+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Judges Need To Be Tougher

FORT Fan

The Judges Need To Be Tougher

For the first 4 weeks of the competition, I actually was impressed by the judges...they were a little too complimentary, but they knew how to be tasteful with constructive criticism and did a good job of pointing out the kids who stood out.

But this past week, I was very disapointed with the judges comments. I don't know if they are growing too attached to these kids or if they may be receiving orders from 19E (not to start another conspiracy)...but they were too willing to let obvious flaws slide. I saw so many flaws slide without one note from the judges: Jordan, Chantel, and Chauncey all had obvious pitch problems, Morgan was closing his eyes instead of engaging with the audience, AJ was singing in too high of a key.

The judges may think that they are obscuring these flaws from the public...but instead, the judges are just losing credibility because I'm sure many of us see these flaws.

By avoiding giving these kids constructive criticism, the judges are actually keeping these kids from improving. The only one I've really seen improve throughout the show is Chauncey- Chauncey's stage presence has grown so much from his first performance, and if Gladys hadn't commented on Chauncey looking "scared," he might not have worked so hard to improve.

I'm not saying that the judges should go "Simon" on these kids...but if you look at the AI competitions, there were contestants who took the judges critiques seriously and worked hard to improve- the most obvious examples being Clay Aiken, Kimberley Locke, and Christina Christian.

I can sense that pretty much all of these kids were capable of better this past week...but we may never get to see them perform up to their potential if the judges don't help them out.

FORT Fogey
    I agree..... The judges are probably told to what extent to say, and in their heads they probably are constantly saying, "They're just kids". The judges not "helping out" can really hurt a contestant.... some could take the comments from the judges, and improve, possibly leading to them making the group because of that. I also don't think a lot of the kids who are getting into the Top 3 would be those certain weeks if the judges had been a bit tougher, or atleast more truthful... Don't get me wrong, none of these kids are bad, and none of them deserve Simon-like bashing, but sometimes a constructive critique would be better than a white lie compliment. JMO

-Rach

FORT Newbie
    TheTruth,

Amen, brother

i've said it from the start, bring on simon

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, I think it'd be funny to see Simon break little kids' hearts.

-Rach

Simon to Lauren Klena: "I haven't heard singing like that since Ryan Starr and no, that's not a good thing. Absolutely horrific."

FORT Fan
    I never want to see Simon around these kids...but I wouldn't mind seeing Randy Jackson on this show. Besides for all his annoying "dudes" and "dawgs," Randy knows his stuff, is respectful to the contestants, and will point it out if someone is singing out of tune.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth
    I never want to see Simon around these kids...but I wouldn't mind seeing Randy Jackson on this show. Besides for all his annoying "dudes" and "dawgs," Randy knows his stuff, is respectful to the contestants, and will point it out if someone is singing out of tune.
    They should just have Randy as a judge instead of having a guest judge every week. That is such a great idea. Randy gives constructive critiscism and for the most part was "right-on" with his judging on American Idol.

you know what i want to see is simon and paula judge this together see what they're gonna fight over

They should change the judges, except for Debbie Gibson, she gives great comments, oh yah, she's hot, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast