor and what Simon adores. Without it, he is BORED. He doesn't want to sit a judge a bunch of karaoke; he wants to be "Simon Cowell - STARMAKER"! Otherwise the show is a waste of his time. Seriously, America, think real hard about whether you want more of Simon, because he was behind 80% of all the crap you complained about last year. If you want a talent competition with a somewhat level playing field, you need to bid Simon adieu.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I've been thinking about this, and maybe I was wrong. I kept comparing what happened with Pop Idol and the UK X-Factor to what could happen to American Idol, but really, Pop Idol only lasted one season, viewers didn't get to really grab onto it the same way that American Idol has been able grab viewers.

I agree that it should be more about the kids and less about the judges. Maybe without Simon Cowell that could happen and American Idol could stick it out. They will need a new judge after Simon is gone though, because the judges need to be there to give credibility to the show and (hopefully) advice to the kids. Randy, Kara, and Ellen are not going to cut it, they will need a more know name from the music industry to get some new attention to the show. If they could get someone like Smokey Robinson to sit at that judges table, bring some real name power and credibility, that could have a big impact on the viewers.

Once the contracts are up for Seacrest and Jackson (or a buyout) AI is done.
    There's no place like home!

Top Cat,

I do agree with a lot of your comments and wish the show were more about the contestants, too.
    I think, if anything though, Simon tries real hard to point out talent to the viewers. It is then up to them as to what they do with that information.

The problem, however, is that it is a contest that relies on viewer participation to select a winner.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3792552;
    For me, I miss Paula as much as I'll miss Simon but for me the show is still all about the contestants. The judges are just additions to what makes the show good for me but I can still enjoy it as much without them.
    I agree. I don't watch it for Simon, I watch it to see the amazing talent. Simon is just a plus, I do love him and he is my favorite, but I can't deny he sometimes takes attention off the contestants and I find that annoying. I think it will be better this season without Paula for him to argue with. And I will still watch, Simon or no Simon (unless they get someone I really don't care for to replace him).

This show will be done without Simon. X-Factor will take over.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

The view has something on about Howard Stern taking Simon's place What does he know about music or singing
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Losing Simon wouldn't have made me stop watching. Gaining Howard Stern will.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3822727;
    Losing Simon wouldn't have made me stop watching. Gaining Howard Stern will.

I have heard this as well. I hope it's not true.

I will not watch anymore if Howard Stern takes Simon's place!!!

+ Reply to Thread