+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Think Shocked Fox/19E The Most?

FORT Fan
    Also wanted to add that if this was a show to find ONE junior idol, I guarantee we would see better singing talent.

Since 19E decided to look for a group, they figured it'd be ok to let a few more marketable, less talented singers slide through the cracks i.e. Tori, Taylor, Jordan, Canyon.

IMO this concept has potential but they need to limit it to finding ONE junior idol and re-think the age limit. Some of these kids are way too young to be on reality TV, and you can't have 9 year old Tori competing with 14 year old Lucy. Have a contest to find one idol and make the age range something like 12-14, and you may have something there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth
    These kids(blacks) probably have more opportunities than kids like the Thompsons given the current landscape. My theory is that there's plenty of them out there, but they figured they'd find better opportunities than a cheesy reality show/pop group.
    I very much disagree. Lots of blacks out their don't have the opportunities like whites do. yah, it has gotten better since the 60's, but still, whites still are more favored, that's not even a question. I absolutely don't believe lots of young black girls out there said "I'll find better opportunities than this Junior show." Where are they going to find better opportunities? If you tell me mtv or sitcoms, that's ridiculous. Only 0.001% of blacks ever make it on mtv or a sitcom. Out of every person, black or white, who makes it on mtv, there are thousands of other who failed, and many of them are black, so when they see something like AJ tryouts, you bet they are going to flock to it. Whites, hispanice, asian, blacks, all races will try for AI and AJ.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by yahright
    I very much disagree. Lots of blacks out their don't have the opportunities like whites do. yah, it has gotten better since the 60's, but still, whites still are more favored, that's not even a question. I absolutely don't believe lots of young black girls out there said "I'll find better opportunities than this Junior show." Where are they going to find better opportunities? If you tell me mtv or sitcoms, that's ridiculous. Only 0.001% of blacks ever make it on mtv or a sitcom. Out of every person, black or white, who makes it on mtv, there are thousands of other who failed, and many of them are black, so when they see something like AJ tryouts, you bet they are going to flock to it. Whites, hispanice, asian, blacks, all races will try for AI and AJ.
    Whites are more favored in TV...but you are exagerrating the ratio. Sitcoms are being replaced by reality TV...there are very few sitcoms with kids anymore, and many of those sitcoms feature black families.

In the music industry, black kids have more opportunities than white kids because they can fit the R&B/soul genre and easily get radioplay, rotation on MTV/BET. I just named Monica, Mya, Ashanti, Aaliyah, Solange, Brandy...there's at least a few more of these girls out there.

There are solo (i.e. not group) opportunities out there for young black female soul singers, who are still very marketable. The point I'm trying to make is these type of girls do not sing pop music- they sing R&B/soul. Why would they want to give up their shot at a solo R&B/soul career for a spot in a bubblegum pop group?

I am simply going to duck the racial issues and say that while I only watched the initial auduition show it was clear on that show that there was some African-American girls there, come on NONE of them had talent???????? :dinosaur

Not likely, just another foolish decision in the grand glorious AJ trainwreck.
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by 1083
    I am simply going to duck the racial issues and say that while I only watched the initial auduition show it was clear on that show that there was some African-American girls there, come on NONE of them had talent???????? :dinosaur

Not likely, just another foolish decision in the grand glorious AJ trainwreck.
    I don't remember a whole lot of African-American girls auditioning...there may have been a few, but almost all the kids were white. The African-American girl I remember getting the furthest was Jadzia Pittman (she of the dramatic pause), who probably would not have gotten far in the competition.

I honestly don't think that African-American girls want to sing manufactured bubblegum pop kind of stuff. They grow up idolizing the Monicas, Ashantis, and Beyonces, and they want to be R&B/soul divas. I am a musician who was worked with several African-American singers and they would never touch the teen pop kind of genre- this is like suicide for an aspiring R&B/soul artist.

FORT Regular
    I think a CD is part of the "prize" for the "winners" who make it into the group, but I'm not sure on that. I don't know if it specifies whether the CD has to be full-length. If 19E can get by with it, I think they will put out a single with this group, then saying "over-out" and wash their hands of the whole juniors debacle.
    If the contract the group "wins" is for an extended period of time, the band may get to sing a song on AI3, which will be the peak of their success.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouischili
    I think a CD is part of the "prize" for the "winners" who make it into the group, but I'm not sure on that. I don't know if it specifies whether the CD has to be full-length. If 19E can get by with it, I think they will put out a single with this group, then saying "over-out" and wash their hands of the whole juniors debacle.
    If the contract the group "wins" is for an extended period of time, the band may get to sing a song on AI3, which will be the peak of their success.
    Interesting...

Here's a link to the agreement these kids signed (I've posted this previously in another thread): http://www.americanjuniors.com/show...ement_minor.pdf

This agreement specifically says:
    "You understand that it is anticipated that the winner of the Program may be awarded a talent representation contract, a merchandising contract and a recording contract."

So basically, all these kids win is a "contract." I'm assuming that there is a monetary advance attached to this "contract," but nowhere near the seven-figure advance that Ruben and Kelly received. And those of you who understand the music industry know that a recording contract does not mean that the record label is obligated to put out a CD...it only means that the record label has the "privelege" to release the artist's CD.

Assuming that the advance isn't too costly for 19E, they may end up deciding that the 5 kids America chooses are not worth marketing...then they could cut ties without releasing any single or album, whatsoever. This would be awfully cruel and unprofessional, but let's say that 19E projects only 10,000 copies sold of the CD. No way is it worth it for 19E to spend money promoting the CD...at the end of the day, it's still a business and if 19E concludes that these kids are un-marketable, they have all the power in the world to do absolutely nothing with them.

FORT Fan
    Here's what I expect...

19E releases a "One Step Closer" single not long after the show ends. They invest significant time and energy promoting this single- getting this group appearances on Fox, Tonight Show, Good Morning America, any possible talk/variety show.

IF this single does well, then 19E will launch a full-blown campaign to market a CD from this group, and probably a DVD/Video and maybe even a TV show.

But if the single doesn't do well, it would make more sense for 19E simply to dissolve the group. They probably would keep all 5 kids under management deals and explore other options for them- they could view these kids as more valuable assets by splitting them up.

Well, we're almost at the finale, and someone finally plays the race card

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    Well, we're almost at the finale, and someone finally plays the race card
    Well, the sex card and the image card was already played.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast