+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

FORT Fogey

Re: Simon Cowell, Judge

I am wary of Simon because I have seen what he has done with X-Factor. I'd hate to see that kind of talent-less spectacle come to AI. I want AI to be about the audience finding new talent, with as little add-on glitz as possible. The sooner he is set loose to do his own thing, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Although I would miss his "tough love" point of view.

FORT Fogey

And along comes Nigel Lythgoe, current producer/judge of SYTYCD and former producer of American Idol, to make my point for me. (From an interview in today's Daily Mirror in the UK.)

Nigel says they would also disagree over selecting contestants. "He wanted real characters he could pick on and I didn't. I wanted the best talent that we could have.

"I think some years you could put the crazies in there and have him pick on them and other years you just need pure talent.

"The moment the public start to think, 'Hold on a minute they're just there for Simon to pick on', you lose the integrity of the show. I believe in trying to keep the integrity."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3776573;
    Fox is ordering more seasons of Idol with or without Cowell.
    with the loss of Paula, crazy as she is I still loved her, and now with the rumor that Simon is leaving.. its not going to be the same show.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

This is pretty compelling reading.

Why Simon Is Quitting Idol - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

Why Simon Is Quitting Idol
    by Richard Rushfield
    Idol's most famous face, Simon Cowell, is expected to leave the show, and is starting a competitor on Fox. Richard Rushfield on the bitter clashes that led to the end.
    Season 9 of American Idol starts Tuesday. And it is expected that soon Fox will announce that its biggest star Simon Cowell will leave the show after the season ends to launch an American version of The X Factor, another singing competition, for the network. Today, Fox’s executives will face questions at a press conference about this rumor—the news could be made official there.
    Cowell will be walking away from what may be the most lucrative job in the history of television. His departure will mark the denouement of a collaboration that in the past decade has been at the very apex of entertainment—last season, an average of 26 million viewers watched American Idol. But somehow the working relationship between Cowell and the rest of the show’s machine has transformed from the close bond felt by a ragtag band of brothers storming the gates of show business into a marriage of convenience fraught with bitterness.
    For two seasons, Simon Cowell and Simon Fuller were barely speaking to each other.
    For years now, even as the show has continued to dominate the television landscape, life on the set was constantly tested by the love/hate battle that raged between American Idol’s creator (Simon Fuller) and its iconic star (Cowell)–a symbiotic relationship with stakes so high, few dared to imagine its end.
    Backstage—as young singers fought to the death—a war smoldered. Just three months ago, at the over-the-top 50th birthday gala Cowell threw for himself (complete with waiters in Simon Cowell masks, Simon Cowell wallpaper and alphabet soup stocked with the letters S-I-M-O-N), the star alluded to the push-pull of his Idol brotherhood, many of whom were in attendance. Speaking to the crowd, he said, “We may not always see eye to eye, but we both know that if one of us needed the other, we would be there.”
    When American Idol begins its tenth season in one year, Cowell will, in fact, no longer be there. As the star of The X Factor, Cowell’s role will morph from in-house Idol diva to that of competitor trying to kill his old show.
    In leaving Idol, Cowell walks away from an unspeakably well-compensated job, one requiring very little in return for the vast wealth it bestowed. For what is said to have been in the neighborhood of $50 million a year (with much much, much more on the table if he had returned), Judge Cowell was required for four months each year to show up two days a week for about three hours at the CBS lot where American Idol is filmed. He would then sit in a chair, listen to a handful of performances, and deliver off-the-cuff opinions about them. No rehearsal. And visitors to the set can attest, within no more than 15 minutes of the credits rolling, Cowell was invariably behind the wheel of his Bugatti (or another from his fleet) driving away, his day’s work done. In sheer dollars-per-hours of work, Cowell’s deal is incomparable to anything else in entertainment—or sports—now or in recent memory.
    And still, he is walking away.

FORT Regular

I say if he's miserable then more power to him for leaving. It's going to suck not having him or Paula on the show but money isn't everything and even if it were, the man is not lacking. He'll make X-Factor the next Idol anyhow. I'll watch both.

FORT Fogey

It is all becoming clearer and clearer. American Idol is donezo! Simon has demolished it to make way for X-factor.

I've never seen the X Factor, so I can't make a comparison or comment on it.

I do feel, however, the big draw for AI is Simon. I doubt I'd be able to get through the show without him.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3792540;

I do feel, however, the big draw for AI is Simon. I doubt I'd be able to get through the show without him.
    For me, I miss Paula as much as I'll miss Simon but for me the show is still all about the contestants. The judges are just additions to what makes the show good for me but I can still enjoy it as much without them.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3792540;

You won't have to get through the show without him. The whole point is for you to switch over the X-factor so you can watch him!! X-factor is like Idol but I think it is more contemporary. There are 4 judges, I think and each judge is the mentor to a group of contestants. One is the mentor to young males, one to young females, one to groups, and one to older people. I'm not exactly sure about all of the details but that is basically how it works. And Simon controls so much more.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

According to TMZ, Simon just announced that he is leaving American Idol. No surprise really, just some confirmation I guess. TMZ hs been fairly accurate lately (except that JFK photo).

Simon Cowell: I'm Leaving 'American Idol' | TMZ.com

Also a note about Paula joining Simon on X-Factor:

Simon Cowell Courts Paula Abdul | TMZ.com
    Last edited by StarryElf; 01-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread