+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

Re: Simon Cowell, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3419758;
    And the goal of that show is to take the stage at the Royal Variety performance, not a recording contract. It is a place to pick up national interest, but being an ongoing moneymaking artist(s) doesn't seem to be the end product. Susan Boyle could achieve her goal of being a recording artist in the style of Eileen Page (sp) but not a top selling pop artist on the charts. That is all she wanted out of this, anyway.

Exactly. The expectations for Britain's Got Talent are very different from those for American Idol, and that's why it probably will be a huge irony for Simon if Susan Boyle ends up selling millions of records internationally. Susan is on track to attain the most views (more than 100 million in nine days) for anyone in YouTube history. That has to result in some big album sales. BGT judge Peirs Morgan said Simon told him that Susan's popularity is the biggest phenomenon of his career. Indeed.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3420120;
    Exactly. The expectations for Britain's Got Talent are very different from those for American Idol, and that's why it probably will be a huge irony for Simon if Susan Boyle ends up selling millions of records internationally.
    --
    Quote from today's NY Times article with quotes from Simon:

“I think there’s a very slim chance she won’t do a record,” Mr. Cowell said in a telephone interview, before quickly correcting himself: “No, of course there’ll be a record.”

Mr. Cowell’s company, Syco, also makes millions from the albums and tour appearances by the singers who appear on his shows. The antecedents to Ms. Boyle in Britain include the big-selling pop star Leona Lewis, who was an “X Factor” winner, and Paul Potts, the opera-singing cellphone salesman, who won “Britain’s Got Talent.”

“We will ship between three million and five million copies of a Susan Boyle album,” Mr. Cowell said. “Paul Potts sold five million. I think there’s a chance we could double that.”
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvstruck;3418959;
    Simon doesn't have the final say but "the producers" YES because whoever wins gets a recording contract and they want them to be successful!!!!! Some previous winners have been popular on the show but it has not translated to career success. Ruben & Clay come to mind. Ruben chose a gospel approach whereas Clay went pop so there was a bigger record buying audience for him. What happened to Fantasia, she's on broadway but you don't hear much about her or record sales? Look at Chris Daughtrey & Jennifer Hudson's sucess, I think the producers naturally want the person to win be the most "Marketable" so may determine the final results to whom they believe will represent IDOL best with their sucess.
    The top priority of the producers of American Idol is the TV ratings. They are happy if the Top 5 finalists have big sales and they don't care as much which finalists have the most. The Ruben/Clay "duel" season produced stellar ratings, and the producers aren't crying that the bigger seller ended up being Clay, because Simon Fuller, the Big AI Daddy, profited from those sales. In fact, Simon predicted before the finale that Clay would make huge amounts of money. For the American Idol franchise, the producers were quoted as saying that it was better that Ruben won, for the reputation of the show. They considered Clay a hugely successful Liberace type appealing to a middle-aged demographic (which is my demographic). Taylor Hicks generated huge ratings for the show, but Daughtrey ended up selling more albums. Again, Hicks was fantastic for ratings, and that's the holy grail for American Idol producers.

For Simon Cowell and the other producers, they can't sell albums of unknown artists if they don't have shows on which to bring these performers to the attention of the public. High TV ratings will ensure this process continues.
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3420128;
    Quote from today's NY Times article with quotes from Simon:
    Thanks for the tip about the NY Times article. I'll check it out.
    --

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Please can someone (anyone?) please make Simon wear something other than a white t-shirt when he judges?
    He needs to stop wearing UNDERWEAR on national television!! And this week, his white shirt had a loose thread sticking out of the right sleeve! Pathetic. I know the guy can afford clothes - why doesn't he wear some?
    Even a t-shirt in another color would be better.
    There is no way that the contestants should be better dressed than their judge.
    Ryan always looks impeccable, and Randy is not a bad dresser either - what is Simon's problem??

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3421524;
    Please can someone (anyone?) please make Simon wear something other than a white t-shirt when he judges?
    I loved Kara's line last night about the improbability of Simon wearing plaid. The image of Simon in a plaid t-shirt made me chuckle.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

. . . . and to think my mother used to be mortified if my father answered the front door of his own house wearing just an undershirt!!!

I'd prefer the sweaters he wears, even if they are all a different shade of gray.

Maybe Paula could take him bowling and he'd be inspired by some of the fashions he'd see there!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3421524;
    He needs to stop wearing UNDERWEAR on national television!! And this week, his white shirt had a loose thread sticking out of the right sleeve! Pathetic. I know the guy can afford clothes - why doesn't he wear some?
    Even a t-shirt in another color would be better.
    There is no way that the contestants should be better dressed than their judge.
    Ryan always looks impeccable, and Randy is not a bad dresser either - what is Simon's problem??

He does wear other colors. Black and gray.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

There are undershirts and then there are t-shirts that are meant to be worn as outerwear. Simon's shirts are the latter.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

FORT Fogey

I like it that he wears T-shirts in white, gray or black. That is his style and better than some of the things Paula comes up with!

+ Reply to Thread