+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Clarkson (representing the United States)

Quote Originally Posted by Ehd
    She won't win, simple coz she's American. Before this competition started it was already clear that neither the British idol or American idol would win for obvious reasons.
    Maybe it's creeping senility but I don't see anything obvious here. Why couldn't the American or British Idols win?

Ehd
    FORT Newbie
    Maybe they can win, but "World Idol" reminds me of the the Eurovision Song Contest, which is similiar to World Idol but a lot more cheesy, just includes all European countries. Britain is very unpopular country in most European countries and never gets votes from other countries. You get European countries vote for their best neighbours. The UK was unpopular at the last Eurovision because of the Afghan war, and finished last. There is a lot of resentment towards the US and UK. Kelly Clarkson is a great singer and IMO was the best on the night, but fact is that she is supposed to be the best that America has to offer, people from other countries would like to see the best America has to offer fail. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehd
    Maybe they can win, but "World Idol" reminds me of the the Eurovision Song Contest, which is similiar to World Idol but a lot more cheesy, just includes all European countries. Britain is very unpopular country in most European countries and never gets votes from other countries. You get European countries vote for their best neighbours. The UK was unpopular at the last Eurovision because of the Afghan war, and finished last. There is a lot of resentment towards the US and UK. Kelly Clarkson is a great singer and IMO was the best on the night, but fact is that she is supposed to be the best that America has to offer, people from other countries would like to see the best America has to offer fail. I hope I'm proven wrong though.
    It's a damn shame we can't keep politics out of something like this. It's a bunch of talented young people who are doing their best to represent their countries, kind of like the Olympics. I really enjoyed seeing all of the singers and wish them well. I truly don't care what country they're from or what that country's politics are - I just like to hear them sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted Lady
    It's a damn shame we can't keep politics out of something like this.

I agree with you. But I think whenever you have people "representing" different countries in a competition where people vote for the winner, there's bound to be those who base their vote on political reasons.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

unfortunate but true. I enojyed Kelly's performance last night, she might do well because Canada is allowed to vote for her (and we all feel we know her so well, watching her during AI)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Go Adria and Natalie! CaNaDiAn FaN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *~GymQT~*
    Canadian fan, i'll vote for Ryan if you vote for Kelly
    I voted for Kelly last night. Also I threw a few votes to Kurt and Heinz, but most of my votes went to Kelly.

Unfortunately I missed the first hour and a half so I watched the tape over, by the time I voted my mom was waiting for a phone call I could only vote for about 3 minutes. :mad: But I got 11 votes in for Kelly. I did the best I could. GO KELLY!!!
    Currently Watching:
    Big Brother 5 - Canadian Idol

- Nokomis - Theresa

Go Adria and Natalie! CaNaDiAn FaN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    unfortunate but true. I enojyed Kelly's performance last night, she might do well because Canada is allowed to vote for her (and we all feel we know her so well, watching her during AI)
    That is exactly what I thought. I was sitting there watching the show over and thought,
    "The Canadians are probably going to vote for Kelly because we could watch American Idol (Unfortunately I didn't watch the first season, only the 2nd), but will the American's vote for Ryan?? They didn't get to watch CI......."

I also figured since almost everyone in the world knows who Kelly is and because they can't vote for their own country, they will probably vote for Kelly, right?? They might all not, but I have a feeling that Kelly is going to win this thing.........
    Currently Watching:
    Big Brother 5 - Canadian Idol

- Nokomis - Theresa

FORT Regular
    I don't get the "Kelly shouting" argument??? I call that powerful singing. She is on key, not overshadowing the music, no feedback, no voice crackling, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Cycle
    I don't get the "Kelly shouting" argument??? I call that powerful singing. She is on key, not overshadowing the music, no feedback, no voice crackling, etc....
    Sometimes, it's like her voice gets away from her. Not off key but just not under control. Make no mistake - she's an awesome singer, extraordinarily talented but sometimes she kind of yells on key? yells with the music? Someone else explained it better.

Ehd
    FORT Newbie
    I also figured since almost everyone in the world knows who Kelly is and because they can't vote for their own country, they will probably vote for Kelly, right?? They might all not, but I have a feeling that Kelly is going to win this thing.........

Kelly Clarkson was virtually unknown outside the USA and Canada before World Idol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast