+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cowell, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think some of those people deserve to be embarassed in the future quite honestly.

If the likes of Keith seriously thinks he's talented, then he needs a pretty severe wake up call imo.

Couldn't agree more, fluff. I wonder if these people's 'friends' are outside laughing their butts off because they encouraged the likes of Keith to show off his 'talents'.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Why would someone deserve to be embarassed just because they enjoy doing something but they're not talented?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Why would someone deserve to be embarassed just because they enjoy doing something but they're not talented?
    Because they're wasting everyones time by being there.
    They enjoying singing, fine, sing in the shower.

Many of the people we see in the auditions are so pitiful, that if they really think they are talented enough to be a part of the competition they need a bloody good blast of reality of the kind Simon delivers, imo.

I'm sure they could have a whole final 12 made up of people who are crap yet enthusiastic.
    It might even be entertaining to watch for a week, before people got sick of the catawalling.
    The point of the show is to discover talented singers, not eager ones.
    This isn't some carnival talent show where everyone should get a balloon, "just for trying".
    "That's Numberwang!"

They aren't wasting anyone's time by being there. They're making the show. The previews for AI are basically always the "bad" auditions. Simon or whoever may say "you're wasting our time by being here", but in their head, you know they're thinking "this'll make for great TV!"

I don't feel like people deserve to be mistreated just because they think they're talented. It doesn't matter whether or not they're not talented and they're only eager. They're still giving themselves to something and trying something, most likely extremely frightened to do it, and then getting their self-esteem totally shot down. Nobody deserves to be treated poorly and nobody deserves to be embarassed when they're giving everything they've got to something they enjoy doing, whether or not the actual talent is there.

What makes the show, imo, is the judges reaction to the poor singers.

I doubt anyone would be interested in watching if the judges praised everyone, no matter how poor they were.
    People may not want to admit it, but they want to hear Simon lashing into crap acts, not praising them for giving it a "jolly good go".

I doubt anyone would watch the show if the judges were all namby pamby and never said anything bad to anyone because they'd tried their best.

They need to know the cold hard truth imo, they have no chance of making it in the business and they are completely deluding themselves if they think they have.

As Carmen said on the behind the scenes show last week, the comments from the critics about the tour were worse than anything Simon had to say.

I don't consider the judges comments as "mistreatment" either personally, but like I said earlier, they should know what they might be in for after two seasons of the show.
    If they can't take potential criticism they need to stay at home and if viewers think the way they are treated is so bad then they need not watch.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I would still watch AI if the judges only had constructive things to say. I'm a big music geek and I enjoy mostly anything that has to do with music. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I watch the show because I enjoy watching people perform. I don't get much entertainment out of watching people cry because their self-esteem was shattered.

I agree that people who want to be in the business should learn the truth about their performances, but the "cold hard truth" is not needed to make someone realize that they'd be better suited to do something else career-wise. The "cold hard truth" is only said to make the show more entertaining at the expense of other people, which I find kind of ironic because those other people are putting themselves out there and are interested in making music so that other people can get enjoyment out of it. But what we're getting enjoyment out of is seeing their dreams get shattered and again, I just don't think that's right.

"they should know what they might be in for after two seasons of the show." I'm sorry, but I don't consider that a valid reason for the abuse that some of the applicants have to go through just because they want to make other people happy through their music. That doesn't excuse the comments that are made to them, and just because they "should know what they're in for", the comments are still completely ridiculous to make someone realize that they're not talented enough to advance in the competition.

I've been a musician for many years and used to be in many performances. I was a classical performer, not a pop singer, but there are similarities.

These kids need to be prepared for a cold hard business. Judges will rip you apart after auditions and critics will rip you apart after performances. Simon is brutally honest with the contestants, but I believe he should be. Now, his critiques are always worded in such a way as to make good tv, but they are still honest.

If these kids want to sing for their own enjoyment, there are plenty of community organizations with which they can do just that. However, if they intend to make a career out of it, they need to be told if they have the raw talent for it or not. Just mho.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I totally agree with you. I just don't agree with the way that it's done, not to mention the fact that it's on national TV to boot.

If they're not prepared to take and handle criticism, "on national TV to boot", then they shouldn't be standing in line overnight to audition in front of cameras and the 3 people in the world most likely to be nasty to their faces.

Everyone has the choice not to show up. I have absolutely no pity for anyone who does. Not a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Everyone has the choice not to show up. I have absolutely no pity for anyone who does. Not a drop.
    I guess that's the difference between us then.
    Last edited by fluff; 01-04-2004 at 06:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread