+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something that makes me alittle mad

Apple obsessed goddess Tangerinejoy's Avatar

something that makes me alittle mad

Something that pisses me off is the whole "themes". If someone is a country singer you cant make them sing motown or whatever. (Not that there are any country singers, mind you) I just think it makes ppl who have real talent look bad when they have to singing something out of thier reach. Making Jenny Gear sing Motown is like making Audrey sing rap. Anyone else agree that themes were kind of a bad idea?

FORT Regular
    while i believe the different themes allow the contestents to show some versatility it has got to be really tough for each of them to sing something they're not comfortable with and that performance has to be good enough to keep them going in the competition.

Nah. Tyler could've pulled it off. Bad song choice. He should've sung Ain't Nothin Like the Real Thing (originally a duet song but can easily be converted to a solo song). Country singer, Vince Gill, sung it.

Overall pretty much everyone were off in their song selections. Choosing the right song for your voice and style is a skill they have to learn too.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm torn between liking the themes, because in your career you may be asked to sing what you are not used to; and disliking it because some themes are just too way off . I loved the Audrey rap analogy Tangerine

Apple obsessed goddess Tangerinejoy's Avatar
    thanks I kinda wanna see that

I don't mind the themes, but I hope as they go on, they are a little more relaxed. Themes like Canadiana night, like last week, gave the Idols enough leeway that they all should have chosen a song they were comfortable with.

If they are too pigeon holed, like country night, rap night, etc... some performers will just not do well, much like Tyler did. He tried, but it just didn't work for him.

I hope that doesn't cost Tyler.

FORT Newbie
    I don't mind the themes, and I suppose it goes without saying that certain competitors will do better with some themes and worse with others. However, I think there's potential for a little unfairness with regards to the order of the themes, i.e., doing something like putting "Country Night" early on and giving a slight advantage to someone like Tyler (sad to see him go, btw.) Luckily, Cdn Idol hasn't seemed to pick too many "pigeon-holed" themes, unlike AI. I personally think the vast selection of Motown songs offered enough versatility for all the competitors; poor/mediocre song selection just seemed to plague most of them though!
    « Do you ever get down on your knees and thank God you know me and have access to my dementia? »

I agree that sometimes the themes are too pigeon-holed. The Canadiana theme worked awesome, as it has a wide library in a variety of styles. However, the MoTown theme was a disaster as it wasn't suited to a majority of the competitors. Too bad we can't have an 80's theme or even a Classic Rock theme. Lots of choices there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie A.
    I personally think the vast selection of Motown songs offered enough versatility for all the competitors; poor/mediocre song selection just seemed to plague most of them though!
    I wholeheartedly agree. I think the competitors were not knowledgeable enough of the Motown catalogue. So they picked songs that were extremely obvious (My girl, Grapevine). My other guess is that a limited playlist was in effect which prevented some singers from choosing songs that better fit their style (the Sherry St-Germain Syndrome?). That would be the downside to having theme shows.
    Last edited by happyblue; 08-16-2003 at 02:37 PM.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    The Canadian one was somewhat of a disaster too as Sarah M isn't the only Cdn songwiter. What happened to Alanis , Nelly Furtado , Sarah Harmer even Joni Mitchell . Hello !!!
    Not even starting to mention the male songwriters.
    (Neil Young for example)
    Two of them even did the same song !
    Who picks these songs?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast