+ Reply to Thread

Thread: camera effects and voting

FORT Newbie

camera effects and voting

I know I may be repeating an idea, but I want to share anyways. First of all I think it sucks that certain people get better camera effects, than others. Don't get me wrong I like every Junior for different reasons, but it seems as though though those four that have gotten into the group have had great great camera effects. Taylor had the psychodelic background and the camera shifts that accentuated the idea of a rolling river and her rolling shoulders. Also, the camera seemed to glide with Taylor. Tori had the close up with the headbob thing, and the camera shifts to get her at the best angles of her routine. Chauncey, although I didn't see the actual performance, I did see the clip with the stardust. And this last week Lucy had the psychodelic background. But none of the Juniors that haven't made it into the top three have anymore than basic camera shifts. Also, I think that only one vote is allowed per phone line. I see people saying that they voted over 100 times. Unless there are very few people voting, I believe that only one vote per phone line counts. Even if you don't believe this, I would think it best to vote for the ultimate favorite before putting in other votes. If it is very few voters that can make some sense, too. I think that a good portion of people that watch the show, don't vote. Also, ratings are low, for one reason because unless you have a special box that records television viewing it doesn't pick it up on for the Neilson ratings. I know that people watching AJ on basic cable like me, aren't counted in the ratings. Finally, my last note it about my pet peeve on performing and that is being overly concerned about making a mistake and concentrating too hard on the performance. Case in point, Danielle is a wonderful singer, but when she gets with the group performances, she cannot hold her own. She is too concerned with making her moves perfect that she watches herself and times herself to keep from making a move early. During "Make Your Own Kind of Music" she kept looking at her feet, and during "Its Still Rock and Roll To Me" she was relying too heavily on the others for cues on where she would be, especially on the part after the jumping and they were gliding forward, her eyes were on Jordan's feet. Another case in point, Lucy, during the mini-group with Jordan and Danielle, couldn't pull off the jump/glide routine, and I knew from her body language that she was uncomfortable trying to get her tall body to keep up with Jordan. One of the reasons I like Jordan is the fact that she engages the audiences and doesn't concentrate on whether or not she's on cue. She always looks comfortable, because it is obvious to me that she gets the routine down and then perfects it more. From going to two Tae Kwon Do tournaments, I have realized that the worst mistake is to concentrate on whether or not a move is excecuted well and on cue, because this only helps to accentuate the mistake and to bring attention to it. I think it is best to perfect the routine, so well that it comes without thinking, but if the routine isn't known to the level it should be, the best thing to do is to still not concentrate on the performance and instead engage the audience. If there looking at your face, than they can't see the mistake that you made with the timing of a move. And when a mistake is made, it looks more innocent than what looks like a lack of practice.

FORT Fan
    The Neilson box is only given to a small percentage of the population, because otherwise it would be too difficult to keep track of. However each person (or family) with a box represents a few thousand people. They count the number of boxes that were tuned to the channel and then multiply it by however many people. Its not completely accurate, but its close enough.
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

Morgan's Future Wife LovingMorganB's Avatar
    One vote per phone line is INCORRECT.

The producers said that they know people are voting more than once, and they WANT them to be voting more than once. They had someone spend 2 hours redialing a number to figure out what they thought was an acceptable amount of votes to be getting in, and they thought anywhere up to around 1600 should be ok.

There was a quote with Nigel Lythgoe or someone like that saying it was the whole purpose of the show to allow people to vote as much as they want, but I can't find it right now.
    - Always And Forever Loving Morgan Burke

Morgan fan site!

Street Team!

FORT Regular
    It makes sense that people can vote more than once. Otherwise we know that maybe 4 million people total or less watched the program according to the ratings. Hey I might be wrong about that number but no more than by 2-3 million either way.

What is the percentage of these that vote. Maybe 5%?

Yet -- Ryan announced that there were 6 million votes. Not one from each household. A thousand from some, and many more with none.

Bruce

FORT Newbie

voting

Quote Originally Posted by Bruceeisner
    It makes sense that people can vote more than once. Otherwise we know that maybe 4 million people total or less watched the program according to the ratings. Hey I might be wrong about that number but no more than by 2-3 million either way.

What is the percentage of these that vote. Maybe 5%?

Yet -- Ryan announced that there were 6 million votes. Not one from each household. A thousand from some, and many more with none.

Bruce
    This was not my main point, but I think it is ludicrous to take these rating too literally. Its all about statistics and when the boxes are representative of a group that does not have these boxes, than it is oly a guess of the people watching. I'm not thinking that this show is getting bucca ratings, but I do think more people are watching than is thought. For example those who watch AJ on tape that a friend record for them, aren't added to the ratings. And on a different note I think that if people are voting several times by themselves, than not many people that watch the show vote. I don't. I like all these kids, and think they all deserve to make it. Some I do see solo, like Danielle, cause she does not seem to be the group type.

My main point was the camera work and my pet peeve of being over concerned about perfomance

Quote Originally Posted by slayereve
    This was not my main point, but I think it is ludicrous to take these rating too literally.....

My main point was the camera work and my pet peeve of being over concerned about perfomance
    I agree, I don't believe in ratings. It's interesting to get an idea of the ball park figure, but I never take it literally. Same goes for polls.

I agree with the camera work, too. It seems some people get better camera work than others. Camera work can make a performance look better or worst to the viewer watching from home.

+ Reply to Thread