+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

FORT Fogey

Re: Simon Cowell, Judge

Simon has an interview in TV Guide published this morning. I thought this was funny:

Do you Twitter?
    I only found out about Twitter a few weeks ago. And of course the person who’s always on it is Ryan. Twitter is made for Ryan, where he can talk like a 15 year old. He knows the language, all the horrible abbreviations. And also have the ego to assume people are interested in what you’ve got to say. It is as strange to me as picking up the phone now and dialing a number randomly and saying, “Hi, what are you doing for dinner tonight? Because I’m having a cup of tea, are you interested?” It’s just too odd.

I checked out Twitter a while ago,
    cause the initial idea struck me as interesting.
    Meanwhile I think it's pointless.
    I don't need to know if somebody is having a cup of coffee,
    or if that person just fell down the stairs.

I call Twitter "the short version of nothing"!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Having just joined FB about 3 weeks ago, I'm guessing I won't "catch on" to Twitter for about another year, if it's still around. I'm quite sure I'm not missing anything, and neither is Simon.

Article from the Associated Press (as published in my local paper today)

Twitter quitters outnumber the flock of habitual tweeters on the rapidly growing online communications service, a new study suggests.

Most people aren’t joining the Web site’s jumble of conversations for very long. More than 60 percent of Twitter’s U.S. users don’t return a month later, based on an analysis of traffic trends unveiled this week by the research firm Nielsen Online.

The lackluster retention rate of 40 percent suggests many people don’t see the point in spending time on Twitter, which allows anyone to write about what they’re doing or what’s on their mind in messages, or “tweets,” limited to 140 characters.

While some of the chirping is entertaining, thought-provoking or downright helpful, much of the chatter can be quite banal as people update when they are eating, drinking and even puking.

Nielsen’s conclusions initially were ridiculed by some Twitter fans because the research firm didn’t attempt to account for applications on mobile phones and other devices that bypass the Web site.

That limitation raised the possibility that Nielsen was wrongly characterizing some active users as Twitter quitters, prompting the firm to measure the alternative methods for tweeting. Nielsen still found about 60 percent of Twitter users aren’t sticking around.

Twitter co-founder Biz Stone didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment about Nielsen Online’s findings.

Despite the defectors, Twitter is amassing an impressive audience. In March, the San Francisco-based service attracted a U.S. audience of 13.9 million, up from roughly 500,000 users at the same juncture last year, Nielsen said.

Given that Twitter received an endorsement from Oprah Winfrey on her television show in April, it is likely that month’s numbers will be substantially higher.

A high turnover rate isn’t unusual when a young Web site starts to catch on, but 3-year-old Twitter is losing users at a quicker pace than Facebook and MySpace did at comparable stages of their growth, according to Nielsen.

Both Facebook and MySpace were retaining about 60 percent a few years ago and now are keeping about 70 percent of their traffic
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Hollywood Reporter did an interview with Simon Cowell. Most of the usual stuff (Who do you think will win... What do you think of the fourth judge... blah blah). But here's an interesting quote:

The contestants are interesting, they're talented. I think, arguably, with this guy Adam, he could be one of the best we've ever had -- in terms of an out-and-out pop star who could sell all over the world. So in that respect, it's been one of my favorite seasons. Much better than last year. I got bored last year. Just totally, totally bored. It was like judging a bunch of robots.
    Hmmm... maybe he needs to apologize to David Cook. AGAIN.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3431364;
    Hollywood Reporter did an interview with Simon Cowell. Most of the usual stuff (Who do you think will win... What do you think of the fourth judge... blah blah). But here's an interesting quote:

Hmmm... maybe he needs to apologize to David Cook. AGAIN.
    I've said it before. If Simon thinks it, he says it...and often he thinks a different thought this minute than he did a while back....so he says it ...utterly contradicting his previous statement

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

You know what he meant. They were all robots EXCEPT for David Cook.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

FORT Fogey

I can appreciate what Simon is saying without it being a slight to David Cook. Last year, most every performer - including David Cook - had a very defined style. IT was easy to know what to expect each of them to sing both in song selection and the style they'd do. David was great in the way he did it, but you pretty much knew he aws giong to put a rock twist on an unexpected song every week. This year, the styles have a little more variation.

I was in the store and saw a magazine with an interview with Simon featured. It said something a long the lines "why he won't be back next season" etc etc. I didn't have time to look it over. Anybody read it and can tell us the short and sweet version?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3439993;
    I was in the store and saw a magazine with an interview with Simon featured. It said something a long the lines "why he won't be back next season" etc etc. I didn't have time to look it over. Anybody read it and can tell us the short and sweet version?
    In this thread, go back to the bottom of page 16 (around 4-11-2009). That's when the Daily Mirror interview came out in the UK. Since then, Simon has told every interviewer pretty much the same thing.

His contract is up after next year, and he has no intention of re-upping. Some say it's a negotiating ploy. I think he means it. You can see how bored he is. If he drops this show, with time saved on travel (he's doing another live show in London right now and commuting back and forth every week) he could produce two new shows in the UK. You can read through the comments and articles and come to your own conclusion.

FORT Fogey

If he does leave Idol, I do not believe it will be to reduce the travel. I believe it will be to be free to appear on America's Got Talent, and sell X-Factor here. he'll continue to spend as much time in the US as he does now.

+ Reply to Thread