+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Ages Hurting the Group?

FORT Fan

Are Ages Hurting the Group?

Now I love Tori, and I love Lucy, but I don't exactly love them together. Little Tori's only nine, and Lucy's 14; meaning when Tori's 14, Lucy will be 19. They're going to be (and are) at different points in both their lives and music. This alone is going to be a major set-back for the group. When FOX set the age-limit (wasn't it like 6-13 or something?) didn't they realize the problem? Different maturity levels, vocal ability, dance skills, etc. are going to be hard to fit into one group. The producers could have A) changed the age limit, or B) made two groups; one with older kids and one with younger. Then each group could grow as one and probabaly become much more successful. Not to mention stay "hot" for more that a year or so... Any thoughts?

I agree totally with that. When Lucy won i was sooo happy!! But when Chauncey and Taylor and Tori ran over it looked.... well, funny.
    AJ is my true American Junior!
    ~Heather~

I dont really agree--because they made the age limits 6-13 so that shouldnt be a problem--i dont think the people that thought up this show were thinkin that the 12 & 13 year olds were gonna be really short---and theres gonna be all different sizes just because Tori and Taylor are short doesnt mean the rest of the group has to be short. And the 13 year olds have more mature voices (Lucy & Chantel) so that would help the group out.
    LUCY HALE IS AWESOME!!!!

FORT Fan
    I understand what you're saying, LucyHaleFan, and I don't think it will be a problem now. However, i think the age difference might lead to an early downfall of the group because Lucy, for example, might want to move on and do more serious things with her music.

This show was created by one man, Simon Fuller, who is more of an expert at marketing than he is at music - he just uses musical artists as his commodity. When he set the age limit at 6-13 yrs, he wasn't thinking about which ages would fit together the best in a musical group, he was thinking about which ages would make for the most interesting television. His focus with this show was to make a television show that got high ratings first, use it to present a smorgasbord of talented kids to America and then let them pick out their favorites. Then he would package these very popular kids into a product that he could market through CDs, television, personal appearances, commercials, clothing, toys, etc. I'm sure he could take any five kids and with the right music and production values create a marketable group.

Ages don't matter in this scenario. What matters is developing high ratings and discovering very popular kids. I believe that the only reason the age limit was set as low as 6 was to have cute kids for the audition sequences, to make the show more interesting and boost ratings. You'll remember that we saw a lot of really young kids doing interviews, whom we didn't see performing. If this had been about picking the best group, they probably would have spent that time showing us the nearly invisible semi-finalists, like Tyler, Quentin, Jordan, Lauren, etc.

The varying ages, heights & voices of the kids do not pose any problem for 19E when it comes to putting this group together. The GIANT problem they have is that because almost nobody is watching this show, these are not the most well-known kids in America right now - which is what 19E was hoping to have. And I doubt they have created a large enough fanbase to support the creation of a CD, much less interest anyone in purchasing the merchandising rights to this group.

FORT Fan
    EXCELLENT and INTELLIGENT post Zippy....I sooo agree...if you look at the uk websites about the 19 entertainment groups, you see how they marketed them on everything from tee shirts to backpacks to stuffed animals...they are master marketers.

with the aj's their biggest problem is the dismal ratings. 19 entertainment is NOT infallable..they had a show "all american girl" that I and about 6 other people watched LOL>> it tanked so bad abc pulled it and put a quickie ending/winner show on abcfamily on a saturday afternoon LOL>.

19 entertainment is no doubt scrambling as we speak....trying to figure a way to reward these 5 "winners" with a quickie cd, market it and then what to "do" with them. I expect they will all venture off to Canada to charm our northern neighbors on a segment of Canadian Idol??

IF 19 is smart, I do think there could be a good market for the kids in specials...like I said before, a Thanksgiving special, Christmas special with this gang could be cute....maybe some kids videos???

Kid videos are the largest segment of the home video market in America. I'm sure 19E is very interested in that. But I still think they need more TV exposure or something to build a builder fanbase. They yet might come up with something to fill their slot on the FOX schedule in Oct that will introduce this group to America. It will be very interesting to see what they do with the one-hr show on Aug 19. That's when we'll find out just what this group is supposed to be about. If they tie in some early AI3 audition footage, they might even get good ratings.

FORT Regular
    I don't think the problem will be only height. The problem also has to do with maturity and the types of songs, videos, etc. that are suitable for kids of different of ages.

FORT Fan
    Great posts Zippy, but I think everyone's missing my point. The group's future, not having anything to do with the television show, is going to be hindered greatly beacuse of the differnce.

GroveingIt, you're probably right about the effect it will have on their quality as a musical group. I'm just not sure that was ever the point. I was very surprised when I heard the age limit for auditions. It makes sense to me that they would have wanted kids in the 12-14 yr age range. But I'm no expert in the music biz, so I'll wait and see what they have in mind for the group.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast