+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

I believe this might be what Anonymous is saying.

Those who aren't good should be told so. (Giving false hope or praise isn't good). What I believe he objects to isn't the harsh reality of their lack of talent, the criticisms or broken dreams. It's the malice that goes beyond the "you don't have talent" or "you won't make it" that he is objecting to.

Yes, some people are delusional. Some probably fantasize on how good he/she thinks his/her talent is but, tearing someone else down doesn't make the "you don't have the talent" any truer. It just humiliates people who try. It also makes for "good" TV and gets a large viewership of those who both dislike and like Simon.

Something similar could be said of the judges. If they can't take the hours and days and weeks (IMO, that type of scheduling sucks even if you get paid well) of crappy performances, then they shouldn't be judges for the whole process. I think being rude or cruel might be a way of being spiteful to one and telling others, "how dare you take up my time this way".

Maybe a happy medium would be a selection committee before they might move on and meet the judges. They all wait long enough so, that shouldn't be bad for the contestants.

One little thing. On Fame, (yes, I was one of a few who saw the whole season ) the judges did tend to bow down to what Debbie Allen would say. That was unfair to the judges and the contestants who could have used their professional and constructive criticisms. Either way, judging can be a hard balance.

FORT Fogey
    eldee, I think they do have a panel of judges to view people before they go through to Simon, Paula and Randy. (They did on CI anyway). That's part of what makes it so much worse. They take out the average singers, and leave the good ones and the bad ones, so it makes for good TV.

Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    eldee, I think they do have a panel of judges to view people before they go through to Simon, Paula and Randy. (They did on CI anyway). That's part of what makes it so much worse. They take out the average singers, and leave the good ones and the bad ones, so it makes for good TV.
    That's true. I heard that they have to go through TWO auditions wih producers prior to seeing the trio. So basically the producers tell those people that they are good enough to go through just to make for some good television. Therefore the bad auditions part is quite a bit fake and fueled by the producers.
    YDiana DeGarmo § One VoiceY

She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...

This is it! This time I know it's for real.

MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

FORT Fogey

Thanks for the info ladies. That's too bad. It sounds like a set up for both the contestants and the judges. Well, we all know how clean, true and pure reality TV is, don't we?

When I'm watching the show and thinking "Sheesh, will this person never get on key? How horrible!" and Randy says "Dawg!" and Paula says "You look so pretty!" I really need Simon to say "Dreadful!" If we had another judge who pussyfooted around, I wouldn't watch the show. More often than not, I agree with Simon's assessment, and am glad he doesn't pull punches.

Ultimately, what's best for the contestants in terms of feedback is irrelevant. They're getting a lot out of the show -- practical experience, national tv exposure, and a chance to network with industry power brokers.

Did you watch that AI2 tour special Christmas night? Carmen, in her stupidity said something along the lines of 'The reviews really hurt. I thought all that was over once the competition ended." What a simp! The reviewers will be exponentially more cruel and ruthless than Simon could ever be. It's a reality of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker
    When I'm watching the show and thinking "Sheesh, will this person never get on key? How horrible!" and Randy says "Dawg!" and Paula says "You look so pretty!" I really need Simon to say "Dreadful!" If we had another judge who pussyfooted around, I wouldn't watch the show. More often than not, I agree with Simon's assessment, and am glad he doesn't pull punches.

Ultimately, what's best for the contestants in terms of feedback is irrelevant. They're getting a lot out of the show -- practical experience, national tv exposure, and a chance to network with industry power brokers.

Did you watch that AI2 tour special Christmas night? Carmen, in her stupidity said something along the lines of 'The reviews really hurt. I thought all that was over once the competition ended." What a simp! The reviewers will be exponentially more cruel and ruthless than Simon could ever be. It's a reality of the business.
    That's well said Tracker
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I have no problem with Simon's comments. I just wonder why these auditioner's families and friends aren't as honest with them, before they get that far and get slammed. Is it because they don't want to hurt their feelings and shatter their dreams? They definitely aren't doing them any favors. Keep snarking Simon! Besides, I think the man is good to look at, too.
    Sing & dance the night away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBabe
    ..... Besides, I think the man is good to look at, too.
    In that case, I hope he still wears those tight Tee shirts for you!

History is littered with famous, even brilliant singers who were told "you'll never make it in the business, kid." Folks who are really good and have ambition will always overcome remarks by the Simons, producers and critics of the world. Clay overcame negative stuff from Simon (who nonetheless always said Clay had a great voice) and I have hopes that Rickey will do well too.

I find Simon's remarks on the mark and refreshingly candid, but I would watch the show even if he were tactful. I love amateur singing shows. If Star Search had been limited to just singing, instead of dancing and the ridiculous "spokesmodel" category, I would have watched that too.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 01-05-2004 at 05:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread