+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

FORT Fogey

Re: Simon Cowell, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3441144;
    If he does leave Idol, I do not believe it will be to reduce the travel. I believe it will be to be free to appear on America's Got Talent, and sell X-Factor here. he'll continue to spend as much time in the US as he does now.
    I agree; it could be a brand new venture too. He is bored and it is time to move on.

I can't help but remark (again) on how different Simon's personality is on Britain's Got Talent. I just saw contestant 17-year-old Shawn Smith's performance today on the Internet, and Simon was as smilely and relaxed as he was when Susan Boyle appeared a few weeks ago. I think Simon really has been playing a different (more rigid) role as an American Idol judge. By the way, Shawn, like Susan, can sing circles around the vast majority of AI finalists.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3446087;
    I can't help but remark (again) on how different Simon's personality is on Britain's Got Talent. I just saw contestant 17-year-old Shawn Smith's performance today on the Internet, and Simon was as smilely and relaxed as he was when Susan Boyle appeared a few weeks ago. I think Simon really has been playing a different (more rigid) role as an American Idol judge. By the way, Shawn, like Susan, can sing circles around the vast majority of AI finalists.
    --
    I also noticed a difference when he was on Oprah yesterday, showcasing various "got talent" winners. It MAY be that he's got an American persona and a British persona. But I think it could also be the difference in the shows. "Got Talent" is more of a showcase of unknown, talented people. Idol is more of a proving ground for people who want to make it in the music business. One is a matter of "Do you have special talent" and one is a matter of "Do you really have what it takes to be a star?" So I can understand why his strategy and take on constestants would be different because of the different goals of the competition. If he were to ever leave Idol and do Ameria's Got Talent, it'd be interesting to see if we'd see any difference.

I'm not sure why Simon is so different on the shows. Both have made stars out of people. Perhaps one key difference is that the British show seems to embrace eccentrics like Susan Boyle while the American show just makes fun of them and rejects them during the early auditions. So the format for American Idol is more rigid to begin with. Also, in the British show, there is no "Ryan" after the contestants arrive onstage, and Simon does those Ryan type of duties from the judges' panel. So that also probably prompts Simon to be more flexible in his demeanor.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

The whole concept of Idol is more rigid.
    All in all, there are a lot of wannabees on Idol.
    And that can put a strain on those judges.

Got Talent is more spontaneous and loose.
    There are talents, surprises, and kooks, right next to each other.
    I think I would enjoy being a judge on Got Talent more than on Idol.

BTW, has anyone seen Jamie Pugh on Got Talent?
    Search YouTube for...

Jamie Pugh - Britain's Got Talent - Show 4

That is one of my absolute favorites so far, on Got Talent 09.
    I listened to a recording of the original LM cast from London.
    And I have to say I like Jamie's version even better.
    It sounds so mature, serious, and full of conviction.

WhatNottoSing's latest editorial talks a lot about the difference between Idol and X-Factor (Simon's other show) and the possibility that Simon is the problem with Idol producer's needing more input. In X-Factor, he's got a lot more control.

Editorials and Articles Archive - WhatNotToSing.com - The American Idol Internet Database

FORT Fogey

Well, for good or for ill, looks like we have Simon for another three years. Apparently he has resigned to extend his American Idol run beyond Season 9, according to Reuters and Hollywood Reporter:

“We’ve heard from Fox, who has asked us for approval for Simon Cowell to appear for three more years on ‘Idol,’” CKX chairman and CEO Robert Sillerman said. “They, in their negotiations with Cowell, have asked us to pre-approve him not only for ‘American Idol’ ‘09, which has begun taping, but they have also asked us for approval for ‘10 and ‘11, indicating to us that they’re finishing their negotiation with Cowell. We did grant approval for that, quite obviously.”
    Reported amount: $45 million a year.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 08-11-2009 at 07:59 AM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3654699;
    IMO, well worth every penny!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3654699;
    Well, for good or for ill, looks like we have Simon for another three years. Apparently he has resigned to extend his American Idol run beyond Season 9, according to Reuters and Hollywood Reporter:

Then again maybe not.

Brother: Simon Cowell to leave 'Idol' next year - Yahoo! News

Wed Dec 23, 3:54 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – Simon Cowell's brother says the next season of "American Idol" will be the judge's last. Tony Cowell said in his weekly podcast, "The Cowell Factor," that a statement was being prepared that would certify that the acerbic British judge was leaving the popular Fox signing competition at the end of 2010.

Simon Cowell will concentrate on bringing his popular U.K. talent show "The X Factor" to the U.S. next year, his brother said on the Saturday podcast, which has since been removed.

"Meanwhile, Simon prepares for a new season of 'Idol,' or should I say, his last season of 'Idol,'" Cowell's older brother said. "A press statement is being prepared which will confirm what everybody expected: Simon will leave 'Idol' at the end of 2010 to concentrate on bringing the American version of 'X Factor' to U.S. TV in 2011."

The 50-year-old Cowell has been with "American Idol" since the series debuted in 2002. His contract ends after the upcoming ninth season, which begins Jan. 12. The judging panel was shaken up last year with the arrival of songwriter Kara DioGuardi and departure of pop star Paula Abdul, who is being replaced next season by talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

A Fox spokeswoman had no comment about the report. Messages left for Cowell's spokesman were not immediately returned.

Fox is ordering more seasons of Idol with or without Cowell.

+ Reply to Thread