+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Simon, Randy, and Paula judging the AI3 auditions?

FORT Fan

Are Simon, Randy, and Paula judging the AI3 auditions?

I posted about this earlier in the "AI3 Auditions Info" thread, but it didn't get many views...so I decided to start a new thread...

Does anyone know if Randy, Simon, and Paula have been present at the AI3 auditions? I know Simon has been in the UK for Pop Idol and Randy had the gastric bypass surgery...has that kept them from participating? They were not present in the clips showed on American Juniors (only Ryan Seacrest was). IMO it would be a mistake not to have the judges present for the auditions.

Hmmm, I didn't see the clips on AJ, but I do hope all judges were there.

The prospective contestants do have to go through preliminary judging with production staff so the numbers can be cut before they actually get to sing in front of Simon , Paula and Randy.

Could it be that the footage on AJ was from those preliminary stages?
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fanatic
    fluff, do you mean registration? Like a sort of eligibility check?

I probably think so, since Simon was at London at the time they were showing L.A. hopefuls camping, which I found odd.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Hmmm, I didn't see the clips on AJ, but I do hope all judges were there.

The prospective contestants do have to go through preliminary judging with production staff so the numbers can be cut before they actually get to sing in front of Simon , Paula and Randy.

Could it be that the footage on AJ was from those preliminary stages?
    They only showed the people auditioning when they were outside waiting. We didn't get to see any of the auditions inside, which would've solved this mystery.

When Simon was talking in his awkward little interview with Ryan, it seemed as if he was not there at the auditions. He didn't make any reference to having seen anyone audition.

Also, isn't the whole point of airing the auditions for Simon to make fun of the bad people? Otherwise, what's the point of seeing all these horrible singers? I would think that if Simon was there, 19E would want to market AI3 by showing at least one of his comments.

This is all just speculation on my part. Hopefully, someone out there has some answers...

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AI Critic
    fluff, do you mean registration? Like a sort of eligibility check?
    I know you asked fluff, but I felt like interjecting here...

From what I know (fluff & others- you may know more about this), the prospective contestants have to audition in front of a preliminary panel before moving on to Simon, Randy, and Paula. I suppose the purpose of this is to quickly weed out the people who are just bad and boring. If they are bad in an entertaining way (i.e. worth airing on TV), then they can move on to the real judges.

FORT Fanatic
    Ohhh, thanks. I never knew that. So for season 2, was there originally 70,000, or more?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AI Critic
    Ohhh, thanks. I never knew that. So for season 2, was there originally 70,000, or more?
    I'm pretty sure the 70,000 meant the total people who showed up for the auditions...but many of these 70,000 never made it to audition in front of Simon, Randy, and Paula.

FORT Fan
    I just had a horrible vision. What IF Simon and Randy were not available for auditions, and Paula was the only one judging? Yikes...would it be possible for her to let everyone through? Someone please bring me back to reality and tell me what is really going on with the judges for the auditions.

My understanding is that there is actually a 4 or 5 step process before you get in front of the 3 judges.

First, in the line, they come through and ask you to sing a little. If they like you, they give you a wristband. Those with wristbands get inside.

Then, you sing in front of a couple of lackey interns. If they like you, they send you to the producers.

Then you sing in front of the producers. If they like you, you can sing in front of the judges...

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the process.

kelly clarkson said in an interview that she had to go through 3 auditions before she got to simon, randy and paula. i would assume the same was true for ai2 and now for ai3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast