+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Admit your biased pick here, don't lie

FORT Newbie
    TheTruth,

I listened to Lucy's mp3s. She is clearly in the top 2.

I apologize if I am wrong about Debbie Gibson. I don't believe that I am. Generally, the judges just slap the contestants on the back and send them on their way. I judged Debbie's criticism, if there was any, as showing that she cares about Lucy and thinks she can raise her performances up to a new level.

What do you think about a new format where each contestant is required to sing a variety of song types? Singing the exact songs would not be the best method, becasue the audience would not like it. As an alternative, the producers could require each person to choose a selection from a defined genre. Instead of announcing a winner each week,the top 5 vote getters over the course of the 5 weeks would become the singing group.

Can you imagine Taylor and Tori trying to sing any of the songs that Lucy chose?

Quote Originally Posted by VoteForTayNTori
    Taylor: Can sing hair-raising ballads, plays the guitar, and can write music, not to mention has more rythm than any 11 year old I know.
    am i missing something? since when did taylor sing a ballad at all, much less a "hair-raising" ballad?

my biased opinions:

danielle - best pure singer
    lucy - best power singer (i still hold the opinion she has no chance of hitting it big solo...yet, her vocal style is comparable to kelly clarkson and when you put compare the 2, there really is no competition)
    katelyn - not the best singer, but there's just something about her that i enjoy watching (not just her looks either although that doesn't hurt)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfs

I apologize if I am wrong about Debbie Gibson. I don't believe that I am. Generally, the judges just slap the contestants on the back and send them on their way. I judged Debbie's criticism, if there was any, as showing that she cares about Lucy and thinks she can raise her performances up to a new level.
    I am 100% sure Debbie has never said anything negative to Lucy. Debbie hardly ever says anything negative to any of the contestants. What Debbie SHOULD be doing is offering constructive criticism...but instead Debbie each week says that she is satisfied and that Lucy is already a star.

What do you think about a new format where each contestant is required to sing a variety of song types? Singing the exact songs would not be the best method, becasue the audience would not like it. As an alternative, the producers could require each person to choose a selection from a defined genre. Instead of announcing a winner each week,the top 5 vote getters over the course of the 5 weeks would become the singing group.
    I don't like that format because you are not letting everyone perform at their best...and EVERY week is crucial in a 5 week competition. In the AI competition, I thought it was awfully unfair to have a country and a disco week. How is Trenyce supposed to handle a country song? Or Clay supposed to handle a disco song? I just feel that this type of thing is unncessary- how many professional singers out there can handle more than one genre?

I don't like the year theme either- I'm pretty sure it's just a way for 19E to get cheap clearance for songs.

If they wanted to be fair, every week should be free-choice...let these contestants shine at their best. Because there's some kids in this competition that haven't been shining...and I know they are capable of so much better. Let them choose any song they want and show off their own voice, individuality, style. JMO

FORT Newbie
    That sounds good. I never watched American Idol and I don't know what 19E is. I wasn't sure if my suggestion was a helpful one. The goal of my suggestion was to force certain individuals to display whatever vocal ability they may have through a variety of performances, instead of sliding through with a "Cheesburgers for Me" type of thing.

As a golfer, I know the hitting driver off of the tee is only a small part of the program. Fairway woods, long irons, approach shots, chipping, bunker play, putting, and playing in wet or windy conditons are all important.

It would be nice to hear everyone perform a variety of material.

FORT Fan
    That sounds good. I never watched American Idol and I don't know what 19E is. I wasn't sure if my suggestion was a helpful one. The goal of my suggestion was to force certain individuals to display whatever vocal ability they may have through a variety of performances, instead of sliding through with a "Cheesburgers for Me" type of thing.

As a golfer, I know the hitting driver off of the tee is only a small part of the program. Fairway woods, long irons, approach shots, chipping, bunker play, putting, and playing in wet or windy conditons are all important.

It would be nice to hear everyone perform a variety of material.
    Versatility is important. But forcing contestants to sing a certain type of song is almost like rigging the competition.

I think the contestants should all realize that versatility is important and choose a variety of songs...but stay within the realm that they know they can handle.

The song choices this past week were just so wrong. Jordan has a ton of personality and not the greatest singing voice- she should not be singing "Sealed With a Kiss." Danielle has a soft, graceful tone to her voice but isn't the greatest dancer- she should not be singing a lame karaoke song like "Locomotion." Maybe Jordan and Danielle should have switched songs. My point is...if we let these kids choose any song they want from any year, any genre, etc...we would not see these ridiculous song choices. Singing is tough enough as it is...just let them sing what they want and see if they can shine.
    Last edited by TheTruth; 07-25-2003 at 09:04 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    lucy - best power singer (i still hold the opinion she has no chance of hitting it big solo...yet, her vocal style is comparable to kelly clarkson and when you put compare the 2, there really is no competition)
    superfly- I can tell you know what you're talking about...

But comparing Lucy to Kelly Clarkson? Are you kidding me? Kelly Clarkson is probably one of the 5 most talented pop stars today...the only singers who can compare to her vocally are Celine, Mariah, Whitney.

Other than both being white girls with big voices who are on related talent shows, I don't see the connection.

Kelly has a much more of a clean, soulful sound to her voice and has at least an octave more of range than Lucy...if anyone compares to Kelly in this competition, it's Chantel who has a similar tone....obviously Chantel isn't as good as Kelly, but I have a feeling that Chantel sounds like Kelly would have at 13.

If Lucy compares to any idol contestant vocally, it's Kimberley Locke who has that similar Nashville drawl and effortless vibrato.

Lucy is 13, Kelly is 21. You can't compare them...of course Lucy isn't as good as Kelly. That doesn't mean she won't have a career in music.

If this was a competition to find America's most talented 13 year old vocalist (not factoring in personality, stage presence, etc.)- Lucy might be it. This girl is a phenom...she has power and control well beyond her years and will only get better. She's not a star yet because she doesn't have the x-factor. But if I were working in major record label A&R...I would sign Lucy, give her a few years to mature, then market her as a "young Celine Dion" in her late teens.
    Last edited by TheTruth; 07-25-2003 at 09:28 PM.

well that's why i said she can't go solo "yet" despite what some on this forum may think. i think lucy may be losing a lot of votes due to people thinking that solo is a better route for her...well guess what people, its NOT gonna happen at this stage in her life. if she doesn't make the group, she'll just go back to school and continue her life, same with danielle. lucy definitely has the most marketable pop voice in this competition. danielle has a voice just as good if not better than lucy but it is more suited for stuff like broadway or disney movies. one knock i have on lucy is that i have yet to hear her hit high notes and i'm not sure that she can.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    well that's why i said she can't go solo "yet" despite what some on this forum may think. i think lucy may be losing a lot of votes due to people thinking that solo is a better route for her...well guess what people, its NOT gonna happen at this stage in her life. if she doesn't make the group, she'll just go back to school and continue her life, same with danielle. lucy definitely has the most marketable pop voice in this competition. danielle has a voice just as good if not better than lucy but it is more suited for stuff like broadway or disney movies. one knock i have on lucy is that i have yet to hear her hit high notes and i'm not sure that she can.
    I don't think that hitting high notes is necessarily the mark of a good singer. Quite frankly, all those whistle-tone notes that Mariah hits are just rather annoying.

If you're looking for Lucy's range, listen to "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"...she flipped her style, sang in a much higher key, and although she came in a little under the note on one of the runs, she impressed me with her range.

As far as Danielle being better suited for Broadway, that's another judge comment that I felt was inappropriate and wish hadn't been made. The only reason that anyone would think that Danielle is better suited for Broadway is because she sang "Good Morning Starshine." Her voice is not theatrical at all nor is it a typical pop voice...I see her as a soprano voice in an ensemble group, or as a solo artist with a live band behind her when she gets older.

FORT Fan
    Sorry to go off topic in this thread earlier...but if I had a biased pick, not based off performances or anything...

I'd go with Chantel or Danielle...I just love the tone of their voices. I still think Lucy's the best vocalist...I'm just not as fond of Lucy's vocal tone as much as Chantel and Danielle.

I've only heard them all sing for at least 5 seconds during the recaps and then some longer than others. My biased pic is Chauncey. He's just the only one I like even though I think his singing is so-so maybe...AJ has a nice voice but he's hard on the eyes. Sorry I can't even look at the kid. =\ Some of the girls have nice voices..but they seem kinda boring I dunno. Oh well just passing through...

Oh wow..first post on this page that has an avatar! Woo..pictures!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast